No announcement yet.

The Heart of Darkness - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit late on this but I've been travelling.

I stayed in Bremen this weekend and took in three games starting with Osnabrück v Chemnitz on Friday. A pleasant afternoon in the local brewpub was followed by all kinds of fun actually getting in to the match. My chosen ticket turned out to be in the least accessible part of the ground, with access prevented by police outside the away end. Neither they, nor the local officials, could direct me to where I needed to be, being sent this way and that before finally a policeman was able to tell me that I needed to go all the way round the ground to find my entrance. A fairly even first half with only a penalty for the home team, where the player seemed to be on his way down before contact was made, separating the teams. Then in the second half Chemnitz fell to bits, letting in four quick goals before a late consolation. One more for the home side made it 6-1 before the referee called time bang on 90 minutes meaning that there was no added time in either half, despite there being a significant stoppage right at the start of the second half. It was very cold, so thanks ref.

On to Hannover on Saturday for the visit of Freiburg. Another brewpub and caught up in local Karneval celebrations. Hannover took the lead in the first half and once again no added time. Hannover scored again but Freiburg never looked out of it and then, as I was looking forward to another added-time-free game, they scored a late goal. Three minutes added on and very cold again.

To Werder Bremen v Wolfsburg on Sunday for another enjoyable match and a 3-1 home win. Very cold, obviously.

I had the option of a Regionalliga Nord game, Braunschweig II v St Pauli II on Monday but couldn’t face the cold again and a late train back so decided to give it a miss. Good decision as it was postponed.

Then a fairly straightforward return yesterday was thrown into chaos with two cancelled trains from Aachen, a ‘bus transfer, and a late-running train meaning I missed my Eurostar in Brussels and arrived home two hours later than planned.
    Last edited by Capybara; 14-02-2018, 11:30.

Comment

Yes, great to see you back BB&F! and I clearly have a backlog of reports to catch up on.

While on the subject of The Boars of Berkshire, my attention has been called to the most fantastically exotically-named fixture in coming weeks :

ESOTERIC RECORDINGS DIVISION ONE CHALLENGE CUP

Eversley & California v FC Deportivo Galicia
      I challenge anyone to give me a more evocative combination of competition and team names.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-02-2018, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
        On to Hannover on Saturday for the visit of Freiburg. Another brewpub and caught up in local Karneval celebrations.
        Was there a parade on in the city? When I lived there, Karneval was non-existent and regarded as some weird thing that happened down south. Mind you, that was 20 years ago and the Fasching/Fasnacht/Karneval thing has spread far and wide since then...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          Yes, great to see you back BB&F! and I clearly have a backlog of reports to catch up on.
          This

Comment

I'm not sure any game in London below Football League level last night went ahead given the recent torrential downpours. Luckily that shouldn't be a problem for the Ice Hockey tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by JVL View Post
              Was there a parade on in the city? When I lived there, Karneval was non-existent and regarded as some weird thing that happened down south. Mind you, that was 20 years ago and the Fasching/Fasnacht/Karneval thing has spread far and wide since then...
              Yes, there was a parade which was passing as I left the pub. I don't know how long it was as I was walking in the same direction as it was heading so only saw a couple of floats, but I was showered with sweets. There was a celebration in the pub which was still going on when I popped in for a quick one after the game and I assume carried on long after I left.

Comment

Last night I watched Marine play Widnes in the semi final of the Liverpool Senior Cup. It was very cold. Lots of chances from both sides but poor finishing. Both sides scored penalties before a late own goal gave Marine the win. They now have quite a wait to see who they will play in the final - Prescot Cables host Everton in the last quarter final in a couple of weeks, with the winners of that facing Litherland at some point between March and August.

Comment

I'm not sure any game in London below Football League level last night went ahead given the recent torrential downpours.
                  Wealdstone got knocked out of the Middlesex Senior Cup Semi-Final at home by Staines on penalties. Apparently the penalties had to be taken at the top end of the pitch, as the bottom end was too muddy.

Comment

While on the subject of The Boars of Berkshire, my attention has been called to the most fantastically exotically-named fixture in coming weeks :

I challenge anyone to give me a more evocative combination of competition and team names.
                    Saturday 10th March

Pete's Patisserie County Senior League

North Gawber Colliery v Oughtibridge War Memorial

Venue - Woolley Miners Welfare

Comment

Yeah I only perceive the Pete's Patisserie bit of that as being a bit weird. The rest of it is only evocative in the sense of places I went to growing up

Comment

Belated midweek update: Porto 0-5 Liverpool

Pissed down for 2 days straight. Walked 40km according to Mrs Trlb’s watch-thingy. Cleared the metro, funicular and the gondola. Ticked off Letraria craft beer garden with a Letra IPA and a Red ale, and Cervejaria Carmo with a Colossus - Wonderlust. Otherwise it was cellar bars, a faux-Irish pub and the ubiquitous Super Bock. Had my first Francesinha, a thing of great beauty and stodginess. Saw two Renault 4s! Met a bloke who was best mates with Raul Meireles. Did a port winery tour and tasting. Sang about Mo Salah. Watched people come past me in mid air at shoulder height during the celebrations. All in all, an excellent trip.

Comment

Working...
                        X