Football clubs in and around Antwerp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football clubs in and around Antwerp.

I am going over to Antwerp with a few friends and was hoping to catch a Royal Antwerp game but I see it has already sold out! Does anybody have good knowledge of the local area and the football clubs around there? We'd still like to catch a came and wouldn't mind going to a lower league match or even travelling for 30 minutes on the train?

From what I understand Beerschot have been disbanded.
    Berchem Sport could be an option.
    Are Tubantia still going?

I have never really followed Belgian football so any inside knowledge would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Beerschot reformed a few years ago as Beerschot-Wilrijk and are now in the second division. They play at the old Olympic Stadium, which is worth a visit. Beveren and Lokeren are also very close to Antwerp.

Comment

Beveren are fan-owned and played Enfield Town in one of the Supporters Direct cup things about five years ago. The bonds formed between the two clubs formed that day were so strong that both clubs still send a coachload of supporters to one of each other's home matches every season.

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
        I have never really followed Belgian football so any inside knowledge would be much appreciated!
        Not a direct response to your Antwerp query, but as is occasionally mentioned on the TV thread you may like to know there is good coverage of the Jupiler Pro League (i.e. Belgian top flight) on the FreeSports TV channel. Three or so live matches per week and it's normally pretty entertaining fare.

Comment

Yup, Waasland-Beveren (who play in the town of Beveren) are the closest top flight option. The train between Antwerp and Beveren takes about 20 minutes, and the walk to the ground takes about the same time (there are also buses)

Trains from Antwerp to Bruxelles take about 40 minutes. That would open up Anderlecht and Union St. Gilloise (second tier)

Comment

The Groundhopper app is very good for stuff like this.

Comment

Ooh. Just downloaded that. Looks like fun.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you go anywhere apart from Berchem Sports, well I can't think of words to describe that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                    If you go anywhere apart from Berchem Sports, well I can't think of words to describe that situation.
                    Well, as there is more than just me going I had to put the various options to several people and we plumped for Waasland-Beveren v Genk. 20€ each. Not bad for a top flight match and easy to get to from the city centre. We've got BOGOF Big Macs with out tickets too so we are made...

Comment

Working...
                    X