The Shape of Water
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Best visual effects
    Blade Runner 2049
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
    Kong: Skull Island
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    War for the Planet of the Apes

I always make an effort to watch the nominations for Best Picture. So far I've only seen three of them

- Dunkirk is a good film, but its Ra Ra Ra English Patriotism, aren't we stoic with tea and jam sandwiches in the face of terror, aren't our men in their little boats so brave, isn't the sound of a Rolls Royce Merlin in a Spitfire the most inspiring sound, bringin warmth to your heart, all that stuff, begins to make my stomach turn. In the context of the year it looks almost like Boris Johnson Brexit Propaganda. It's the Little England that the Brexiters are harking back to.

- Get Out has been written about here already. Very good, although a bit Stepford Wivesy. I think it would be better yet if I understood half of the subtle race references.

- The Shape Of Water I expected to dislike. I've never much enjoyed Del Toro's work, and the descriptions of the film didn't help. It turns out that it's actually very, very good. It's got some annoying Golden Age Hollywood Nostalgia self-indulgence, and is a little slow in places. But the film is actually pretty brilliant. It's different and fascinating and beautiful to look at. It may be Desplat's score, but more than anything it makes me think of Amelie in its charm and warmth.

Of the remaining 6, I'm obviously going to enjoy watching The Post (despite it having Meryl in it), Three Billboards and Lady Bird.

But the others just seem designed to annoy. From the description, Call Me By Your Name could have been a late-era Woody Allen film (Academic in romantic foreign location gets pursued and has relationship with much younger, underage admirer) if Timothy Chalumet had been a woman instead of a man. And The Darkest Hour just sounds like very tiresome Churchill hagiograpy. And then there's a Paul Thomas Anderson film set in 1950s London starring Daniel Day Lewis - which already gives it 4 check marks against it.

Comment

My predictions, having seen none of these films (yet):

Best picture
      Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best actor
      Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out

Best actress
      Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best supporting actress
      Allison Janney, I, Tonya

Best supporting actor
      Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best director
      Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird

Comment

Irish media making a show of themselves claiming Martin Mc Donagh and even more embarrassing Daniel Day-Lewis as Irish

Comment

Ah. Always thought C Day Lewis went to Ireland for the Haughey Artistic Tax Avoidance rather than him being Anglo Irish then settling in London. Should have realized poets make no fuckin money. And poet laureates would be shot avoiding tax on Bally Ireland. The way the Irish papers go on I was sure D Day Lewis at least spent some of his childhood in Ireland, rather than being from Lunnon. He’s actually less Irish than fuckin Rod Stewart is Scottish. Fucking hell.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-01-2018, 00:52.

Comment

Most of these films haven't arrived - if they ever will - in our local cinemas.

I really liked Dunkirk. It really was a remarkable escape and its use as propaganda by the right doesn't change that. It's a remarkable film regardless.

I suspect that Winston Churchill one will do more for their cause anyway, even though it was the rest of his own conservative party that was conciliatory toward Hitler and Churchill is on the wrong side of history on a great many things other than Hitler. I haven't seen that and not sure I will. Haven't there been enough Winston Churchill films? I feel like I've seen five or six.

Surprised to see Mudbound on the list. I heard it's excellent, but thought it was just a Netflix thing. Perhaps we'll see a lot more artsy movies like that doing the minimum in the theaters to get nominations and then going direct to streaming.
            Haven't seen it yet, though. Looks really gutwrenching. Life is gutwrenching enough as is.

I loved Lady Bird and The Post. The latter is so Oscary that it hurts, but I still really liked it, especially all the scenes in the Newsroom. I wish I'd had a chance to work in a place like that and yell "COPY" etc.

It is a great film for lots of reasons. Its essentially an All The Presidents Men prequel.
            But it shouldn't win. Publishing the Pentagon Papers was a public service, and the risks taken by those involved, especially Ellsberg, should not be minimized. But ultimately, they're all a bunch of rich white people and they were risking far less than what so many journalists risk every day on this planet. Giving it the Oscar would come off as another bit of tone-deaf Hollywood self-congratulations. The speeches would be soooo smug.

Lady Bird makes me want to be nicer to all people. Probably the best movie about teenagers since The Breakfast Club, which should have been nominated for an Oscar.

Really want to see the Shape of Water.

The rest don't really look all that appealing to me, but I may see them if I can.

