Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Marvel Cinematic Universe

3 films coming out this year.

Black Panther. Might be good. Trailer may have given away the important bits.

Infinity War Part One. The interesting Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy (yay) team up to fight Thanos. Hopefully it will be more like the Guardians films than the Avengers films.

Ant-Man and the Wasp. Sequel to Ant-Man, which I enjoyed at the time but didn't rate as much on a rewatch.

Regarding the new avengers film, hopefully it will be like the first avengers film. Didn't realise the gotg would be in it. Not so sure how I feel about that.

I've heard good things about the black panther film.

Comment

Infinity War is the big 2 parter that closes out phase 3 of the MCU plan. They've started selling DVD box sets in the "phases" now. I think it's a tad weird.

Comment

Black Panther got a decent review in the Guardian today.

Comment

Too many titles, that were too interconnected, is what I remember putting me off the comics, way back when.

They must be getting close to killing the golden goose again in pretty much the same way, I'd have thought.

Comment

3 films a year is a big ask. Although I enjoyed all 3 last year.

There have been some real turkeys, though. The first 2 Thor films aren't great. The best bit in Thor 2 is the use of a Vimto can. Age of Ultron is dire. Doctor Strange is just Benedict Cumberbatch doing the only thing he does. Iron Man 2 and 3 are pretty poor.

Comment

The first 2 Thor films aren't great.
              they bloody are, you know. I'm not massively bothered about any of the rest of the Marvel Films but Thor is great.

Comment

1. Iron Man
                2. Thor
                3. Guardians of the Galaxy
                4. Thor 2
                5. Avengers (assemble)

1000000000. Any of the Captain America films
                1000000001. Dr Strange

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  Too many titles, that were too interconnected, is what I remember putting me off the comics, way back when.

They must be getting close to killing the golden goose again in pretty much the same way, I'd have thought.
                  I'm with you. They come so quickly and often now that I honestly can't keep them straight. Unless it's something oddball like Suicide Squad, they don't form an actual identity in my head. Black Panther might be different. Surely comic-movie fatigue will set in soon. See also Star Wars (believe it or not).

Comment

Suicide Squad was DC not Marvel. And utter, utter dreck.

Comment

Avengers 2 was so boring. I’ve developed a visceral dislike of Downey Jr, so found sitting through even the first Iron Man an effort. And I’ve never read an Avengers comic in my life, so most of this stuff just baffles me. DC seemed to be making all the good stuff when I read comics late 80s/early 90s (Grant Morrison Animal Man, Alan Moore) while Marvel was churning out campy rubbish.

Comment

Am I alone in quite liking "Doctor Strange"?

I'm not generally a big superhero film fan, I tend to think that most of them are overlong and, frankly, CGI filled bore-a-thons.

Comment

Indeed. With 'epic battle' scenes that could easily be chopped in half, and then halved again.

Comment

This. (Not Dr Strange being good, can’t abide Cumberface)

Comment

Ant-Man was enjoyable. Deadpool was fucking brilliant.

Comment

Yeah, Deadpool was great. And I liked Suicide Squad, so there.

Comment

Guardians of the Galaxy was great fun. Except for the baddie maybes. Thanos seems a boring shite. So of course will be the focus of the new Avengers. I’ll be vaguely interested to see what they blow up or crash into in the Edinburgh set piece (and for street continuity errors madness).
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 07-02-2018, 19:27.

Comment

Black Panther was good.

Comment

The only thing I know about this whole shebang is that the character 'Wasp' was the name that Lisbeth Salander took (in the Girl With the... series) when she was hacking shit.

And Deadpool was great, Guardians 2 was good, and the rest I haven't seen, nor am likely to. Maybe "Black Panther" cos it's a bit 'sci-fi'.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                        1. Iron Man
                                        2. Thor
                                        3. Guardians of the Galaxy
                                        4. Thor 2
                                        5. Avengers (assemble)

1000000000. Any of the Captain America films
                                        1000000001. Dr Strange
                                        There's a term I'm searching for when considering your opinion of Captain America films.

And Thor: Ragnarok was waaaaaay better than Thor 2, Iron Man 2 and possibly even Thor itself.

Comment

I've just checked - I haven't seen a single MCU film

Just checked as well - I haven't seen a single DCEU film either

...and yet I have seen every single film in the "Dark Universe"

Comment

And Thor: Ragnarok was waaaaaay better than Thor 2, Iron Man 2 and possibly even Thor itself.
                                            Haven't seen it yet. I'll watch it on UHD when it appears.
                                            I want to see Black Panther though. Looks great.

Comment

It's very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                                There's a term I'm searching for when considering your opinion of Captain America films.

Correct

Comment

Quick Black Panther Review:

Good storyline, positive depictions of black people without the usual Hollywood cliche's stereotypes and whitewashing (See Gods of Egypt).

Pro's:

No lustful animal sex
                                                  African divinity bore resemblence to traditional religion rather than the usual Shrunken-headed shamen or some live and let die shit
                                                  All characters wore tasteful African outfits without veering into the tasteless bling
                                                  Afrcian countryside shots didn't show inpenetrable jungle (there arent Jungles in Africa) or Giraffes and Lions walking down the street
                                                  No instances of Cannibalism (actually, there was actually a joke on that)

No white dude coming in to save the day by ordering the dumb black people around and directing stuff (12 Years a slave, Hidden Figures etc etc).

**** Spoiler*********

I can see alot of hidden stuff being slipped into the film, not quite "Get Out" levels, but interesting to see that the real basis of the movie was the battle of ideologies with regard to isolationism or interventionism and if you are to intervene, then how?

Of the two, I think most people would have more sympathy with Killmonger who saw the world for what it really was than the somewhat cowardly Panther who's views had little support even within his trusted counsel.

Killmonger was on some real Malcolm X shit, his final line,
                                                  "Bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who jumped from ships, cause they knew death was better than bondage"

I not the typical words of a supervillan.

I think what made the film good is that it wasn't a super hero film, i was a film that just happened to have a superhero in it who actually was forced to change his behaviour due to the actions of the villan.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X