X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
    Twiki from Buck Rogers.

(Or professor Yueh?)
    Well, Twiki was a robot. Dr Theopolis was the talking computer, but he was boring as shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      Which Holly?
      Just spotted this. Holly has been the same computer throughout, but with a different screen face, originally Norman Lovett's. Hattie Hayridge first appeared as Hilly when they all met with their female counterparts in a parallel universe (apart from Cat, whose parallel universe character was a scruffy dog). Holly changed his face to Hilly's after falling in love with her.

Comment

I find myself a bit confused by Futurama. I've watched a lot of it, and I really want to like it, but it doesn't really do it for me. I mean it's as competently and professionally done as you'd expect from Matt Groening but It just doesn't work for me. Is it that I'm not really a fan of Sci-fi, or is it that I can't help comparing it to the simpsons, which is rather unfair. What is it that people who like it, really like about it?
        To be honest, I prefer Futurama to The Simpsons. It's more tightly written and it's a more old fashioned comedy. Two idiots, (Fry and Bender) one of whom thinks he's clever. It's quite Laurel and Hardy.
        The first 4 series are cracking, then there was a huge dip in quality when they brought it back. But the world building of it is a cut above most TV - all the supporting characters and the recurring characters are nicely played and all serve a purpose in the world-building that isn't just laughing at the funny foreigners and their funny accents (Apu and Groundskeeper Willie for example.)
        There's also character development. The Simpsons are always the Simpsons. Fry, Leela, Amy, even Prof Farnsworth have a character arc over the duration of the show.

And Zapp Brannigan is such a brilliantly ludicrous creature.

Comment

I can't remember the episode name but there's one in the first series where Bender gets religion that is still one of the funniest things I've ever watched. I always laugh.

"Help! They're torturing me with up tempo singing and dancing."

Comment

"Crimes of the hot" for me, Clive.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              I can't remember the episode name but there's one in the first series where Bender gets religion that is still one of the funniest things I've ever watched. I always laugh.

"Help! They're torturing me with up tempo singing and dancing."
              That would be season 1's "Hell Is Other Robots".

Comment

Zapp is a brilliant comic creation, and an absolute goldmine for quotes.

You know, I find the most erotic part of a woman is the boobies.
                Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 14-02-2018, 12:41.

Comment

And since we've made a couple of references to h2g2 already in this thread, might as well mention that there is a lot of Zaphod Beeblebrox in Zapp Brannigan (even down to the initials).

Comment

Blatant Hitch-Hiker's reference:
                    Last edited by Kevin S; 14-02-2018, 11:55.

Comment

That's the one. Built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro.

Comment

"My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it!"

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                          "My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it!"
                          That made me laugh again, reading that.

Comment

Working...
                          X