No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They stayed isolated for the same reasons every isolated community stays isolated. They were worried about losing their culture and/or being dragged into bloody conflicts.

Of course, now they have the most advanced military in the world, but 1000 years ago or whenever they started mining vibranium and began the isolationist policy, they didn’t know that. So maybe they were afraid of being plundered.

They have shared some of it before. As I recall, in the movie universe, Howard Stark made Captain America’s shield out of it.

Comment

I saw Black Panther last night. Enjoyed it. TG's summary at the end of his spoilery post is very accurate. A movie with a superhero in. There were some strong themes about how ignoring the struggle of others creates enemies, and how parents can fail us if they keep their failures from us.

Comment

And a joke off Twitter: Black Panther has two white characters, played by Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis. They're the tolkien white guys.

Comment

Also a trailer for Infinity War in front of the film. I can't decide if it's going to be brilliant or a total hot mess of a movie. Mrs Thistle is worried it's going to be Dr Strange heavy, but was excited to see teenage Groot in the brief Guardians of the Galaxy reveal at the end.

Comment

Infinity Wars is a great description of the seemingly endless (and mostly pointless) fight scenes in superhero films.

I mean, who can't wait to see a load of, effectively, immortal, invulnerable and invincible characters smash each other through CG-ed buildings and scenery for hours on end?

Comment

Those are the bits I quite like.
              It's the bits where you go meet stupid bow and arrow man's family or where they're woodenly contemplating the rights and wrongs of their struggle that are boring.

Comment

Also a trailer for Infinity War in front of the film. I can't decide if it's going to be brilliant or a total hot mess of a movie. Mrs Thistle is worried it's going to be Dr Strange heavy, but was excited to see teenage Groot in the brief Guardians of the Galaxy reveal at the end.
                If you go to a midnight premiere, you could get teenage Groots right through the night.

Comment

Hahaha very good

Comment

I recommend watching 'Black Panther' in a full African cinema, as I did tonight. The audience responses increased my enjoyment immeasurably.

Comment

Saw Black Panther today and, for me, it was one of the more enjoyable Marvel films. I liked how it started out as the best Bond film of recent time (complete with Q and her gadgets) and then became a Shakespearian take on the superhero film.

One minor quibble though, I'd love to have been in on the script writers meeting;

"So how does the bulletproof armour work?"
                      "Vibranium"
                      "And the hidden city's cloaking device?"
                      "Vibranium"
                      "The anti-gravity vehicles?"
                      "Vibranium"
                      "And how can we save one of the characters from a near fatal gunshot wound?"
                      "Erm...Vibranium?"

Comment

I saw it yesterday too and it is a hugely impressive and, to be pompous for a moment, important film.

It isn’t quite the “best Marvel movie yet” that I have seen people touting it as ( off the top of my head both Logan and Deadpool*, from opposite ends of the studio’s spectrum, are significantly superior for me) but it is a real freshening up of the genre.

*neither in the MCU, I know
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-02-2018, 12:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                          I recommend watching 'Black Panther' in a full African cinema, as I did tonight. The audience responses increased my enjoyment immeasurably.
                          Oh dear. I have images of some buck dancing taking place.

Comment

Just watched Thor Ragnarok in 4K and Dolby Atmos.
                            I was so excited a little bit of wee nearly came out. Fantastic film, beats the shit out of any of the other MCU movies. (With the proviso that I haven't seen Black Panther yet.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              I saw it yesterday too and it is a hugely impressive and, to be pompous for a moment, important film.

It isn’t quite the “best Marvel movie yet” that I have seen people touting it as ( off the top of my head both Logan and Deadpool*, from opposite ends of the studio’s spectrum, are significantly superior for me) but it is a real freshening up of the genre.

*neither in the MCU, I know
                              Deadpool was produced by Marvel so technically is in the MCU. Logan is a Fox production, part of their X Men deal.

Comment

As far as I am aware, the term MCU doesn’t refer simply to the films made by Marvel Studios themselves but to the self-contained setting a set of characters and stories appear in where they share continuity.

The X Men, Logan and Deadpool feature in a different self-contained setting with (currently) no crossover in continuity.

