The Big Gig Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Gig Thread 2018

Can't let January slip away without getting the thread going. Props to Satchmo for making it out to a show in the first week of January.

Last night I went to see Duds at The Lexington. They're a weird mixture of early ACR and Bogshed. The matching dun coloured uniforms, brass and percussion and general punk/funk feel is very ACR. But all their songs are about 90 seconds long and, without enough time for grooves to really develop, the jerkiness in the sound becomes dominant, which is what put me in mind of Bogshed.

Support was from The Rebel, a solo performer singing about mental illness, bereavement and the artistic process over guitar and rudimentary electronics. Quite unsettling. I hadn't come across him before but apparently he is quite prolific in this guise and as the leader of the Country Teasers.

The other weekend I went to the Rockaway Beach festival. Highlights were Helen Love, British Sea Power and, unexpectedly, Peter Hook and The Light. Breakout performance of the weekend seemed to be Snapped Ankles, who we missed having nipped off for a drink and a smoke. The hangover lasted for most of the following week.

Coming up in the next couple of months: Colleen Green, Evil Blizzard, The Lovely Eggs, Go-Kart Mozart, ACR and a two night stand from Roman bovver giants Giuda.

I've got tickets for Bastille Reorchestrated in April. I'm excited.

Comment

Last night I ventured down the spiritual home of doomy black clad rock, the Camden Underworld, to see Evil Blizzard. Support came from Nasty Little Lonely, who are very much the kind of band one might expect to find playing at the Camden Underworld, but engaging enough. It is fair to say that Evil Blizzard stand out from the crowd by dint of their four bass players (five by the end of the night), singing drummer, costumes and masks. Musically they're hard to describe, aside from 'bass-heavy', but early PIL and Hawkwind are definitely in the mix. The vocals, in particular, are very Lydon-esque. One of their signature tunes has a lead bass line that is very reminiscent of Material Girl, adding to the incongruity. I had my photo taken with a man dressed as Francis Bacon's screaming pope afterwards.

Comment

I was at the Lexington for The Monochrome Set. Enjoyed them more than I did in November, they seemed much more jolly and upbeat. They were joined by Lester Square for the "second half". Opinions were divided over whether his guitar added something, or whether his flange-heavy shredding detracted from their spare, sharp songs. Apparently the guitar had been wilder and A Bit Much on the Saturday, on the Sunday it had apparently been toned down and wasn't that intrusive, except, for me, on the track of theirs that I know the best: Eine Symphonie Des Grauens, which I like for the spare clipalong. Still, good to mix things up, I suppose.

They encored twice and hung around after their set.

It was the most male-dominated gig I can remember for a while, I think maybe a dozen women there in total. I was quite the Belle of the Ball, and had the downstairs Ladies' all to myself. The cloakroom was a sea of black and grey with a little khaki thrown in. One of my male friends bucked the trend with a very loud jumper, which he managed to dance in all evening, despite it being hot as hell in there.

I have tickets to see them in Putney with the Fallen Leaves in May, am looking forward to it.

Comment

Please tell me they played The Etcetera Stroll.

Comment

Belly are going to tour again (the band with Tonya Donnelly, not the rapper) and I may try to see them in DC or Philly this summer, but I probably won't. When the time gets closer I'll balk at the price, I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              Belly are going to tour again (the band with Tonya Donnelly, not the rapper) and I may try to see them in DC or Philly this summer, but I probably won't. When the time gets closer I'll balk at the price, I bet.
              Saw them in 2016 on one of the early shows of the comeback tour, and they were in great form, even though they kept apologising for not being fully up to speed - and they played a long set.

Meanwhile I've been out a few times this year, including a three night spell of seeing Mogwai in Newcastle (by car), Sikth in Carlisle (by foot) and Architects at Alexandra Palace in London (by unexpectedly epic train journey). The latter two with Thing One, who is now branching out on his own (well, with mates) and he went to see Kendrick Lamar last night. He was in the "golden circle" (someone else paid) and at one point the lad Kendrick was wearing Thing One's beanie hat.

