X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twenty years ago today

Manchester City 0 Bury 1

https://twitter.com/jamesisaburyfan/status/963674381477122048

I used to work with an old school Citeh fan in the late 90s - I'm sure watching a team with Kit Symons, Richard Edghill and Lee Badbuy in it took years off his life.

Comment

Um.... "Love tug works out"

Is this a Northern thing?

Comment

I lived in Manchester around that time. I'm sure by around this point of the season, City were languishing in mid table until they hit a late run. They were desperately bad for a time though.

Comment

I had the same question as Thistle.

It reads rather differently from over here.

Comment

This was probably the low point of that whole tour around the divisions for City. There are a few others that are talked about, but the home defeat to Bury is by far the most "popular" of the oh-my-god-we-were-shit memory days.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
              This was probably the low point of that whole tour around the divisions for City. There are a few others that are talked about, but the home defeat to Bury is by far the most "popular" of the oh-my-god-we-were-shit memory days.
              That's what still rankles. Losing to Bury in the second tier is seen as the lowest of the low but a quick look at Soccerbase reveals that in 98/99 they lost to Lincoln, Reading, York and that Wycombe did the double over them in the third.

The Bury game prompted the ousting of Franny Lee. It was a poisonous afternoon on Moss Side, certainly. David Makin from JD Sports rang BBC GMR after the game to say he was launching a bid to get rid of Lee, and I've spoken to Jimmy Wagg from the radio station about this for the next book.

Comment

I remember York more, but that is more a function of actually being there. Wycombe is the other one that gets some votes. There was a good amount of time when it looked like they would finish mid-table.

Comment

This was Barnsley's year in the Premiership. They did the double over Man City in the promotion season, which IIRC was seen as another measure of how low City had sunk.

Comment

One of the big things about this game was the City fan who ran from the Kippax, onto the pitch, and tore his season ticket up, to cheers from all four sides of the ground. Thanks to some help from the Bluemoon forum, I've been able to speak to him and get his memories for 'Things Can Only Get Better: Bury's mid-90s rise under Stan Ternent'.

Comment

I often wonder how my old Man City supporting mate, who stuck with them through all the bad times, would feel now if he was still around. He used to go on holiday as soon as the season was over if Man United had won the league - trying to find the most obscure destination to minimise any chance of running into anyone who wanted to talk about football. He had a collection of King of the Kippax that almost took over his flat. Oddly though given his political leanings, I reckon he'd have really struggled to keep supporting the club given the source of their funds these days.
                      Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 26-02-2018, 06:10.

Comment

Working...
                      X