Comment

#metoo is going to dominate the Oscars. That's why I think Three Billboards... will win big, and why Greta Gerwig will win best director. There'll be a reaction if Gerwig doesn't win. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to -- Ladybird has been very well received -- but for her not to win would be a statement Hollywood can't dare to make.

Comment

Perhaps we'll see a lot more artsy movies like that doing the minimum in the theaters to get nominations and then going direct to streaming.
                Netflix and Amazon have always done this with films they think are in with a chance for a nomination.

Comment

I didn’t know that

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I really liked Dunkirk. It really was a remarkable escape and its use as propaganda by the right doesn't change that. It's a remarkable film regardless.
                    I agree, it's an astounding movie and the message of it is decidedly not Brexity to me, however much people may pin that flag to it. I am unsure about seeing 'Darkest Hour' because that does look like a bit of a Brexit flick.

I've seen the trailer for 'Lady Bird' twice now and it sets my teeth on edge, looks like insufferably portentous, indie-schmindie by numbers.

Did anyone actually watch the nominations live? I stumbled across them and they were a complete carcrash. Andy Serkis tried his best but his co-host could barely pronounce any of the film or nominee's names (including not knowing how to say 'Missouri') and ended up calling the star of 'Get Out' "Daniel Hallejulah" and other such insulting shit.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-01-2018, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      I didn’t know that
                      Apparently it's become something of a bone of contention with academy muckety mucks, to the extent that they're talking about changing the rules. Not to normalise streaming distribution, of course. That would be crazy. To ban Netflix and Amazon from entering at all.

More in-depth article here.
                      Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 24-01-2018, 13:41.

Comment

Especially galling given that "Lions of the Academy" (cough, Harvey, cough) have been opening films in a handful NY and LA art houses just before the deadline for yonks.

Streaming allows these films to reach many times the number of people before they are nominated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                          Apparently it's become something of a bone of contention with academy muckety mucks, to the extent that they're talking about changing the rules. Not to normalise streaming distribution, of course. That would be crazy. To ban Netflix and Amazon from entering at all.

More in-depth article here.
                          That’s idiotic.

Comment

Regardless of awards, I wish Netflix films had a proper cinema release though. Watching films at home is just not the same.

Comment

You're right. It's much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                Regardless of awards, I wish Netflix films had a proper cinema release though. Watching films at home is just not the same.
                                Mudbound did have a theatrical release, didn't it? But maybe it only played in LA. The Big Sick was made by Amazon and that went in theaters first.

Loved Three Billboards. Sam Rockwell should win Best Supporting Actor.

Very happy, but not at all surprised, to see Coco nominated. A beautiful film.

Comment

I'm disappointed that The Death of Stalin hasn't been nominated for anything. Easily the best film I saw last year. Lady Bird and I, Tonya look like they're worth going to see though.

Comment

It hasn't had a US release yet (not a normal one, anyway - it's possible they did the Oscar week thing, but I haven't heard that).

Comment

I've seen the trailer for 'Lady Bird' twice now and it sets my teeth on edge, looks like insufferably portentous, indie-schmindie by numbers.
                                      That's a needlessly cynical take on it.

Comment

Well, it's my genuine reaction to seeing the trailer - which is the only evidence I have to go on regarding the movie thus far.

Comment

It hasn't had a US release yet (not a normal one, anyway - it's possible they did the Oscar week thing, but I haven't heard that).
                                          No, it's had nothing in the US so far and is a March 2018 release for them. It's just been banned in Russia too, predictably.

Comment

You're right. It's much better.
                                            See, I dunno.

We have an excellent set-up here to watch movies, and even though I can pause, and go and do whatever... I don't have that "I paid $10 to see this, I am going to fucking watch it" vibe going. Maybe that's why I haven't watched many recently (time constraints notwithstanding).

Going to the cinema is still an event, no matter how annoying the surroundings might be.

Comment

Oh, and it being nominations week, it means that the academy will be sending out 'screeners'. So the "harbour of the buccaneers" will be awash with duplicates.

Comment

Nominations-wise, I am only seriously interested in one category: Best supporting actress.

I so want Allison Janney to win it, because West Wing and absolutely fucking everything she has ever been in. But, I so want Laurie Metcalf to win it, because Roseanne, and every other thing I have seen her in (shit hot in the theatres apparently). But, it would be really good to see Lesley Manville win it, because, she is Lesley Manville. Alternatively, Octavia Spencer is rather wonderful.

And wouldn't it just piss off those 4, if Mary J Blige who has very good notices) sweeps in and takes it.

Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  I watched it last night - loved it. Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf are excellent. Actually, everyone is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X