Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, did you say "I'll take you there"?

Comment

Indeed. It's weird: you hear all these songs as 'standards', and then realize she's not covering them....they're her standards. Or the Staple Singers anyway.

Big week for geriatrics, too. Dolenz is 73. Nez is 75 (and it looks like I might have seen him in the nick of time) and Mavis is 78. Yeesh.

Comment

I went to see The Cavemen again last night. Excellent, raucous fun, and a very sparse audience.

One friend, who's almost my age, declared The Cavemen to be his favourite band, ever. They do inspire fervent adoration amongst a handful of people.

Tricky, flashy (and unnecessary) lights made it necessary for me to stand near the back, but then it was rather lively down the front.

Their bassplayer is playing with his country side-project at the Macbeth in Hoxton on Thursday, I'm down to go to that.

Comment

The The are at Sydney Opera House in October, for A$97 with "handling fee" which is about £55. No-one here is interested in going with me.

Anyone seen them in recent times? I loved Infected and am umm-ing and ahh-ing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            The The are at Sydney Opera House in October, for A$97 with "handling fee" which is about £55. No-one here is interested in going with me.

Anyone seen them in recent times? I loved Infected and am umm-ing and ahh-ing.
            I'm going in early September, but realise you may want to buy your ticket before then.

Comment

My pal saw them in London recently and loved them. He’s a musician and goes to a lot of gigs etc. I will see what he wrote, exactly.

Comment

Dead Elvis etc were better than I expected at the Macbeth last night, btw, but I was dog-tired. Autocorrect suggested “dogging”.

Comment

He went to two gigs, said the second blew the roof off, and he wants them played at his funeral (not soon).

Comment

Thanks both. I'll have a muse.

Comment

Bjork at the Eden Project.

This was a Big Day Out, and you could spend two days at the EP for the price of a ticket. We didn't, but my friends insisted I at least see the Biomes, which were worth sweltering our way through.

Bjork was wonderful, if you love Bjork, and I do. It was a bit disappointing that the show wasn't on the screens to the side of the stage, as I'd have liked to see her face, rather than just her outfit and the fabulous stage set and background graphics. Wonderful sound, though, and as I'm only familiar with a small amount of her work (mostly Sugarcubes to the late 90s), all quite new to me.

I listened to her today and resolved to listen to the new album. She's an interesting, inventive artist with a unique voice.

Comment

I went to Theatre Of Hate on Wednesday. The organisers were at pains to stress that they had to finish by midnight, as the neighbours would complain if it went on any longer.

So they come on at 22:50 hrs., i.e. after the Croatia-England semi-final had long finished. Now, call me a fuddy-duddy, but if you're playing midweek and you know your audience are middle-aged - and they were; I was one of the youngest there, and I'll never see 49 again -, then why not start when you're advertised to start?

And Kirk, much as I love him, fucking phoned it in. He completely fucked the first two numbers. Too early on the chorus to "Americanos"; the chorus to "Original Sin" sounded like he was shouting "Arsenal!" I know he's been ill and that, but fucking hell. I'm not doing that again. I'll try to remember Kirk as it once was, but not from 11th July 2018. One hour and ten minutes of absolute bollocks.
                        Last edited by treibeis; 13-07-2018, 19:43.

Comment

The The is the kind of act that would age well, they're on the softer more melodic end of 80s pop.

Speaking of which, Simple Minds are touring America this Fall, problem is the Charlatans are making their stop on the very same evening. I will have to decide based on the set lists, post-84 Simple Minds are dull. I hope they still see the value of their early work.

Saw Faust last week, great show. It was a minimalist setup anchored by one of the founders (French dude Peron) along with the guitarist from Ulan Bator, Manchion, and an American drummer who did his best to keep up with Jean-Herve's brilliant meanderings. They covered some of their "hits" with crafty minimalist takes that built up and took on lives of their own. Got to chat with Peron for a solid half hour before the show outside the small venue, I've interviewed him the week before for my radio station and got to know him. Gave him some travel tips on the north New England road trip, they're playing Portland, ME then Boston next.

Comment

I went to see former New York Doll Sylvain Sylvain on Sunday evening. It was at The Dublin Castle and sold out so the main thing to report is that it was hot, really, really hot. The show was a mix of acoustic versions and anecdotes and entertaining enough but after half an hour I left the performance room and just listened to what I could from the slightly cooler front bar. There were lots of Dolls-y, glam trash types there, many of whom were so skinny that they didn't seem fazed by wearing three layers of clothing plus scarves, hats, etc in the near 30 degree temperatures outside. I should have taken a cue from the summer of '76 and not eaten between then and now to be heat ready when the moment came round again.

Comment

DJ set by Jerry Dammers last night. Disappointing crowd but it's hard to get people out on a Thursday (I wouldn't have been there if I was working today), anyway he played a great set and yes he finished with the father Ted Irish national anthem! Great night

Comment

British Sea Power at Preston Guild Hall last Friday.

