No announcement yet.

Mark E. Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been walking around town to Blindness all weekend. Put a purposeful fuck off stride into perambulations. Devastating is the only word for that vicious bassline. Someone should do a mash-up with Roots Manuva’s Witness the Fitness, which has a very similar apocalyptic bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      Been walking around town to Blindness all weekend. Put a purposeful fuck off stride into perambulations. Devastating is the only word for that vicious bassline. Someone should do a mash-up with Roots Manuva’s Witness the Fitness, which has a very similar apocalyptic bass.
      From the Fall Online Forum, Q&A with Jim Watts:

Q: Who came up with the bassline for Blindness then? (And are they a Dr Who fan?!).

A: Thought I had mentioned this before?
      Well no I am a pretty big sci-fi fan so I have never really liked Dr Who. Nothing against it just never done anything for me.
      We took a break from Tuff Gong to go for a drink in The Original Wire pub. Pretty much the worst pub in warrington. I remember a cloud of flies buzzing around in there.
      And in the car on the way back we heard witness by Roots Manuva and Spencer got very excited. We were inspired by the groove and I think Spencer started the beat, then Steve came up with the bass and me and Ben came in with our guitar parts.

Then it was put forward to Mark as a demo and he went in to do his vocal sessions and he made it a Fall song. I remember the sessions were pretty much -day one band recording - day two vocals - day three mixing. Or something close to that, wasnt a long recording.

I don't even know how it is credited as by that point I had lost the will to battle over credits. But the above is exactly as I remember it.

Comment

Forgot to mention a totally unexpected tribute in the last Private Eye.

Comment

Cheers Haddock. Funnily enough Roots Manuva has said the bassline on Witness comes from him trying to copy the Dr Who theme but fucking it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            Forgot to mention a totally unexpected tribute in the last Private Eye.
            Can’t imagine that coming from Hislop or Wheen. Maybe they actually hired a new writer? I refuse to believe the pricks who make the jokes have had any new blood since the Blair years.

Comment

I'm supposed to be going to a tribute night featuring The Fallen Women all female Fall karaoke band on Sunday. Don't think I'll be picking up the microphone(s)/loud hailer though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                Can’t imagine that coming from Hislop or Wheen. Maybe they actually hired a new writer? I refuse to believe the pricks who make the jokes have had any new blood since the Blair years.
                It was in the Books section so I'd guess that DJ Taylor wrote it, which makes more sense than Christopher Booker turning out to be a massive Fall fan.

Comment

Coming late to this. Huge fan here. I even help run a website devoted very nerdily to stats and interviews and all kinds of other stuff connected with the gruppe:

https://sites.google.com/site/reformationposttpm/Home

Comment

Thanks for that, Sporting. I've just found out I was in the audience at two live albums.

Comment

No mention of The Fall's gig at the Morning Star's 50th anniversary bash at Alexandra Palace on the 15th of June, 1980?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                        No mention of The Fall's gig at the Morning Star's 50th anniversary bash at Alexandra Palace on the 15th of June, 1980?
                        Not documented anywhere as far as I know. Were you there?

Comment

'Appen I was.

Comment

And it looks like I may have remembered something that didn't happen...

Comment

Come again?

Comment

Convinced that they were on. Age and alcohol are bad for the memory...

Comment

Good line up otherwise though.

Comment

Aye, fair scunnered by JCC being a transphobic arsewipe but.

Comment

Is he? What has he said?

Edit: Okay - I'm there now. Very disappointing indeed.
                                      Last edited by Jah Womble; 30-08-2018, 17:55.

Comment

What has JCC said?

Comment

Has a poem transvestite, another called Crossing the Floor. Nasty shite, the build up maybe even more than the poems. Fucking Graham Linehan levels of bollocks.

Comment

We were talking about shit support acts on the Mundane Thread, so I recalled the time I had the misfortune to catch JCC supporting The Fall about ten years ago:-

"I never liked his schtick anyway, and always try to time arrival at Fall concerts to miss the support, but they were one tardy band and very often it didn't work. So I'm hoping that JCC will hurry up and bugger off then he starts coming out with this bilge and me and my friend J are looking at each other with what the fuck faces. This was before I'd accepted I was trans but the hate was really disconcerting. The Fall were good though. Eventually...

But when JCC went off it was something else, I hadn't really experienced anything like it. Whoa, this man really hates! Move towards the entrance a bit. Maybe a trans woman rejected his advances or something, I dunno."

So yep, even worse than fucking Ed Blaney, who I'm convinced must have been MES' drug dealer to have worked with him for so many years. A pretty appropriate performer for a Morning Star gig though, it's the most transphobic daily paper in Britain.
                                            Last edited by delicatemoth; 31-08-2018, 15:32.

Comment

Mark E Chips...

Comment

Chip Priest?

Comment

One year ago.

I'll be playing Fall music as much as I can today, wfh.

Comment

I finished reading Simon Wolstencroft's book yesterday. It's a slighter tome than Steve Hanley's but engaging and entertaining enough. He offers a balanced account of MES and a sense that they were friends beyond the employer/employee relationship. It's also a good companion to Johnny Marr's memoir as a wider account of the early '80s Manchester scene.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X