Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mark E. Smith

They rode over peasants like you
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Been walking around town to Blindness all weekend. Put a purposeful fuck off stride into perambulations. Devastating is the only word for that vicious bassline. Someone should do a mash-up with Roots Manuva’s Witness the Fitness, which has a very similar apocalyptic bass.

Philosophy?
    Teams
    リーズ・ユナイテッド
    Actor
    Actor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Been walking around town to Blindness all weekend. Put a purposeful fuck off stride into perambulations. Devastating is the only word for that vicious bassline. Someone should do a mash-up with Roots Manuva’s Witness the Fitness, which has a very similar apocalyptic bass.
    From the Fall Online Forum, Q&A with Jim Watts:

Q: Who came up with the bassline for Blindness then? (And are they a Dr Who fan?!).

A: Thought I had mentioned this before?
    Well no I am a pretty big sci-fi fan so I have never really liked Dr Who. Nothing against it just never done anything for me.
    We took a break from Tuff Gong to go for a drink in The Original Wire pub. Pretty much the worst pub in warrington. I remember a cloud of flies buzzing around in there.
    And in the car on the way back we heard witness by Roots Manuva and Spencer got very excited. We were inspired by the groove and I think Spencer started the beat, then Steve came up with the bass and me and Ben came in with our guitar parts.

Then it was put forward to Mark as a demo and he went in to do his vocal sessions and he made it a Fall song. I remember the sessions were pretty much -day one band recording - day two vocals - day three mixing. Or something close to that, wasnt a long recording.

I don't even know how it is credited as by that point I had lost the will to battle over credits. But the above is exactly as I remember it.

Forgot to mention a totally unexpected tribute in the last Private Eye.

Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Cheers Haddock. Funnily enough Roots Manuva has said the bassline on Witness comes from him trying to copy the Dr Who theme but fucking it up.

Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Forgot to mention a totally unexpected tribute in the last Private Eye.
    Can’t imagine that coming from Hislop or Wheen. Maybe they actually hired a new writer? I refuse to believe the pricks who make the jokes have had any new blood since the Blair years.

I'm supposed to be going to a tribute night featuring The Fallen Women all female Fall karaoke band on Sunday. Don't think I'll be picking up the microphone(s)/loud hailer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Can’t imagine that coming from Hislop or Wheen. Maybe they actually hired a new writer? I refuse to believe the pricks who make the jokes have had any new blood since the Blair years.
    It was in the Books section so I'd guess that DJ Taylor wrote it, which makes more sense than Christopher Booker turning out to be a massive Fall fan.