• Show
Clear All

Rip John Mahoney

Genius in Frasier

Edited a medical journal before he went into acting, Hot Pepsi

Here's some of his early work

Aw, nuts.

Comment

Terrible news. Same age as my dad and I’ve always linked to two of them together (as I’m sure many people do with their own dads) because the part was so perfectly written and played.

Comment

Mahoney was a year older than I am going to be in April when Frasier started. Next year, I'll be Frasier Crane's father!

(Yes, yes, I know, he was too young to be Frasier's father etc.)

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

He was in a gay-themed movie called "The Broken Hearts Club" which was a wee bit of a mess, but of course he just about held it all together even though he was only in it for a few (telling) scenes.

And, of course, he has been a huge crush of mine for years.
          Last edited by Gerontophile; 06-02-2018, 06:21.

Comment

I guess this clip's for you, Gero

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Aw that's a shame, he was great.

Comment

He absolutely made Frasier. A sad loss.

Comment

Sad to hear,great character actor R.I.P

Comment

He was absolutely brilliant in Frasier. Loved him. Will be much missed.

Comment

I've only recently started enjoying Frasier and I thought he was great, more so when I discovered he was from the North West.

Comment

A very talented actor and very funny in interviews. Sad news.

Comment

It just got quite dusty in here :

https://twitter.com/KelseyGrammer/status/961302172389355520

I know Grammer has proved himself quite the arse over the years but I'm taking this at face value.

Comment

Grammer's grandfather died when he was 12 and his father was murdered the next year. So you'd have to think he's being genuine.

Comment

I had forgotten that but yes, very valid. His sister was murdered when she was 18 and he had to identify her body when only 20 and a lot of his subsequent substance abuse issues have been linked to that.

I wish I hadn't made any other comment now, it was in anticipation of criticism of Grammar but was probably redundant. It annoyed me on the day of Mahoney's death that there were stories online about Grammer's "failure" to tweet anything about it when other cast members did as if the speed with which one tweets a tribute (or if one tweets one at all) is a measure of how genuine one's grief is.

Comment

His Desert Island Discs was interesting on his Republicanism.

Comment

Just had a wee greet there. That’s some tweet.

Comment

Working...
                                    X