Riffs that don't belong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riffs that don't belong.

Right. If a metal band had got to the main riff of "Crazy Horses" first, it would have been a stone cold classic. I mean, it still is, but it's such a heavy sound that it should be delivered by Tony Iommi.

Other examples?

The uptempo guitar part of "Music" by John Miles sounds more to me like Kiss or something than the Elton John-esque remainder of the song.

Comment

And if you don't love me now
      You will never love me again
      I can still hear you saying
      You would never break the chain

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDG2m5hN1vo&t=2m40s

Comment

Not a riff so much, but there's an unexpected power chord on Abba's Our Last Summer.

Comment

Baker Street
          Beat It
          Bob Marley was sometimes guilty of going along with the rocking up of his sound.

Comment

The first thing I recall hearing by Cliff Richard was 'Devil Woman' and it gave me a completely incorrect idea about his oeuvre.

Comment

The sweetness of the surf guitar break on Dead Kennedys' Let's Lynch The Landlord would seem to me to fit the bill here.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Baker Street
                Beat It
                How does the riff in Beat It not belong? It's integral.

And with Baker Street, I presume you are talking about that marvellous guitar solo. If so, you're the first person ever to claim that guitar solos don't have a place in prog rock.

Comment

Anyway, two fuzz guitar solos that come from left field:

Tony Peloso's solos in the Carpenters' "Goodbye To Love", which I absolutely adore. A superb innovation by Richard C.

Thomas McClary's solo in The Commodores' "Easy", which is also wonderful. Ernie Isley lite.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                    The sweetness of the surf guitar break on Dead Kennedys' Let's Lynch The Landlord would seem to me to fit the bill here.

Odd. We cover that and I have never thought of that as incongruous. The riff in "Holidays In Cambodia" seems more so.

Comment

Not a riff as such, but the bit that sounds like it belongs in an episode of Star Trek - or, at the very least, in an album track of an immediately post-Gabriel Genesis long player - in Richard III by Supergrass

Comment

The opening riff of Crazy Train by Ozzy Osborne always sounds like it belongs to another song.

Comment

No, no, no, no, no, no, no! That is of a piece, the riff is perfectly consistent with the rest of the song and a work of genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                            Not a riff as such, but the bit that sounds like it belongs in an episode of Star Trek - or, at the very least, in an album track of an immediately post-Gabriel Genesis long player - in Richard III by Supergrass
                            Theremins are awesome. More songs should have theremins.

Comment

The riff in Give It To Me Now by The Bay City Rollers definitely wasn't the reason my sister worshipped them in their heyday.

And as for the lyrics ...

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                How does the riff in Beat It not belong? It's integral.
                                The riff, for sure. Maybe not the solo-y bit so much.

Until last year, my wife had no idea that was Eddie Van Halen playing.

Comment

How? It couldn't sound any more like Eddie Van Halen if it tried.

Comment

I know, right. Woman lived through the same '80s as me, but damned if shit didn't slip right past her.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      The first thing I recall hearing by Cliff Richard was 'Devil Woman' and it gave me a completely incorrect idea about his oeuvre.
                                      Watch it, he'll sue.

Comment

Good job it wasn't Honky Tonk Angel. That one even took Cliff by surprise.

Comment

I love the solo (1:20 in), but Mark Farner's crunching solo is a bit much for a simple cover of The Loco-Motion.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                            Anyway, two fuzz guitar solos that come from left field:

Tony Peloso's solos in the Carpenters' "Goodbye To Love", which I absolutely adore. A superb innovation by Richard C.

Thomas McClary's solo in The Commodores' "Easy", which is also wonderful. Ernie Isley lite.
                                            Goodbye to Love is one of my favourite ever songs, and it must mostly be those solos. Although the big harmony overlaying the solo to fade is pretty darn good too.

Comment

Going back to the theme of the original post, Revolution by the Beatles always jumps out at me in a similar vein. It kicks off with such a harsh, fuzzy metallic riff, you'd scarcely imagine it was them even considering what a wide range of stuff they produced in such a short era. It's one of my favourites of theirs, incidentally.

...and I didn't know until I went to find and link this video right now, it's John playing the riff, not George as I'd kind of assumed:

Comment

Good point. The intro writes cheques the rest of the song can't cash.

Comment

Working...
                                                X