The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    er, in what sense was Relax hiding in plain sight?
    Sloppy writing, but I mean as in having a top 40 hit in mid-1980s Reagan America about holding out as long as one can then taking a load on the chest without anyone really catching on that's what it was about.

Cloak and Dagger isn't sexual like that, but it's quite existential and deep for a children's comic (it came out between the 70s heroin epidemic, in the middle of the 80s disco cocaine epidemic, then caught the late 80s crack wave.)

Cloak perhaps has the most Dante's Inferno-like power of any character ever made, in that he wraps a guy up in the abyss inside of his cloak, and they see the evil they do and proceed to go permanently crazy from the horror of the ugliness of their souls. Not exactly Captain America or Groot.

Comment

Ah, so they didn't get to see the video then....

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post

One minor quibble though, I'd love to have been in on the script writers meeting;

"So how does the bulletproof armour work?"
        "Vibranium"
        "And the hidden city's cloaking device?"
        "Vibranium"
        "The anti-gravity vehicles?"
        "Vibranium"
        "And how can we save one of the characters from a near fatal gunshot wound?"
        "Erm...Vibranium?"
        At one point I found myself wondering, 'Just how big was that meteorite?'

Comment

After all the hype, bought Black Panther on Blu-Ray for the boy and me to watch.

In brief, I've not been so fucking bored in a long, long time. It's possible that I just don't 'get' the whole Marvel / DC superhero genre (which I think I don't), but fuck me was that dull.

Comment

The costumes were pretty... but otherwise exactly what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              After all the hype, bought Black Panther on Blu-Ray for the boy and me to watch.

In brief, I've not been so fucking bored in a long, long time. It's possible that I just don't 'get' the whole Marvel / DC superhero genre (which I think I don't), but fuck me was that dull.
              You got this on a disc already!!? We're still showing it in the cinema in the Netherlands FFS.

The new Wes Anderson movie also debuted over here last week, while it's been available in the Anglosphere for a quarter of a year already. And the movie industry wonders why everyone resorts to pirating.

P.S. and it's not like this delay is because of dubbing; we never dub anything that isn't explicitly aimed at kids here in the Netherlands. There is absolutely no reason at all for the delay.

Comment

I really enjoyed 'Ant-Man and The Wasp'. It had a nice resolution to the villain arc that wasn't all just loud fighty bangs. There was also a lot of humour including a bit where Ant-Man accused Hank and Hope of just sticking the word "quantum" in front of other words. A bit like the vibranium issue in other films.

Also it's got Michelle Pfeiffer in it. She makes any film a bit better.

Comment

Proper cliffhanger in the stinger, too.

Comment

It’s taken me a large chunk of the summer but I finally saw ‘Ant-Man and The Wasp’ tonight and very glad I did. It’s kind of snuck out, as much as any Marvel movie can, compared to the huge attention (deservedly) given to ‘Black Panther’ and ‘Infinity War’.

It’s possibly the funniest film I’ve seen all year, largely down to Paul Rudd’s predictably perfect performance and also the back up from Michael Peña and his other sidekicks. The central plot is absolute hokum but the script, action, effects and the cast's delivery are all really sharp.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-11-2018, 00:02.

Comment

Yeah I thought it was pretty good.

The Ant-Man and Guardians films have kept me in the MCU.

Comment

I watch these fillums, and kinda enjoy them, but can't really separate them in my memory, so I couldn't tell you which ones I liked more than others.

Fun, though.

Comment

The trailer for Captain Marvel looks great.

Comment

I think TT speaks for me on this one. They're coming so fast and frequently that I can't keep 'em separated anymore. I liked Guardians of The Galaxy and Suicide Squad, but they were both so specific that I don't think you could mistake them for anything else.

Comment

Ant Man didn't do anything for me, even though I liked all the actors. Captain Marvel looks interesting. I don't know anything about the character, though.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                I think TT speaks for me on this one. They're coming so fast and frequently that I can't keep 'em separated anymore. I liked Guardians of The Galaxy and Suicide Squad, but they were both so specific that I don't think you could mistake them for anything else.
                                Suicide Squad was a DC film.

(I thought it was unparalleled shit, which is impressive in its own way because 'superhero movie' is a low bar.)

Comment

Saw Deadpool 2 at the weekend. Loved it, finally getting some Colossus unleashed.

Comment

The level of enjoyment I got from AM&TW is sort of causing me to reassess how successful Deadpool 2 was as I think the former may be the better sequel despite (or possibly because) of the fact I loved the original Deadpool.

I need to see it again to properly decide.

Comment

there aren't Jungles in Africa
                                      Eh? I think there are one or two.

I'm just about to give up on Doctor Strange, I don't think I need to watch Benny Dick reprising the Karate Kid plot, I can see where this is going. Black Panther next before the golf then Infinity War later on ( a friend insisted they need to be watched in that order).

Comment

Saw the first GotG the other day. Despite containing many things I hate, it had enough charm to keep me entertained. Mainly because Rocket and Groot were a fantastic double act.

Comment

Based on their appearance in Infinity War, I am absolutely certain that I would hate Guardians of the Galaxy. Especially if it hangs around yer man reprising his "most annoying character on Parks and Recreation" role as it seems to

Comment

Black Panther was a lot of fun. It's just as well these films make hundreds of millions of dollars, too. There must be close to 500,000 people named on the bloody credits (which experience suggests you are meant to stay through with Marvel films).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              Suicide Squad was a DC film.

(I thought it was unparalleled shit, which is impressive in its own way because 'superhero movie' is a low bar.)
                                              It was less than the sum of its parts, certainly.

DC is good at TV and animation, but they haven’t had a really great theatrical film since The Dark Knight.

I’m not optimistic about Aquaman, but Shazam looks like it might be good and the Flashpoint film might work. But otherwise, they should probably flush the whole Zach Snyder/current version of the JL and start over in about ten years.
                                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 30-09-2018, 14:19.

Comment

Watched The Punisher the other night. Just discovered it was based on a Marvel character. One of the most violent films I've ever seen. Didn't like it although Travolta was reptilian.

Post number 2,222. How about that.

Comment

It's one of those Marvel films that either predates the MCU or was made by another studio. See also Ghost Rider, the first 5 Spider-Man films, the X-Men franchise, Deadpool etc.

Like HP, I have high hopes for Shazam, mainly because of Zachary Levi.

Comment

Just finished watching season two of Justice League Unlimited. Lex Luthor is voiced by Clancy Brown, and there's a bit in one episode where he starts shouting at his stooges. It sounded so much like Mr Crabs from SpongeBob Squarepants that I just couldn't take it in any way seriously.

I'll tell you who DC should do a film with (or possibly a TV series) - Booster Gold. I would like to see them try to grimdark that (OK, Ted Kord Blue Beetle's death).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X