No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I bought a ticket for Kyary Pamyu Pamyu at Koko, in London. At £31:50 all in, this is the most expensive ticket I've bought for at least 10 years and possibly 20. I'm not even that much of a fan, but she's just one of those shows that you have to witness, I feel (and I missed her London date, last time round). Her videos (and songs) are absolutely insane (exhibit 1, exhibit 2, exhibit 3) and I'm hoping that the stage show - allegedly spectacular - comes halfway close to echoing them. (In case anyne else here is interested in going, I found that buying tickets via Stargreen worked out cheapest by a pound or more.)

That's on a Sunday, at the end of what is going to be a busy weekend for me: 3 gig days in a row. On the Friday it's Vile Electrodes (yes, again!) and Battery Operated Orchestra (yes, again!) at The Palace, in Hastings. Then, on the Saturday, it's B12, Christ., ADJ, and others taking part in the Touched Live event, for MacMillan Cancer Support, also in Hastings, across a couple of venues. Then on Sunday it's the aforementioned Kyary Pamyu Pamyu headfuck. Fortunately I've got the Monday off work!

Comment

I saw the Baby Shakes the other night, and they were pretty good.

Comment

I went to see Natalie Prass at the Bush Hall last night. The venue is a former dancehall on Uxbridge Road and very striking but their staple booking policy, mostly Americana and Communion singer songwriter stuff, doesn't usually grab me. Support was Jalen N'Gonda, who did retro soul with just a guitar for accompaniment and was very enjoyable on a spring evening. Natalie Prass did a lot of new stuff, which had a strong southern and '80s soul/dance feel and even went a bit jazz funk in parts. The oldies came in punchy versions quite dissimilar to the baroque orchestral arrangements on her first album, but this was already the case when it was first released. NP is a very engaging stage presence, chatting with the audience, jerkily dancing and even head banging at one point. A good, mixed crowd were voluble in their appreciation of both acts. All in all, a fine start to the week.
        Last edited by Benjm; 24-04-2018, 16:58.

Comment

The Jimmy Webb gig was more of "an audience with", lots of stories about Glen, Dick Harris, Harry Nilsson, Nina Simone and a cast of several ex-girlfriends while he tinkled the piano keys.

He has good stories though.

The highlight for me was his singing Wichita Lineman; he's not Glen but it's his song.

He also sang the cake in the rain song.

Comment

Going to hear didn't sets from Martin Freeman and Tracey Thorn tonight,have to remind myself not to make an arse of myself in front of Tracey

Comment

Just noticed fucking autocorrect,It's DJ not didn't

Comment

Wahey! I just booked a ticket to see PiL at the 100 Club in June, one of those £5 Fred Perry shows.

Before that, got a busy next few weeks with The Monochrome Set on Friday in Lewes, NY newcomers Bodega at the Social, an instore thing with Aussie Damaged Goods signings Amyl and the Sniffers and Sparks at the Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  I went to see Natalie Prass at the Bush Hall last night. The venue is a former dancehall on Uxbridge Road and very striking but their staple booking policy, mostly Americana and Communion singer songwriter stuff, doesn't usually grab me. Support was Jalen N'Gonda, who did retro soul with just a guitar for accompaniment and was very enjoyable on a spring evening. Natalie Prass did a lot of new stuff, which had a strong southern and '80s soul/dance feel and even went a bit jazz funk in parts. The oldies came in punchy versions quite dissimilar to the baroque orchestral arrangements on her first album, but this was already the case when it was first released. NP is a very engaging stage presence, chatting with the audience, jerkily dancing and even head banging at one point. A good, mixed crowd were voluble in their appreciation of both acts. All in all, a fine start to the week.
                  I had a ticket for her Manchester show but decided against it due to having too many other things on that week. I see she's back in the autumn but only London announced so far.

Comment

Wahey! I just booked a ticket to see PiL at the 100 Club in June, one of those £5 Fred Perry shows.

Before that, got a busy next few weeks with The Monochrome Set on Friday in Lewes, NY newcomers Bodega at the Social, an instore thing with Aussie Damaged Goods signings Amyl and the Sniffers and Sparks at the Forum.
                    Oh, wow! #1 - you managed to get one of those PiL tickets? I happened to look at Facebook just as they announced it there, but by the time I followed the link, they'd all gone - less than 4 minutes after the announcement and release time! Well done!