Support was DSM IV, fronted by former Eighties Matchbox singer Guy McKnight. He's an arresting presence, sporting a terrific mullet/muzzy combo and roaming the hall during songs, climbing stuff and smashing a light fitting. Musically decent too.

BSP played a longer than usual 1' 45" set, warming up for the Saturday headline slot at Indietracks and giving themselves scope for some extended rockouts, sweaty bear action and even a bit of crowd surfing from frontman Yan. All the usual live favourites had an outing, as well as less frequently heard tracks like Wooden Horse, Apologies to Insect Life and the wonderful True Adventures. As has become a habit, they finished the encore with The Great Skua - now how many other bands crown their show with what is essentially an instrumental? Brilliant, life-affirming stuff.

Comment

Saw two brilliant Mark Morriss (Bluetones front man) concerts recently. The first one, bizarrely enough, was in my mates' conservatory. Mark has this "Pledge Me" arrangement where if you pay him an agreed amount of cash, he will play a concert at an intimate venue of your choice. My mate Rob organised a whip round and before you know it, Mark and his acoustic guitar were belting out tunes in Rob's house to an audience of 40. Great show and great banter from Mark. Then we saw Mark again at a much bigger venue - 200 people- again great concert and great banter.

Comment

Confidence Man at The Scala tonight. They were great, every bit as entertaining as their records and videos might lead you to hope. They don't have a deep bag to dip into and their big tunes are pretty much it, plus instrumentals to allow for costume changes and pad the set out to an hour. Springsteen fans might question the VFM. The show hadn't sold out in advance, as of yesterday, but seemed fairly rammed with lots of friendly people dancing in happily uncool fashion. The Scala was, as ever, a bit of a nightmare, the worst laid out venue of its size that I can think of plus they charge £6 for a can of Red Stripe.
                                    Last edited by Benjm; 09-08-2018, 00:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                      Springsteen fans might question the VFM.
                                      Hah. So, the afternoon of the Springsteen on Broadway show, we're walking around Central Park, and L says "You didn't peek at the setlist did you?" and I said "No, but I know that the show is 2 hours, 15 minutes with no intermission." And she says "Oh, okay. So we're at least getting a good bang for our buck" whereupon I stop walking and say "We should mark this very spot. Right here. Where you said the most ludicrous thing ever. The woman who's seen Springsteen 21 times was concerned she might not get good value for money."

Comment

We bade a fond farewell to a wonderful venue here in Hull last night. Fruit opened up at a time when the area it's situated in was totally derelict, and people had no reason to venture down there, being close to the riverside and across the main A63 from the city centre. Along with a couple of other gamblers, and Mark Page's decision to host the first Humber Street Sesh there in 2012, it's been at the forefront in totally transforming the area, and, yes you've guessed it, gentrification has set in. There are vague plans for redevelopment, but it seems highly unlikely that it will return as a performance space. Fucking developers.

Anyway, we saw the place off in style with a gig from Drenge, a band I didn't know a great deal about, but they were bloody sensational. Support came from local favourites Black Delta Movement, who played their first ever gig at Fruit 8 years ago.

Comment

David Crosby is one of the few rockers I'd like to see in concert, but not for £50! For anyone feeling flush, he's playing a date apiece in Manchester and London, and somewhat more extensively in Norway.

At the other end of the scale, this Great Yarmouth sonic art festival looks great for £5.

Comment

The other day I sprang £30 plus fees for a ticket to see DAF and The Young Gods (plus half a dozen lesser known EBM/electro types) later in the autumn, which seems pretty good value.

In other VFM news, I'm thinking of heading over to the Clerkenwell Festival on Sunday to catch Brix And The Extricated and others for free.

Comment

I may be going to that, too. But may be trying to catch "someone" 's eye, just to explain in case I'm weird or talk to you and look over your shoulder. Apologies in advance. It's a rare opportunity.

That aside, I'd like to go just for Brix and give my full attention, would prefer that really.

There are some big names at Bognor Butlins in January, Echo & TB, Gary Numan, Luke Haines (smaller font). Almost tempting as my sister lives close. One stone, many birds. So VFM.

Comment

Don't worry - most people assume a fairly distracted air after a minute or so in my company if they didn't manage to duck behind a hedge in time. Hope the desired eye is caught (but not taken out, as old time mum-speak had it).

I went to the Bognor thing this year and it was really good fun; the same party have already reserved for 2019. With single occupancy in bedrooms it's less than £100 per head for three night including accommodation. The festival works well as a slightly less niche ATP at a traditionally slow time of year and is definitely worth considering.

Comment

I decided against The The, but thanks to those who recommended.

I am however delighted to be going to see Teenage Fanclub next February - second time in as many years. If they're anywhere near as good as last time it will be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                    In other VFM news, I'm thinking of heading over to the Clerkenwell Festival on Sunday to catch Brix And The Extricated and others for free.
                                                    Well, that's the first I've heard of the Clerkenwell Festival and seeing as it's local I'll try and wander down. If you and/or MsD go and fancy meeting up, tip me the nod.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X