Incongruous musical appearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Pere Ubu's appearance on Roland's Rat Race takes some beating.
    Morrissey, Johnny Marr and Sandie Shaw on Charlie's Bus, 1984:

Comment

Elvis Costello in Spice World and Austin Powers

Comment

Depeche Mode performing Master And Servant on the Wide Awake Club. You'd have thought that someone at TV-am would have noticed that a song about BDSM might not have been suitable for kiddiwinks eating their Rice Krispies but I think Bruce Gyngell was in charge by then... enough said.

Comment

I remember the Virgin Prunes on the late late show in '79 fair making my mother's hair stand up,my stepdad thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            Morrissey, Johnny Marr and Sandie Shaw on Charlie's Bus, 1984:
            I remember watching that at the time - I was odd indeed, but The Smiths were, at least, singles-chart regulars by then. I doubt The Ubu ever placed anything higher than about #186, however they did also gain an indirect mention on Grange Hill, when Trisha Yates was trying to help a friend to read from the NME.

Comment

Please leave that typo in.

Comment

Heh...

That Sandy Shaw thing is so awful, but she (and they) clearly knew it was. "Look, it's Sandy Shaw" and "Oh, look. Johnny's brought his guitar...". They were clearly in pain having to do that schtick.

Comment

I don't know what is more incongruous, the Jesus and Mary Chain on the Letterman show or... well, you'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                    Please leave that typo in.
                    Ha - took me a couple of reads-back to spot that. Accurate, perhaps, without even requirement for the past tense.

Harking back to Herbie Flowers's input to Grandad upthread, it should also be noted that the song was co-written with Kenny Pickett - formerly of uber-cool psychedelicists, The Creation.

Comment

Although The Wurzels have appeared on children's television about a million times, I've never been able to quite get my head round it. For every one kiddy-friendly song about blackbirds and tractors and potatoes, there are ten about getting pissed and shagging.

Comment

Presumably those weren't the songs chosen in such circumstances? The same probably applies to acts like Black Lace who, despite appearing kid-friendly, were known for performing 'bawdy' club versions of their hits, as well as songs about gang-banging, etc.

Viz the Depeche Mode episode, Master and Servant was also shown on Saturday Superstore, so clearly the kids' TV big wigs were all missing its lyrical message.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                          I don't know what is more incongruous, the Jesus and Mary Chain on the Letterman show or... well, you'll see.

I’m guessing that was just the touring bass player while they were in the States. Fucking hell im amazed the Reids tolerated his trousers, let alone his Showbiz vamping.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            I’m guessing that was just the touring bass player while they were in the States. Fucking hell im amazed the Reids tolerated his trousers, let alone his Showbiz vamping.
                            Is it not just the Letterman show house band?

Comment

Yes, absolutely that's the house band. I'm amazed that the Reids went along with it, tbh...

...and I'm f***ing astonished that Jim and William didn't slug Dave L for calling them 'an English band'.

Comment

Absolutely love that JAMC clip. Brilliant from start to finish.

I think it must have been evilc who posted this Gary Numan appearance on the Leo Sayer show in 1984, quite a while ago now but I think it suits the purposes for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdyq9VGh1x4

Comment

Oh God, definitely. I remember a Numan-obsessive during my college days who decided that his soundalike synth band should also cover On Broadway on the back of said 'performance'.

Which struck me as missing whatever point there might have been to Sayer and Numan's rendition quite spectacularly.

Comment

Working...
                                  X