No announcement yet.

The new Kickaround with a WSC on the outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might have to get it for the boy then. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      There's non PL stuff there. Ipswich and Portsmouth.
      Frankfurt weren't in the Premier League last time I looked.

Comment

My list wasn't meant to be exhaustive.

Comment

Nothing on Lincoln this month?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Kickaround is a new kids' football magazine from WSC, the first issue of which is packaged as a supplement to this month's WSC, Aitch.
            Thanks, Sam. This month's WSC hasn't made it to these extremes yet.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
              Nothing on Lincoln this month?
              I'm sure their upcoming Wembley trip will make the first proper issue. Probably a cover story.

(TBH that would be fine with me)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Something about tactics, who's in the squad etc is interesting. Why are Shrewsbury above Blackburn in the table at that point, based on how they play? Do we really need to be told that Blackburn were doped to a Premier League title 23 years ago and the Venkys have been a disaster?
                But you can get read about tactics, etc from other reports elsewhere - especially on Shrewsbury who are never off the TV. Surely the whole lyricism of the report, the build of the setting and the context is the appeal of Match of the Month?

Comment

Kickaround seems like a bold and admirable idea really, a recognition that the angry, jaded young fan demographic that sustained WSC's early readership (and writer-ship) is now an angry, jaded middle-aged fan demographic, often with kids that they drag along to football with them. I think it got the tone right really, overall (though it overuses exclamation marks – there's enough of that in adult journalism).

Writing for kids is harder than writing for adults. I hope it succeeds.

Comment

You should have seen it before we had a last-minute punctuation cull Tom!!!
                    Last edited by Doug WSC; 13-02-2018, 12:28. Reason: To add more exclamation marks

Comment

Doug, the reference to Dean Henderson starting the bottle throwing incident with Blackburn fans might have been ill advised given fans have had to plead to criminal charges. I know it was a partisan writer but perhaps someone should have subbed that out to avoid blaming the player. (Not that he's blameless but the specific wording implies he caused the incident, which would need proving.)

Comment

Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury ... fucking hell the Slops get all the bloody attention these days

Comment

If you want, there's room on the bandwagon, JP

Comment

Speaking of Shrewsbury (which I believe we have been, quite a bit), I was surprised to read in the TV column that there had been a debate at the Beeb about how to pronounce their name. I can only think of one pronunciation, and looking at the word am hard pushed to imagine any other way of saying it, unless the local dialect churns it out as Shroiwsbarry or something.

Comment

Speaking of Shrewsbury (which I believe we have been, quite a bit), I was surprised to read in the TV column that there had been a debate at the Beeb about how to pronounce their name. I can only think of one pronunciation, and looking at the word am hard pushed to imagine any other way of saying it, unless the local dialect churns it out as Shroiwsbarry or something.
                              For years it seemed that the universally known pronunciation was "shrozebury" but in recent years it seems that everyone now accepts and realises that it is in fact pronounced exactly how you would expect it to be pronounced, and the years of shroze were some kind of elaborate prank

Comment

A close friend of mine who is Shrewsbury born and bred is adamant that it's "Shroosbury". His parents are adamant that it's "Shrosebury".

Comment

It's a class thing.

Wannabe Hyacinth Bucket's or the posh types who send their children to the private school call it Shrohzbury.

If you go to the football, it's Shroozbury.

If you're Eden Hazard it's Strawberry.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                                    A close friend of mine who is Shrewsbury born and bred is adamant that it's "Shroosbury". His parents are adamant that it's "Shrosebury".

Well then they're wrong, because if it was Shrosebury it wouldn't bloody well be spelt Shrewsbury, would it? It's like claiming a Jaffa Cake's not a biscuit.

Comment

Well then they're wrong, because if it was Shrosebury it wouldn't bloody well be spelt Shrewsbury, would it?
                                      Spelling, schmelling. If Shrewsbury was in Norfolk, it'd be pronounced 'Sherbruh'.

Comment

Place names here bear little resemblance to the local pronunciations: we live in Weingarten (everyone calls it Wingerde). I went to watch Mechtersheim (Meddersche) play just before Christmas, and will be heading down to catch a game in Zeiskam (Zääse) soon. I often have very little idea what people are saying to me here, and we've lived in the village since 2010...

Comment

Well then they're wrong, because if it was Shrosebury it wouldn't bloody well be spelt Shrewsbury, would it? It's like claiming a Jaffa Cake's not a biscuit.
                                          Do you pronounce the second "L" in Lincoln?

Comment

If you live on the Welsh (i.e. proper) side of the river it's Shroosbree .. if you think you're posh it's Sh-row-sbury ... or at least that's what I was told.

Anyway, it's really called Yr Amwythig.

Comment

Es and Os were sort of interchangeable once weren't they? Which is why it's often shew meaning show in Shakespeare and such like. (You'd know this if you came from a place with history and not a new town like Lincoln.)

Also to add to the confusion it was often spelled Shrowesbury or Shrowesburg back in medieval times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post

Anyway, it's really called Yr Amwythig.
                                                Word.

Comment

Not in Scrabble it ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmer View Post
                                                    Do you pronounce the second "L" in Lincoln?
                                                    A breath. Just the breath of an L. Like a breeze coming off the mighty Witham.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X