The Cloverfield Paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cloverfield Paradox

Watched it on Netflix last night. Anyone thinking of doing the same – don’t bother. Seriously. It’s a clunker of major proportions with a story entirely devoid of any internal logic whatsoever, hammy performances and plot ‘twists’ telegraphed a mile off.

Paramount must have been rubbing their hands with glee when Netflix agreed to take it on, as it would undoubtedly have stiffed at the cinema. I can only imagine that nobody at Netflix watched it before agreeing to the deal; they certainly got the shitty end of that financial stick.

Is this a sequel to the monster movie or another film with the word Cloverfield show horned into the title, like that Cloverfield Lane one?

Comment

Apparently it started life as a stand-alone movie with no link to the Cloverfield 'franchise', but with some re-writing it was re-born as a rather clumsy prequel / origin story for the first one.

Comment

That sounds really shit. I won’t bother.

Comment

I've seen this advertised on Netfllix. It's got Chris O'Dowd in it.

I will bet you he will be the only person with an inexplicable Irish accent in the whole film.

Comment

I will bet you he will be the only person with an inexplicable Irish accent in the whole film.
            To be fair, it apparently also has Zhang Ziyi as the only person inexplicably speaking Mandarin.

Comment

Without the benefit of reading this thread, I just watched this, and got all I deserved. From one of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes: "Somewhere along the development trail, someone in charge should have said: Arm! Get me a rewrite, arm!" (step up Richard Roeper of the Chicago-Sun Times). Felt like a long, unwieldy episode of Dr. Who, without about as much logic. I managed an empty laugh at the parodic slap in the face that constituted the very final scene. Viewer - ever feel like you've been had?

Comment

Working...
              X