Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark E. Smith

RIP

Yep. Not totally unexpected but still premature.

Lots of my friends are huge fans. I wouldn't go that far personally, but undoubtedly he made a massive contribution to music. Condolences to all who loved him and/or his work.

Comment

Genius, pure and simple. Their 80s - 90s streak stands comparison with anyone's.

I would have gone for There's A Ghost In His House.

Comment

Ach flip. RIP ME Smith-ah.

Comment

Because of this, I have knowingly just heard my second Fall tune, and it was thanks to Frankie Boyle.

Comment

Ahhhhh fuck. And never got a chance to see them.

Comment

Bloody hell. Thoughts are with his family, and treibeis, at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                Genius, pure and simple. Their 80s - 90s streak stands comparison with anyone's.

I'm never good with those pun titles.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                    Because of this, I have knowingly just heard my second Fall tune, and it was thanks to Frankie Boyle.

Best track he made in the 90s. Would have paid to have him re-record it with Nile Rogers and “Chic”. Sound of the Summer-ah!

Comment

I am Damo Suzuki/Jerusalem/Gross Chapel — British Grenadiers/Winter will be on repeat play tonight. A horrible bastard, but a stone genius for at least a ten year stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                        You're right not to be; just force of habit, although I suppose MES wouldn't want people to be too precious.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

I was going to go with Fallen but demurred from starting the thread as I wasn’t a huge fan.

Comment

Ah shite. Wouldn’t rank myself a huge Fall fan but they have so many songs that I have about 30-40 I still listen to fairly regularly. Definitely was on the bucket list to see live. Gutted.

Comment

I wasn't a huge fan either, but I acknowledge their influence.

I was about to put an opinion about the man himself in there, but it's not worth the argument, is it?

Comment

I was just reading his famous interview with WSC the other day. It's a miracle that someone could live so long apparently on speed and lager alone (judging by the accounts of his ex-band mates in The Fallen). Then you expected him to last forever. Rarely less than deviantly poetic whenever he opened his mouth, either to speak or sing. A brilliant, weird and fucked up kind of genius. Bollocks to death.

Comment

Like most, not a devotee but they've always been in the fabric of growing up as a fan of any sort of indie/alternative music in the UK. I was listening to Stewart Lee's Quietus Hour episode at the weekend and he made the point about your attitude for The Fall changing over time and how much you are listening and paying attention to them says more about your life at that particular time than it does about them.

For the scoreboard, saw them twice, many years apart and caught them on good nights each time. I Am Kurious, Oranj remains one of the greatest things in my CD collection and I've held on to it through countless clear-outs (having previously had it on cassette til it got stolen by a burglar with evident taste).

RIP-uh.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                    I wasn't a huge fan either, but I acknowledge their influence.

I was about to put an opinion about the man himself in there, but it's not worth the argument, is it?
                                    This.

Comment

I love ‘Hit The North’ and ‘Free Range’. MES interviews in The NME were always brilliant, but I always got the impression he wasn’t the easiest of people to get on with. He came across as a curmudeingly Shane Macgowan.
                                      But he really was one of the last real characters in music. RIP, MES.

Comment

The last year or so has made this seem inevitable. But that makes it no easier. Upset and gutted.

Comment

Bollocks. I am a huge fan of MES and The Fall, in all of their glorious and various line-ups. I have always avidly awaited any new releases, and there's been enough of them, whether new stuff or compilations, over the years. I have seen him/them many times over years (I can recall at least 12 times), some glorious, some not so good. Never been one to have 'heroes' as such, but I am genuinely upset at this news. As MsD said, not entirely unexpected I suppose, but still shit. I have 95% of their music on my phone, The Fall playlist will be on shuffle for many days now as I drive to and from work. RIP MES.

'Always different, always the same'

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                            'Dead-ah' would have done it.

Comment

Bucket Kicker Conspiracy?

Comment

Not unexpected but still gut wrenching news all the same. Saw them quite a few times and when they were good they were fucking excellent. RIP and thanks for some great memories and songs.

Comment

I did not expect the collective OTF reaction to this most horrible of news to be "not really a fan but..."

I always assumed this board rode hard for MES but I guess DaVoid was the only true hardcore Fall fan here. And he's probably not here anymore either.

Anyway, MES was the fucking best you philistines.
                                                  Last edited by Soccer Scrimmage; 24-01-2018, 22:07.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X