No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm definitely going at some point, will be there in the afternoon, hope to stay late but not been feeling great lately. Will message you my number.

Comment

Saw the Proclaimers last night. Very good, all the standards were belted out. Not a lot of banter though from the Reid boys which was disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
        I decided against The The, but thanks to those who recommended.

I am however delighted to be going to see Teenage Fanclub next February - second time in as many years. If they're anywhere near as good as last time it will be great.
        Well they've announced that bass player Gerry Love is leaving before the tour starts next year so there goes 1/3 of the songwriting team. It also isn't clear who will replace him and whether they will be playing his songs - but I can't imagine a Fannies gig without "Starsign", "Sparky's Dream", "Radio", "Don't Look Back", "Ain't That Enough", "I Need Direction" etc.

I was selfishly grateful for the recent Glasgow Art School fire because it meant that their sold-out O2 set of 3 gigs (The Creation Years) was moved to Barrowland - I promptly grabbed a couple of season tickets for all 3 nights.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
          If you and/or MsD go and fancy meeting up, tip me the nod.
          Will do - there's a running order for the bands here. Dog show too, apparently!

Comment

Originally posted by Guff Daddy View Post
            Well they've announced that bass player Gerry Love is leaving before the tour starts next year so there goes 1/3 of the songwriting team. It also isn't clear who will replace him and whether they will be playing his songs - but I can't imagine a Fannies gig without "Starsign", "Sparky's Dream", "Radio", "Don't Look Back", "Ain't That Enough", "I Need Direction" etc.

I was selfishly grateful for the recent Glasgow Art School fire because it meant that their sold-out O2 set of 3 gigs (The Creation Years) was moved to Barrowland - I promptly grabbed a couple of season tickets for all 3 nights.
            Oh no. Half my favourite TF songs, right there.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
              Saw the Proclaimers last night. Very good, all the standards were belted out. Not a lot of banter though from the Reid boys which was disappointing.
              Haha...I saw them maybe 22...23 years ago, and it was exactly the same. I don't even know if they bothered with 'good evening'.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Haha...I saw them maybe 22...23 years ago, and it was exactly the same. I don't even know if they bothered with 'good evening'.
                Saw them first 30 odd years ago in Aberdeen and don't recall them being like this, but maybe they were. That's Hibs fans fit you though...

Comment

They make Van Morrison look like a hired wedding MC.

Comment

Even so, they are still only the second least welcoming set of Reid brothers in pop.

Comment

Clerkenwell cancelled, although the after party is still going ahead. May be very busy, though. Hope to see you both there.

Comment

That's a shame - the weather forecast does indeed look pretty crappy though.

Comment

Just woke up and it looks pretty grim out there, also my neighbour is making dinner (yay, community!), doubt I'll be down. Have fun Clerkenwell!

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                            David Byrne supported by Laura Mvula. Simply the best choreographed show I've ever seen
                            Saw the Oxford gig and agree wholeheartedly. Absolutely stunning show from Byrne. Not sure what Mvula was up to, though. Seemed to be making tentative steps at denying her career up to that point in favour of tense, angry 12 inch remixes. If that was ok with everybody.

Comment

Woohoo, Mrs Thistle just landed tickets to go and see Garbage at Ashton Gate in a week's time for just £3 a pop!

Comment

Bargain - the cheapest ticket to see garbage at Ashton Gate on Saturday is £22 in the family enclosure. ker-tish!

Comment

As previously trailed, I went to see The The last night at Newcastle University. It is the worst of the venues on my typical gig circuit, particularly when it is as busy as it was last night. The problems start with the pillars in the (below ground) room, giving the ambience of a multi storey car park, then exacerbated by the placing of the stage in one corner of a long rectangular room, but configured to play across the narrow bit not the long bit, meaning over half the crowd can't get a decent view while the rest cram into the available space in front of the stage. And the bars were rammed, under-staffed, didn't take cards (not a problem for me, but for plenty of others seemingly) and progressively ran out of brands so that by the time I had my one pint I had to have Fosters.

The band sounded great, and tight, and played a varied set drawn quite evenly across his output, meaning only three songs from Infected, which was a slight disappointment.