My mistake on Logan not being a Marvel Studios film though, I’d missed that.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-03-2018, 16:05.

Comment

Currently is the operative word there. The problem is they had to make Deadpool an 18 (or R) so can't really promote it to the kids the way they do other films. But even though it's standalone, it's not necessarily totally foreign to the MCU. I'm expecting him to pop up in Infinity War, probably in on of those post credit teaser things.

Disney have brought Spidey back into the Avengers having done some kind of deal with Sony. They have bought Fox, to bring the X Men back in. There were two X Men characters already in Age of Ultron, but they weren't mutants, oh no. They were turned something else.

The rights to characters and studio politics are more interesting than some of the films tbh.

Comment

How long has "Black Panther" existed? I mean is he a long standing characer, or a post hoc attempt to explain away why all superheroes are white ("we did invite them but they never got back to us.") The trailer for it looked very cool, but I think it may have been the fourth superhero trailer in a row I saw when I went to the cinema so I was wrestling with other questions rather than paying it enough attention.

Comment

Whereas 1968 was a year that was quite important for the USA, where Vietnam and reconstruction and states rights and Federalists v Democratic Republics and triangular trade and Jeffersonian principles all came to a head, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby had brought African characters into comics. Black Panther started in 1966, followed by The Falcon and Luke Cage (and Iron Fist.)

Black Panther was always a niche comic, existing in the world of Moonknight and Cloak and Dagger (can't wait to see that film with our current opioid crisis. That comic was so fuggin' cool.) It had it's fans, but it never was in the spotlight in any major event.

Black Panther didn't do shit in the Secret Wars, didn't do shit of any notice in over 5 decades. But here we are, 2018, and it's the biggest film of all time.

With a director who came from the city of the Black Panthers, and the major villian who went to high school in Newark. Oakland and Newark had some things that happened in the late 60s as well.

Comment

Hmm, you make it sound a thousand times better than all the other superhero films put together.

Comment

Jessica Jones back on Netflix on March 8th. I'll watch it because the first series was excellent, but the Hells Kitchen collection then went into steep a nosedive culminating with the laughably bad Iron Fist (and The Defenders weren't any great shakes either.) I think JJ1, had an excellent villain (David Tennant as Kilgrave), as did Daredevil1 (Vincent D'Onofrio as Fisk). The other series's just haven't come close to matching them. So I'm in for JJ2, without holding any great hopes for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            Currently is the operative word there. The problem is they had to make Deadpool an 18 (or R) so can't really promote it to the kids the way they do other films. But even though it's standalone, it's not necessarily totally foreign to the MCU. I'm expecting him to pop up in Infinity War, probably in on of those post credit teaser things.
                                            So I was completely correct to say that the films ‘Deadpool’ and ‘Logan’ aren’t in the MCU, whatever your speculation as to what might happen with the characters in the future.

‘Deadpool’ was a 15 btw, not an 18.

Comment

As jv says, Black Panther's been around a long time - f'rinstance, I was bought this annual by my aunt at a jumble sale in the early 80s:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Daredevil_Annual_Vol_1_4

And considering it features not just a black superhero (Black Panther) but also a blind superhero (Daredevil) and a power plant not being built because it would damage marine ecology, it's pretty astounding to find out that the story's from 1976.
                                              Last edited by blameless; 03-03-2018, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                So I was completely correct to say that the films ‘Deadpool’ and ‘Logan’ aren’t in the MCU, whatever your speculation as to what might happen with the characters in the future.

‘Deadpool’ was a 15 btw, not an 18.
                                                Yes, you're right. I've just looked it up and Deadpool was a Fox picture too. So definitely not part of the MCU as it stands.

I saw it on a plane which went with the R rating hence why I thought it was an 18. My mistake.
                                                Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 03-03-2018, 15:39.

Comment

Alas, Cloak and Dagger is coming to tv in a Daredevil/Jessica Jones stylee.

Not too happy about the New Orleans angle after the 1980s Crack Years Brooklyn, but the promo looks brilliant.

One of those comics that was way too deep for the time period. Kind of like Frankie Goes To Hollywood "Relax" hiding in plain sight.

Comment

er, in what sense was Relax hiding in plain sight?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X