Comment

I am going to see Idles in Brooklyn next month.

Comment

I saw Go-Kart Mozart, Lawrence of Felt/Denim cult renown's current outfit, at The Social last night. They were very entertaining. Their thing is sort of '70s MOR as it might have been played by VU/Modern Lovers. They are also proud West Midlanders.

Comment

Went to see Jen Cloher in a sold out basement in Glasgow last week. She is Courtney Barnett's wife, and Barnett plays guitar in her backing band. This was the draw card for me and, I suspect, most of the crowd but the whole thing was a roaring success - Cloher is a great performer and Barnett, while happy to stand at the side, chip in with occasional backing vocals/duetting and let Cloher take the limelight, was able to let go on the guitar and she can play.

Comment

You may remember in my previous guise that I championed this band a bit. Well, things are moving fast for them, they've signed up to the Primary Talent management team (The Horrors, Wolf Alice, Noel Gallagher, etc) and are embarking on a tour under the This Feeling banner. Arguably the best live band in the country at the minute, if they're anywhere near you, get a ticket and go see

https://www.avalancheparty.com/live-shows

Comment

Woohoo! Just secured two tix to Mickey Dolenz / Michael Nesmith doing Monkees and solo stuff. Holy shit....papa nez touring again (albeit a short one). Never thought I'd see it.

And just a week after Springsteen on Broadway. We're going to need a lie-in.

Comment

Saw Alan Doyle (formerly of Great Big Sea) last night at Massey Hall. I don't know much of his stuff, but went as a tag-along with L and my sister, who've seen him many times.

Excellent all around. Would see again.

Patrick Thistle, tell your missus that Ed Robertson turned up for a walk-on for 1,2,3,4 (which he co-wrote) - a whiskey-soaked stomper of a song.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                            I saw Go-Kart Mozart, Lawrence of Felt/Denim cult renown's current outfit, at The Social last night. They were very entertaining. Their thing is sort of '70s MOR as it might have been played by VU/Modern Lovers. They are also proud West Midlanders.
                            I could have gone to that, my friend had a spare ticket, but I thought it looked a bit boring. Damn.

Comment

I've been to the Lexington again (last Sunday) to see the Fallen Women plus guests, and their MES special tribute.

The whole set is a bit much for me, but I got to see Vic Godard doing Ghost in my House, which was quite special. I've seen Subway Sect off and on since back in the day, and didn't fully appreciate them when I was younger (spoilt for choice etc.).

Comment

I was sorry to miss the Fallen Women, although 30 (?) songs does sound like a bit of a stretch. I saw Vic Godard guesting with his sometime backing band The Bitter Springs when they played with The Band Of Holy Joy and Blue Orchids at The Lexington last autumn.

Next up for me is Goat Girl at a Quietus night at The Social on Wednesday. £5, so can't go too far wrong, hopefully. I heard a GG track on the radio yesterday and it was less abrasive than expected.

Comment

They played my local (5 mins away) and I didn't go, they were very good by all accounts. Yes, £5 and Quietus DJs, can't really go wrong.

Comment

We've bought tickets to see THE MUPPETS at the O2 in July.

THE MUPPETS!!! I think I might pop with excitement!

Comment

I've got a ticket for the Psychedelic Furs on St Patrick's day. I cannot wait.

Comment

Fontaines DC tonight,crowd will probably be affected by the snow but they always play a good show

Comment

Luke Haines is doing a one-off at the Lexington in May for £22, if anyone's interested. I'm not going, I don't think.

Comment

Wreckless Eric is doing a UK tour of small pub and club venues around May time. We've got tickets for Gullivers in Manchester May 9.

Comment

I’ve been invited to see young punk band Sisteray at Dingwalls on Friday. By one of their Dads, who is a C86er. Not sure yet.

Comment

Pension plan not paid in full? Erik B & Rakim seem to need some extra income. ;-)

Comment

Kiefer Sutherland tour dates just announced. Wow, who knew?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X