Oh, wow! #2 - The Monochrome Set! I'm only a borderline fan of them, so although I'm curious to see them, I'm not £15:40 worth of curious. It would also feel perverse to be paying more than three times as much for their ticket as for PiL's. I actually think they've overpriced that a little, as that's quite a bit more than Shriekback were charging, when they played there, last year. Still - thanks for the heads-up re that gig - I shall alert a Brighton-based friend (who wouldn't be spending the same amount again in petrol, as I would be, if I were to go.)

Comment

Cheers, evilc! I may literally have got the last PiL ticket; I tried to up my order to 2 but the booking site said no can do so I rushed to check out, worried that I might have inadvertently released the single ticket.

The Monochrome Set is a run out with brother-in-law who lives just outside Lewes, so logistics are taken care of. First time at the Con Club for me but it looks like a nice little venue. Did you like it when you visited?

Comment

...First time at the Con Club for me but it looks like a nice little venue. Did you like it when you visited?
                        Yes, I do like it. It's totally just a 'working mens club' vibe and layout, with a nice little beer garden at the back for when the weather is good. The music space is just parallel to the bar and it's relatively easy to just slide in next to the right-hand speaker stack, at the front of the stage (though it gets a bit rammed, of course). It's also slightly surprising that they get away with making the noise that they do, as it essentially in a 'terraced' set-up. I'd hate to live near the place! :-)

One thing I found out when I went to the Shriekback gig was this: I went straight from work (Guildford), so as to be able to take it easy on the drive down, but this also meant I got there rather early - before 7pm, I think. At this time, they didn't yet have the 'little table next to the door' set up, so no-one checked my ticket at any point in the evening! I watched the gig free, in effect ...or, at least, I could have done if I'd wanted to. An odd situation, but a possible 'top tip' for any unscrupulous sort trying to scab a free gig.

Oh, and I hope you're within walking distance of the town centre, as parking there is surprisingly bad from early on. The first time I went, I think I drove round the town's various car parks four times before I managed to find a space in any of them. It's posh restaurant city, basically.

Comment

So, the Monochrome Set were alright. They are pretty much the ur-indiepop band (jangle & twang section), but in practice their material can get a wee bit samey. A big fan that I encountered by the bar reckoned that it was an underpowered performance by their usual standards. The Con Club was indeed pretty cool and top punk face Jordan was in the audience.

Comment

Still tickets for their gig at Putney this weekend. I might sell mine as I'm just bloody exhausted.

Comment

I saw the Cavemen the other night, by the way. They were fantastic. Support band also good and I might look up their name, Bad Nerves or something.

Comment

I think we caught an off night for the Set rather than there being anything deeply awry with them.

Is the end in sight with the trial by moving?
                                Last edited by Benjm; 15-05-2018, 21:53.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                  I saw the Cavemen the other night, by the way. They were fantastic. Support band also good and I might look up their name, Bad Nerves or something.
                                  There must have been quite a few other outfits called The Cavemen over the years. It wouldn't seem implausible if every band on those Nuggets compilations was called The Cavemen.

Bad Nerves isn't such a good name. Better than Lumbago, but not much.

Comment

Last night, Nathaniel Raitliff & The Night Sweats at the legendary (and closing next month for a full reno) Massey Hall. A raucous barn-burner of a show with the audience in full voice and full beer. It's our last show there for a long while and a great send-off.

Would definitely see again. Very talented and a tight 8 piece act.

Comment

Observations from the Kyary Pamyu Pamyu gig:

a) WOW!!!

b) That was fucking loud! I'm glad I took my earplugs now. I thought I'd need them for the crowd, rather than the music, but no.

c) When they say 8pm start, they really mean it! I turned up at 5 past and she was already at least one song in.

d) The T-shirts! Psychic TV, Cloven Hoof, Mario World, Motorhead (natch!) ...and I was representing Kraftwerk, of course. *Loads* of Metalheads!

e) I actually didn't spot anyone who was obviously under 25, when I was expecting it to be full of Japanese teens.

f) Not only was it good to see a gig where at least 50% of the crowd was female, but it was also probably the most (obviously) multiracial gig I've ever attended. (Yes, even more so than Hiphoprisy, Bim Sherman, MC 900ft Jesus or Sensational. There may, of course, have been more European fans at Einsturzende Neubauten or Super Girl & Romantic Boys, as a percentage, but it was impossible to tell.)

g) If you ever wondered where all the pogoing and bouncing at gigs has gone... the answer would seemingly be J-Pop gigs! It was fantastic to witness an entire room of hundreds of people bouncing as one! Took me back, it did!

h) Those are some devoted fans! They seemed to know all the dance moves, all the hand movements. Again, quite a sight to behold (from the back)

i) I was surprised how many of her songs I actually know (as a newbie)! There were only a couple I didn't.

