Blondie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blondie Thread

Fanmail live 1977 suggests the band had very few punk elements except the higher speed of playing than the previous rock generation. The musicians are far too accomplished and the keyboards are very prominent for example (like Steve Nieve in Elvis Costello and the Attractions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnJ9bNEan0

This is a gem; fucking drums!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1qrRTHKV1g
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-02-2018, 12:49.

Saw them twice during the late 70s, and yes if you played CBGBs back then you were punk by definition if not actuality. The first time I saw them Gary Valentine was still in the band and there seemed to be a fair amount of "fighting for stage" going on with Debbie. It added an edge that made them more interesting than later, but would probably not have been good for their long-term survival.
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 01-02-2018, 15:50.

Comment

The stranglers had a bloody harpsichord, and you don't hear much bellyaching about their punk credentials. I think it has to do with them being so fucking intimidating. I mean it would be a brave man who slagged off Debbie Harry to her face, but the stranglers looked like they had killed people.

Comment

I'm stunned that anyone would think Blondie looked intimidating. I'm the first in line to cower in the presence of a scary woman, but Debbie is about as terrifying as Violet-Elizabeth Bott in the William books.

Comment

Were the Stranglers really hard or just acting it? Weren’t they older teachery types than the punks? When you’ve got a road crew and cultivate a rep with pencil neck music journos but you might well end up acting the hard bastard the whole time after. Anyway, they were Doors-y shit. Except for Gordon Brown.

Comment

AdC, I think Berba was saying it was the Stranglers who looked intimidating.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
              I'm stunned that anyone would think Blondie looked intimidating. I'm the first in line to cower in the presence of a scary woman, but Debbie is about as terrifying as Violet-Elizabeth Bott in the William books.
              Dunno man, she looks capable of the most incredible cut dead stare.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                Dunno man, she looks capable of the most incredible cut dead stare.
                Yeah but a look doesn't kill. Thing is Debbie don't dance at all, no sense of rhythm. And a woman with no moves can never strike terror in man's heart. Now Patti Smith — who's an absolute pussycat — is a cheetah on the floor, consequently I would freeze inside before I got ten yards of her.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                  AdC, I think Berba was saying it was the Stranglers who looked intimidating.
                  "I mean it would be a brave man who slagged off Debbie Harry to her face,"

Comment

Anyway, they were Doors-y shit.
                    The Naughty Corner's at the back of the room. Face the wall and put on this pointy hat with the 'D' on it.

Comment

Sorry Amor, but when I hear shitty organ riffs, that’s when I reach for my revolver. At least they didn’t do Manzerak length solos.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

This is a gem; fucking drums!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1qrRTHKV1g
                        Before looking, I knew exactly which song you were talking about (well, guessed).

I think it was that performance on Musikladen which prompted me to buy my first Blondie record. Here's the full Musikladen concert. You can see how it came across as punk back then.

Comment

Sorry Amor, but when I hear shitty organ riffs, that’s when I reach for my revolver. At least they didn’t do Manzerak length solos.
                          Luuuurve shitty organ riffs! 96 Tears, Louie Louie... It just doesn't get any better than that.

Comment

No argument re shitty organ riffs in garage rock, Sister Ray, stereolab etc. But muso shitty riffs, bleugh.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 01-02-2018, 17:57.

Comment

I guess I don't draw a distinction. I do agree that Manzarek was a colossal wanker who tried to milk the Doors rep way beyond it's rightful time, but for three and a half albums they were the puppy's pubes.
                              Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 01-02-2018, 18:20.

Comment

The Doors were the first “proper” band I got into. They are perfect for virginal 15 year olds who fancy themselves as “deep”, but like cider I can never go back.

Comment

I bought their first album on its UK release without hearing it or knowing who they were. I got so excited I played the entire thing over the phone (it was 1967) to my best mate. I was 19, obviously a late developer.

Comment

Heh I think it’s more what they became as a signifier to later generations. Here is something beyond mere pop pap, how Important it is. Course the bloody film came out as well just as my pubes finally came in, I was easy prey for the hype machine. Was about 6 months before I touched a music paper, but vaguely knowing there was a world beyond windy Celtic bollocks like Deacon Blue or over produced pish like fucking INXS.

Can’t deny Break on Through and The End still sound great.
                                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 01-02-2018, 18:47.

Comment

I think it’s more what they became as a signifier to later generations. Course the bloody film came out as well
                                      Yeah. I think both those observations/factors are spot on. Even before Morrison died it was becoming hard to grasp just what made them so important in 1967. Among significant US bands only three had a darkness that jarred with the peace love and flowers hippy-dippy drones of the day, The Velvets (who almost no one had heard of), Love, (who only a handful of people had heard of) and the Doors (who everyone heard about very quickly.) But it was because of their extremely fuckable front-man, as much — or more — than their music. Their immediate popularity, or Morrison's, became a cross their later reputation had to bear.

Comment

The soundtrack cassette I shoplifted from Boots did have Heroin by the Velvets on it but, so I’d soon have a tape of a best of VU CD from my local library. And then my mind split open. I’ll give Stone that.

Comment

A very welcome and long overdue thread on an early "favourite band" and a significant adolescent crush. I reckon they could get a bit punky if they felt like it: Youth Nabbed As Sniper. She even tries a bit of a dance.

Excuse the beginning, obviously off the TV, but very evocative.

Comment

Oh and Clem Burke is an amazing drummer.

Comment

I thought the belief regarding the Stranglers was that they were too old and too musically proficient?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                                I thought the belief regarding the Stranglers was that they were too old and too musically proficient?
                                                No, it was 'cos they were tossers and crap.

Comment

Can't understand why the Clash ever had so many followers. Poncey middle class wannabees playing skiffle on electric guitars. I rest my case.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X