No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to see A Certain Ratio in Newcastle last weekend. They were brilliant. Great performance, sound and atmosphere in a smallish club. The set list was heavily weighted towards the Factory years and later eighties, with some full on whistle blowing, latinesque workouts alongside the early spectral funk classics. They were knocking out some great badges too. Strongly recommended, as they seem to be touring quite extensively by their standards this year.

Comment

Carpenter Brut live....like having every single music cliches of the 80s, mainly at the hard rock and action movie synth soundtrack end rammed into you for over an hour. Loved it!!!

Comment

That sounds great, MS. Just looked up his London show tomorrow but it's sold out (at Koko, a 1400 capacity venue).

Comment

Music also inspired by John Carpenter soundtracks. Check them out on Bandcamp.

Comment

I've booked tickets for Nick Cave, Patti Smith and the P Furs at Victoria Park in June, as I couldn't get Furs tickets at the Meltdown Fest.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
              I've booked tickets for Nick Cave, Patti Smith and the P Furs at Victoria Park in June, as I couldn't get Furs tickets at the Meltdown Fest.
              Those All Points East gigs have great line ups, but with mixed consequences for us in the frozen north. Some of the acts are on exclusive deals there so aren't showing up at festivals outside London*, but a lot of the non UK based acts are doing Scottish/northern gigs on the back of their APE appearances, contributing to a hectic late May / early June for me.

In fact I'm going to see Phoenix tonight in Glasgow, which isn't quite an example of the above, but they are on a run of a few provincial dates and covering London with their APE appearance.

*Similarly The Cure's forty year anniversary bash is billed as an exclusive to British Summer Time in Hyde Park, though could see them touring it later once the embargo passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                Music also inspired by John Carpenter soundtracks. Check them out on Bandcamp.
                I'm also getting a strong Amiga vibe - and I mean that in a very good way.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  I'm also getting a strong Amiga vibe - and I mean that in a very good way.
                  Or possibly Atari 520 ST......During the show, they were showing a medley of 80's horror movies/teen movies and assorted 80's cheesy stuff. They do thread a very thin line, with great aplomb (them being French, I had to us such a word...)

Bonus - guitar hero chap salutes the crowd with a horn symbol when coming on stage to wild applause and cheers....

Comment

Phoenix was the gig of the year so far, I was stunned as to how good they were. Things didn't bode well - I'd reckon the Barrowlands was only half sold, and after three songs the singer said his voice was fucked but he'd try and carry on - but then they seemed to move up a gear. I was expecting an evening of predominantly jingle and/or jangle but it was all turned up to 11 and the crowd were lapping it up. They played Love Like A Sunset, for which I would have paid the admission fee for that alone, and the set ended with laddo singing while standing upright on the crowd's outstretched hands, pace Iggy Pop, while the band thrashed away on the stage. Brilliant, nights like that keep me heading out there.
                    Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 28-03-2018, 20:16.

Comment

I'm slowly recovering from two nights in a row with Roman glam stomp kings Giuda at The Lexington. They were absolutely brilliant. I half expected diminishing returns on the second night but it was as thrilling as the first. If you aren't familiar with their stuff, it is no frills Glitter Band/Slade bovver rock with lots of "Hey!"-ing, but that doesn't remotely begin to do them justice. Singer Tenda is the greatest frontman I have ever seen, sensual in his enjoyment of the music but always letting the crowd know that we are on an adventure together. The band know how to stand in sequence, wearing cut off denim jackets, and make it look like the coolest thing ever. It's a gang you want to join, and we do.

Band aside, it was a great, friendly crowd and a very social occasion. If you can happily talk about your badge selections for long chunks of time, it is nice to be around like-minded popheads. It was great as ever to see MsD, who is as super in life as she is onscreen. David Bowie knew when to go out and when to stay in, get things done. Today is for staying in and pondering whether lying on the sofa watching The Horror Channel counts as getting things done. It doesn't matter though; seeing a group completely mastering pop music, the greatest art form, twice in one weekend is more than enough to be happy with.

Comment

^ Agree with all that (including the compliment, ta). They were fab, absolutely on point.

Apart from the unpleasantness at the end which I've described on the Mundane Thread, and a little ongoing romantic disappointment, it was a top night. Good to see Benjm, and there were a few of my mates from the TalkPunk forum there.

Can't wait till the next Giuda, hope there's one in the summer, and I would happily travel to see them.

Agree about Tenda, he's nearly as good a frontman as Adam :-)

Comment

Andy Lone Shark (mine and Bored's point of intersection) posted a load of pics and tagged me in them, you should be able to see them, Ben. Made me well jell as he got to hang with my second favourite pop group.

