Incongruous samples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incongruous samples

I don't know why you'd think that Rose Garden, The Magnificent Seven and Get Up And Boogie would be the perfect accompaniment to a slightly New Order-influenced ravey bit of disco synthpop but y'know what, it kind of works.

Did Kon Kan do anything over there? Move To Move was a pretty big homegrown record back in the day.

Comment

That one was their only UK hit. Rightly or wrongly viewed as a novelty over here, I think.

Comment

Probably rightly. Three or four good tracks, and that was that. Sort of like Dream Warriors.

Comment

I picked up a KonKan album in a charity shop recently, thinking I might have stumbled across a lost synth pop classic. I hadn't.

Comment

Not that incongruous given the range of things they sampled from, but to link the two similar threads today, I would have first heard the riff from Crazy Horses on Def Con One by Pop Will Eat Itself before I knowingly heard the original.

Comment

I always thought it’d be a good pub quiz question to ask those of my generation which two songs were sampled in Can I Kick It? by A Tribe Called Quest. We all remember the Ian Wright Nike advert and hearing it and thinking “Well I recognise that from that Lou Reed song,” but What A Waste is much more obscure to us 30-somethings.

Comment

Working...
              X