His name wasn't Bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His name wasn't Bond

Actor John Gavin, who twice was slated to succeed Sean Connery as James Bond, has died. After a decidedly middling movie career (despite appearing in classics like Spartacus , as Julius Caesar, and Psycho) as Janet Leigh's lover), he became the first incumbent president of the Screen Actors Guild to be defeated in his bid for re-election. He then entered politics, as a Republican, and became ambassador to Mexico, where he pissed off that nation 30 years before Donald Trump took it to a new level. Among his accomplishments was beating up a Mexican cameraman.

Also departing on Thursday, at the young age of 59, was a fine actor in Reg E. Cathey, who played the politician Norman Wilson in The Wire, and the BBQ joint owner in House of Cards. The utter contempt and disgust with which turns from Spacey's character in that show is memorable not only for the metaphor it represents in the way Hollywood has turned from Spacey.

Unlike Cathey, Spacey will, of course, make a comeback, after his time in the naughty corner.

When I read the thread title, my first thought was "Russ Abbot's died".

Comment

Cathey was great in House of Cards. Character was called Freddy Hayes. I think he actually got offered a shitty job on the White House grounds staff by Underwood.

Comment

This scene:

Comment

There's an excellent book about the 1959 version of Imitation of Life called Born to Be Hurt: The Untold Story of Imitation of Life by Sam Staggs. There is practically no aspect of the movie that he doesn't discuss, mostly lovingly, but his comments on John Gavin's wooden acting are hilariously scathing, e.g., "invertebrate, self-righteous, and by rote" and "Hitchcock's wizardry in Psycho cannot fully explain how he extracted a near-performance from John Gavin."

Comment

Originally posted by Heliotrope View Post
            "Hitchcock's wizardry in Psycho cannot fully explain how he extracted a near-performance from John Gavin."
            That is an exquisite sentence.

Comment

Working...
            X