Comment

Ooh, I'll look out for those.

Faz Waltz, Italy's second best known bootboy glam outfit, are playing at The Lock Tavern next week. I may try and get over there for that. I saw them support Giuda once and remember thinking that they were good, but that was at the Buffalo Bar by H&I tube so must have been a few years ago now.

Comment

Wahey! I've just booked tickets for Ladytron in Glasgow in November. Quite tempted to get one for the Roundhouse as well.

Comment

I bought tickets for Killing Joke at the Roundhouse in November.

It's as much of a social occasion as anything. Just hope it doesn't clash with a Fest-Tea-Val or I'll have hard choices to make.

The Sex Gang Children's not Alien Sex Fiends' drummer is DJing at our local tonight, I may look in, but this was where someone knocked a pint flying last time so I shall keep that in mind when planning what to wear. A manky old torn t-shirt should cut it, I reckon.

Comment

Intrigued by this article in the Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...d-of-90s-indie my friend booked tickets to see Neds and The Wonderstuff tonight in Birmingham. As she managed to pay "1990 prices" for them - £7, I think - it was a no-brainer, even though I'm no fan of either group I'm happy to go along for the ride. Have spent the afternoon familiarising myself with their stuff via Spotify. Will report back.

Comment

I saw The Wonderstuff back in the day and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                      Wahey! I've just booked tickets for Ladytron in Glasgow in November. Quite tempted to get one for the Roundhouse as well.
                                      I'm going to that too - and because it's not worth starting a new thread for I'll mention it here - Wtf is it with acts announcing album releases six months in advance? If it's finished just release it.

Comment

I've bought a ticket for the Ladytron Roundhouse gig.

Comment

Got tickets for Madness and the Lightening seeds in July, in a rare event standing tickets are more expensive than seated, they know their audience,who's going to sit down when Madness are playing

Comment

I've doubled up on Ladytron but will be hoping for a trouble free journey down from Scotland on the afternoon of the Roundhouse show. They seem to be suggesting that the album will only be finished off once the crowdfunding drive has finished. They're pretty much at their target, dunno whether it would actually have been scrapped otherwise.

I went along to see Faz Waltz in the end. They share some glam/bootboy trappings with Giuda but are basically a classic power trio and could have delivered their set in a number of sub-genres with minimal adjustment, unlike Giuda who are totally unique. At times, they could almost have been Stereophonics. I did buy a 2" badge cos, well, big badges. The Lock Tavern is a peculiar venue; the upstairs performance space is small and also the access route for the roof terrace. Not great for grabbing a spot and staying there.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              I saw The Wonderstuff back in the day and enjoyed it thoroughly.
                                              Yes, they put on a great show tonight. Miles Hunt is a really good frontman.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                                Miles Hunt is a really good frontman.
                                                He looks to be quite well preserved too.

The Wonderstuff's rise coincided with my being a teen so, as a local outfit, we used to see them quite a lot. This culminated in their Bescot Stadium show within earshot of my parents' house. The second outdoor concert at the Bescot was Elton John, a mere 24 years later, so they were clearly a tough act to follow.

Comment

SO this years gigs are starting to stack up a bit. (Not like the olden days, but.)

Bluetones - Water Rats (April)
                                                  Bluetones - Shepherd Bush (May) I might be going to one of these rather than both. My mate who got the tickets is being cryptic as his daughter is in a play.
                                                  Loop - Meltdown Festival (June)
                                                  Suzanne Vega - Meltdown Festival (June) Maybe. But I have seen her a few times over the last few years.
                                                  Death Cab for Cutie - Meltdown Festival (June) Maybe if I can get a babysitter that night.
                                                  Cureation-25 - Meltdown Festival (June) Basically the Cure. WooHoo!
                                                  The Cure - Hyde Park (July) Might even go in time to see Editors, Goldfrapp and Interpol play support.
                                                  ELO - The 02 (October) Really looking forward to this one. My Dad was a big fan so I grew up with them on all the time when I was a kid. Well, them and 10CC and they're never playing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                    I've doubled up on Ladytron but will be hoping for a trouble free journey down from Scotland on the afternoon of the Roundhouse show. They seem to be suggesting that the album will only be finished off once the crowdfunding drive has finished. They're pretty much at their target, dunno whether it would actually have been scrapped otherwise.
                                                    Ah right hadn't seen that but thanks for sending me in that direction, I'll get on board - they are at 99% so I'm sure it's all go.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X