Caring sharing VPL to rent- advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caring sharing VPL to rent- advice?

Ok, as an auld bastard with no kids or nearby young relatives, i've come very late to the downloading game.

When apple announced recently they were shutting itunes, i thought 'here we go again- time to reaccess/pay for your music collection in yet another form...' so have decided to be ready to download the rarer stuff that they will never stream (I've hardly bought any itunes downloads- mainly ripped and digitised my own) and I'm fucked if I'm paying for it again.

So a friendly ex-student advised me to get a VPL (sorry, never tire of that- I guess that's generational, too) and recommended the ebay that's for people with eyepatches that say 'oo-arr' and one that has the same intials as Rock Against Racism (Bulgaria).

The latter works- and I've tested a few things (slow, probably my laptop) but the former was blocked yesterday. The R.A.R. was fine for recent movies (not my bag- I go to the cinema twice a week) but I have searched for a few things musically and come up empty- seems to be dominated by dance compilation albums. Even Beefheart, Mayfield were 0 hits.

So apart from the occasional care n share on here (I've still got the xmas ones from years ago) where does the technophobe older browser go for something more interesting than 50 Eurotrance Hits..?

I don't think there is anything around with a better selection than Soulseek, which I was amazed to find still exists. Not sure if it passes your "technophobe older browser"* criteria, though that might be just because the interface is a bit shit. As long as you use the 'order by availability' and 'order by fastest' bits on the search screen, you should be right.

It's worth delving into if you are, as you say, looking for stuff that is otherwise hard to get hold of.

*edit: I'd add on this front that it is definitely safer than browsing for stuff on the web in terms of potential viruses and whatnot, but yeah, the software itself can be a bit wonky.
    Last edited by beak; 26-01-2018, 11:11.

Comment

Ta very much

Comment

Truly what I was looking for Dogbeak- have already found a replacement for a long lost Blackbyrds cassette

Comment

Working...
        X