Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobster Boy (was: This Jordan Peterson Guy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NHH View Post
    Until the media who encourage this run out of money. Which is thankfully happening.
    In theory, yes, but in practice it’s more complicated than that I think, the "Outrage business" has become a thriving industry and all media want their piece of the pie, so disappearing media/programmes are replaced by others and so on.

Many of these new reactionaries in France have become mainstream (eg Eric Zemmour) and are now ubiquitous. If one radio channel decides to ignore him, another two step into the breach. Even those who have been more or less sidelined by the main TV and radio channels still manage to thrive elsewhere, it's the age of the multimedia after all, so plenty of minor TV/radio channels, YouTube, own Internet site, conferences, book deals etc. They adapt and disseminate their vile ideology in different ways. Whenever they find themselves less popular and pushed away on the media fringes or marginalised, they come up with some incendiary statement that propel them back under the spotlights, at least temporarily.

It is an industry, so newcomers seek to emulate the pros, all the time. When these pros are discarded and fall out of flavour for whatever reason (too radical, too old-fashioned or they’ve scared away key advertisers) then are replaced by "fresher" products from the Outrage economy, who also start low key to gain access to the mainstream media and up the ante as they gain notoriety.

Comment

I read it yesterday, but decided against sharing here. It's a great piece. Who could have guessed that the dark professor would like steampunk masks? The comment about how different his appearance and delivery are now compared to just a few years ago was also pretty telling.

Comment

But "rampant cheating" and "psychologically damaging promiscuity" (love the scientific language by the way) were common phenomena in other periods too. They just went by other names.

What peterson really seems to be objecting to is equal rights and agency for women, gays, trans people and others who are not white male professor of psychology.

"Enforced monogamy" was an expression of male aggression towards women in which Men continued raping. visiting prostitutes, having mistresses with less political or economic power.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/sannewman...61354956562434

Tee-hee. He really is a spoofer.

Comment

His approach to the incel thing appears to be appeasement. Does he think we should do the same thing with Daesh?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
              I don't live under a rock. I'm not saying the ideal was ever remotely realized, which is a big part of why I'm not on board with him.
              So why give any credence to his nonsense.

Comment

Written stuff is all I have given that I hate sitting through the tedious cunt rambling on on video

Comment

Well it's a quote no?

Comment

Where is the evidence re prehistoric social structures, Bruno? We’re deep in Joseph Campbell supposition land here.

Comment

Wow, is that the first confirmed sighting of Ignore Poster function enabled?

Comment

Discrete nuclear family groups aren’t a human universal. Even extended families. There are cultures where child rearing is shared among the community, even of non blood relatives. We are people, not pairing birds. Just about every universal belief or practise you can suppose, you can find an exception in present day or extinct cultures.
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-05-2018, 17:33.

Comment

I read the quote. If you want, you can conclude from it that Peterson thinks we should give incels wives so that they won't murder people, as a direct measure that would warrant the term "appeasement." Or you can conclude that he thinks the incel movement is explainable as an outcome of the disappearance or lack of "enforced monogamy." Before concluding either thing, I'd want to ask a followup question or two.
                          The fact that he clearly thinks the existence of "pissed off blokes who aren't getting any" is a modern thing is pretty revealing for a start (and not simply that these days the Internet gives POBWAGA a place to connect to each other and feed one another's anger and bitterness and share articles by people like Jordan Peterson)

Comment

Yes you're right. But he says "The cure for that is enforced monogamy." so it is about appeasement

Comment

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/...089564672?s=08

Words fail me. This is two steps away from Atlantis bollocks. The feck did the Chinese, Aborigines, or anyone else before 1953 know fuck all about the DNA double helix? The man is a terrible fraud, or a total fucking idiot.

Comment

I have a friend who watches those terrible discovery style docs on “massive undersea ruins” in SE Asia etc, from 20000, 50000 years ago, aye right. Just weathering, but he laps it all up. He doesn’t have a YouTube channel and Patreon account but. If he’s not a fraud he’s a looper and gullible as fuck outside his discipline. Personally I see him as both fraud and crazyperson.

Comment

Well "universal" anything is a big claim obviously. I reckon I was shooting for "common enough practice to be noteworthy."
                                  Anthropology as a traditional discipline looked at the surviving Primitives and extrapolated backwards. But hunter gatherers may have been as disparate in culture as later peoples, and it’s very hard in modern times to find hunter gatherers with access to the prime lands, them being marginalized millennia ago in most of the world. When people look at Siberian nomads and see shamanism as the patra of all later religions, they are ignoring that pastoral nomadism is pretty much symbiotic with agriculture, not an Ur State. Bar rare enough archeological evidence our idea of Early Man is guesswork.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-05-2018, 20:20.

Comment

As an aside, I find it weird how the same sort of folk who ascribe ancient knowledge now lost to prehistoric or ancient culture, (that often supposedly foreshadows modern science), they are the same sort of folk that believe aliens must have built the Pyramids, it being beyond the ken of the dusky primitives. Rarely hear such caveats raised about Stone’nge.

Comment

https://www.businesslive.co.za/amp/b...mpression=true

Mr Rational amazingly believes a load of woo.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-05-2018, 21:14.

Comment

He appears to be expressing a religious belief as opposed to a scientific belief, not that those cultures were deliberately representing DNA, but that they were representing some kind of divine wisdom/image that also (it turned out) is reflected in/represented by DNA. As an atheist I find that bonkers, but it's no more bonkers than believing that Jesus rose from the dead. He believes that myths are revelations of divine wisdom, like billions today and before him.
                                        He has also made statements on his own personal belief that look agnostic at most. So he doesn’t really believe the shit he is spouting for money. Tbh I think he kind of does, almost. But we deceive ourselves better than others.

Comment

Okay. This is all tangential anyway. Peterson's advocacy of monogamy is predicated on the behavior of historic rather than prehistoric humans.
                                          Grand so, let’s not bother with the vast majority of our time on earth, might fuck with the Grand theory.

Comment

Okay, what we were doing for almost all our time on Earth is not important compared to when cultures gained literacy. That’s how to make your pursuit of History a bit shit. Göbekli Tepe doesn’t fit the narrative, discard it.

The division between prehistoric and historic culture is itself problematic. But not when you are an almost perfect 19th century specimen defrosted like California Man in the present day.

Why are you so invested in defending such an obvious charlatan?
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-05-2018, 21:58.

Comment

Oh yeah, everyone who is on the left has a hard on for Pope Francis. Ffs. What the fuck man?

Comment

I think Lobster Boy is one of the natural great and good that has no spiritual depths himself, but demands belief from the lower orders. He is a nineteenth century reactionary right down to the three piece suit.

Comment

Em, yourself brought up the historic/prehistoric distinction in relation to Peterson’s theories.

Comment

Well I’m a little lost now, but only attribute so much to daytime drinks. JP’s construct of civilization is demonstrably bollocks, depends on ignorance from the reader across a wide variety of disciplines. I was saying a distinction between historic/prehistoric (as JP has done) is a bit shit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X