So yes - it was worth going!

Comment

Not my thing and probably not the thing of many who venture onto this thread, but just in case it is - you can buy tickets for the forthcoming Rolling Stones stadium gigs on their website for £35. You look for and select the Lucky Dip option, and basically the tickets can be anywhere (and there's conflicting advice on whether you'll be guaranteed to sit together) and have to be picked up on the day, with ID as an anti touting measure.

This is a common thing from them - my sister once took this option for one of their gigs and ended up in the otherwise very expensive seats. They present it as providing value for the real fans, but in practice it means they can charge top whack for the expensive seats and if they sell 90% of them fill the remainder with lucky dippers so they don't have rows of empty seats.

They did it for a short time when the shows went on sale, the fact they are doing it again at the last minute (and, I hear, punting it on Groupon) suggests tickets are in unexpectedly ample availability.

Comment

I'd have done that only I'm at the cricket all day Friday and I'd never get a baby sitter at that notice.
                                          I'm not a big fan, but for £35/ticket why not, eh?

Comment

Bluetones were as fun as usual. Very proficient live.
                                            The sound at Shepherd's Bush is terrible though, isn't it?

Comment

A cautious thumbs up for Kyary Pamyu Pamyu from evilc, then!

I almost had a moment of madness looking at Rolling Stones tickets but the cursed London Stadium was a big turn off in terms of just going for the experience, plus I've got Amyl and the Sniffers and Sparks on Tuesday and Thursday so giving up Wednesday's night in wasn't too appealing.

Last Friday I went to a cinema broadcast of one of the Charlatans' string of hometown shows. It was good fun. I'm not a massive fan but the show demonstrated how distinctive their sound is and selections from throughout their career sat happily next to each other. Tim Burgess was wearing a baggy sweatshirt and Joe Bloggs style jeans, rather than the skinny trews he seems to favour when he's hanging out with Throbbing Gristle on his own time. The atmosphere in the cinema was really enjoyable; everyone seemed to recognise that it was a slightly ridiculous occasion but decided to have a happy, friendly time regardless.

Comment

Waiting for... rap-core? hard-hop? outfit Ho99o9 at the Lexington. I'm definitely the only person wearing a Snoopy shirt and quite possibly the only one without a leg tattoo.

Amyl and the Sniffers and Sparks were both fab earlier in the week, and I should expand upon this from a recumbent position tomorrow.

Comment

As part of the City Of Culture celebrations last year, a host of gigs took place in various offbeat places outside the city centre, and they were a runaway success so are continuing this year, and this Thursday sees The Coral playing at North Point shopping centre (known locally as Knife Point) on the not-quite-as-notorious-as-it-used-to-be Bransholme estate. Black Grape and Reverend and the Makers played there last year, and Shaun Ryder loved it, proclaiming that he never thought he'd end up singing outside 'fookin' Iceland'.

Comment

Went to see Black Nail Cabaret, last night. Very good, as expected. Sadly, it was also the last time they'll play in the UK for the foreseeable future.

-

-

Off to an afternoon gig, next Saturday, that is mostly Ambient in nature. One of the rare times I've bought a ticket for a gig before knowing who is playing, but this was put on by Bleep43, so I suspected it would be sound. It turned out I was correct, as one of the acts playing is one of my favourites, Plant43 aka Emile Facey, who usually sounds like this, but next week will be sounding more like this. Also on the bill are Datasette - another act I like - plus Jonathan Fitoussi, Jo Johnson and Ali Wade ...all for a tenner! As with the Kyary Pamyu Pamyu gig, this is my version of 'stepping outside of my comfort zone' ...if only a little, as it turned out in the end!

Also, it's set in The Crypt On The Green, so is a bit of a sensory treat all-round. (Oh, and they've arranged it so that you can take your own booze! There's a decent pub just across the road, though, so I think I'l be sorted! :-) )

Immediately after that, I'll be off across town (despite tube disruption) to another one of my 'bedroom electropop' gigs, which is being put on by an acquaintance - this time at The Beehive in Bromley-By-Bow. I may not like all the music on show there, but hey - it's only a fiver for four bands! ...and I might really like some of them - I just don't know yet!
                                                    Last edited by evilC; 03-06-2018, 22:48.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X