But marred (no pun) by the venue and the people in the crowd who paid £35 to stand talking loudly to each other, or in some cases stand in a group telling each other stories and bellowing with laughter, during some fairly quiet and reflective songs.

Comment

That sounds a bit shonky, Walt's. I went to Shakespeare's Globe a couple of weeks ago and there were two people whispering to each other on one of the balconies, not realising that the acoustics were carrying it right round the theatre. By the time the penny dropped half the audience were looking daggers at them.

Next gig is Billy Childish at Koko on Thursday. He has been brilliant when I've seen him before, but this will be a first in a venue of that size.

There's an unwelcome fixture pile-up beckoning in November, when New Order have just announced an Alexandra Palace show. That's a must go for me but I've already got tickets for Go-Kart Mozart, DAF, Ladytron (twice), Jane Weaver, and Johnny Marr in the space of a fortnight around it. Something may have to give.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                      But marred (no pun) by the venue and the people in the crowd who paid £35 to stand talking loudly to each other, or in some cases stand in a group telling each other stories and bellowing with laughter, during some fairly quiet and reflective songs.
                                      Fuckers want shooting. Particularly annoying at festivals, I find, when people push in front of you so they can ignore the artists and ruin your experience. I would back a petition introducing Draconian new laws on this. Just STFU.

Comment

I was tempted by Billy Childish, whom I've seen a few times, but am going to Wingco's book launch. Could possibly do both, I guess.

Also have tix for Ladytron and then Killing Joke at the Roundhouse in Nov.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                          I was tempted by Billy Childish, whom I've seen a few times, but am going to Wingco's book launch. Could possibly do both, I guess.
                                          He's on at 9.40 so it's probably doable, but might not be very relaxing.

Comment

Also have tix for Ladytron and then Killing Joke at the Roundhouse in Nov.
                                            I have tix for Ladytron too. My Killing Joke tickets are for Rock City in Nottingham.

Bit of a vain hope this, but is anyone off to the Shacklewell Arms on Sunday (9th) to see Princess Chelsea? I discovered her thanks to this forum, and am travelling down from the Midlands just to catch her as she is doing only two dates in the UK on this tour (new album out Friday too). I'm off on my own to Sunday's gig.

Comment

I just looked her up, as the S Arms is about a mile from my house. Looks interesting, although I'm not going to commit to buying a ticket.

If you're in the area, the Hand of Glory pub is our regular, don't know if anyone's DJing there on Sunday, though.

<checks> No DJs I can see. Also, everyone moans about the drink prices there; the cheaper, popular option is the Rochester Castle (Wetherspoons) on Stoke Newington High St.
                                              Last edited by MsD; 05-09-2018, 14:30.

Comment

I just looked her up, as the S Arms is about a mile from my house. Looks interesting, although I'm not going to commit to buying a ticket.

If you're in the area, the Hand of Glory pub is our regular, don't know if anyone's DJing there on Sunday, though.

<checks> No DJs I can see. Also, everyone moans about the drink prices there; the cheaper, popular option is the Rochester Castle (Wetherspoons) on Stoke Newington High St.
                                                Thanks! I've not been to a gig there before, and don't know the area. Quite looking forward to it - there's something liberating about going to a concert on one's own, and I haven't done so for some time. Of course, going with friends is always a positive when you both know you will enjoy the music. But I look forward to enjoying the music and the occasion, finding a friendly pub and suiting myself!

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                                                  Quite looking forward to it - there's something liberating about going to a concert on one's own, and I haven't done so for some time. Of course, going with friends is always a positive when you both know you will enjoy the music. But I look forward to enjoying the music and the occasion, finding a friendly pub and suiting myself!
                                                  Enjoy! I quite enjoy going by myself to smaller venues. It's a bit depressing going to a big Academy venue or arena alone but at a pub venue where you can wander in and out of the music room as you wish and the crowds are usually friendly it's fine.

Comment

Slightly disappointing set from Billy Childish at Koko last night. When the band were actually playing they were great but the gaps between songs were too protracted and it was hard to hear what he was saying. That kind of looseness definitely works better in a small venue where the interaction feels more personal. I started off downstairs but the best sound and view turned out to be had on the top balcony. Second on the bill, Johnny Moped were terrible. Some people really love them but I just don't get it at all.

New Order tickets now booked so all is well in the world.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X