Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobster Boy (was: This Jordan Peterson Guy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't remember if I've mentioned this or not, but I tried to read "12 Rules for Life" last summer, because it was 99p on Kindle. I got to the 3rd rule and gave up, not because I was offended but basically because these were all ideas I'd internally debated and reasoned before my mid-twenties, it was just obvious stuff anyone with an inquisitive mind would consider and work out for themselves. It just wasn't an interesting read.

But I can totally understand why Cristiano Ronaldo or any inquisitive jock would get into Peterson. It definitely taps into a massive academically curious but not participatory audience (sub-academic?)

Is there a sort of polar version of Peterson, someone who guides you into gentle but large philosophical ideas, but from the perspective that nobody is to blame, we are as equal as we want to be and we should all go about our business however makes us happy?

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
      Can't remember if I've mentioned this or not, but I tried to read "12 Rules for Life" last summer, because it was 99p on Kindle. I got to the 3rd rule and gave up, not because I was offended but basically because these were all ideas I'd internally debated and reasoned before my mid-twenties, it was just obvious stuff anyone with an inquisitive mind would consider and work out for themselves. It just wasn't an interesting read.

But I can totally understand why Cristiano Ronaldo or any inquisitive jock would get into Peterson. It definitely taps into a massive academically curious but not participatory audience (sub-academic?)
      Yeah, he's a "get your act together" motivational speaker, and it appears he became that as a college professor years before he was famous. So it's unclear to me how intentional his career trajectory has been. He's not the first academic to become a celebrity through a best-selling book anyway. As you say, the core of his shtick seems to be basically what kids should be getting from their parents by their teens, but it's leavened with some weird theories. He also seems psychologically damaged to me, but well-meaning. I'm more interested in why he's so famous, i.e. what void he's evidently filling, than in his ideas per se, but the explanation would have to be in those ideas.

Is there a sort of polar version of Peterson, someone who guides you into gentle but large philosophical ideas, but from the perspective that nobody is to blame, we are as equal as we want to be and we should all go about our business however makes us happy?
      The Jesus from Godspell?

Comment

...and like the majority of academics I've encountered, he takes himself too seriously. Red card in that respect.

Comment

Comment

Welcomed into a school today. That's some scary shit going on.

Comment

Christ, she's a publicity seeking twat. But to be honest, he would be a great speaker to get in for a secondary school student lecturer. Kids would be easily able to debate with his ideas, they're accessible and meaningful for them. For the majority of posters who do not work in secondary schools in this forum, you cannot comprehend how much kids at this age are fascinated by gender politics.

Comment

Who's the worse person - her or him?

Comment

Birbalsingh is infinitely more dangerous. If you have 100 Jordan Petersons, nothing much is going to change from the current status quo. As I said above, he says nothing new, he's just lucked out on being the focal point on controversial ideas about gender roles and identity, 100 other Petersons already exist. But 100 Birbalsingh's would cause more damage than we can possibly comprehend. God knows there are 100 Birbalsingh wannabes in the making, but sharing her ideas isn't hard, getting the funding to put them into practice is nigh on impossible.

Comment

Yeah I think I'd agree she's more dangerous. But I think he might be a worse person, essentially. It's a very close-run thing either way, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      He "traveled to Russia in early January seeking an unorthodox treatment for his physical dependence on the drug clonazepam", as you do. And it nearly killed him, apparently.
                      I can see how you get addicted to clonazepam and become like Jordan Peterson. It is a wonderful "I don't give a fuck any more" drug. It is one of the few prescriptions I ended up flushing because it had to be out of my life.

Comment

Birbalsingh is infinitely more dangerous. If you have 100 Jordan Petersons, nothing much is going to change from the current status quo. As I said above, he says nothing new, he's just lucked out on being the focal point on controversial ideas about gender roles and identity, 100 other Petersons already exist. But 100 Birbalsingh's would cause more damage than we can possibly comprehend. God knows there are 100 Birbalsingh wannabes in the making, but sharing her ideas isn't hard, getting the funding to put them into practice is nigh on impossible.
                        Isn't she close to some of the ERG Unchained mob currently infesting Whitehall? Plenty of money to be had from them.

Comment

But presumably the goal is to convert state education to her model, whereby kids are just crammed for tests and there's no imagination allowed to develop? Back to the 50s, or any decade from 1880-1950. Kes-world. Florida is already well down that path (arguably it never left it) so the UK (or at least England) following is not implausible. It would be sold as the only way to get kids out of the ghetto in a world where's there's no magical money tree for actually spending money on a truly imaginative education.

Comment

I bumped into a friend last night who'd been working earlier in the evening at Wembley Arena where yer man had been pontificating to a few thousand, er, acolytes. He said that he listened for a while, and decided that it was just bollocks, so he left and ended up in the pub in Wealdstone...

Comment

https://twitter.com/olimould/status/1575931329430302722?s=20&t=Gvvl4p922FnlPe9pqG2HZg

Comment

When did the title change?

Comment

When I was asked to a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Jordan Peterson's Chinese Sperm Factory Milking Tweet

Comment

Lobster Boy: The Race Science Years

Comment

I'm now kind of glad YouTube app keeps crashing and closing on my iPhone.

Comment

That's a pity because the part of that clip from 8:49 to 9:10 might be the funniest thing you'll see this year.

Comment

Working...
                                            X