Pop songs that could be national anthems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop songs that could be national anthems

If I became the dictator of a newly-founded state and was looking for a rousing national anthem, my first choice would be "Do You Hear The People Sing" from Les Miserables. But I'd probably not get rights clearance.

Alternatively, I'd repurpose Séverine's 1971 Eurovision winner, "Un banc, un arbre, un rue". Take the chorus (which, brazenly, kicks off the song), slow it down a bit and give it the national anthem arrangement. I could win wars with that national anthem.

Which pop song would you repurpose for your national anthem?

Telstar

Comment

Was about to say Telstar...

Comment

Peter and the Test Tube Babies' "The Queen Gives Good Blow Jobs".

Comment

Theme from Benny Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
            If I became the dictator of a newly-founded state and was looking for a rousing national anthem, my first choice would be "Do You Hear The People Sing" from Les Miserables. But I'd probably not get rights clearance.
            You're the dictator of a newly-founded state, what are they going to do about it?

Comment

Yes, that struck me as an 'interesting' default position. Under which circumstances, a people's protest song such as DYHTPS? seems unlikely.

My vote would be for the theme from Suspiria.

Comment

If I was dictator it would be "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. in its entirety.

Among other benefits I would love to see those twats who are always complaining about footballers not singing the anthem moaning that they're not putting enough passion into the yodelling, whistling and scat singing.

Comment

I'm not Scottish, but if I was I'd choose Sunshine on Leith.

As an Englishman I'd go for another song by Scots, Old England by The Waterboys.

And as an adoptive Australian it should be Treaty by Yothu Yindi.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    I'm not Scottish, but if I was I'd choose Sunshine on Leith.

As an Englishman I'd go for another song by Scots, Old England by The Waterboys.

And as an adoptive Australian it should be Treaty by Yothu Yindi.
                    Doesn't John Farnham get a look in these days?

Comment

Er, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        You're the dictator of a newly-founded state, what are they going to do about it?
                        Put up barricades, foment revolution, destroy furniture, make my head of police commit suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                          Er, no.
                          Ha ha. Good answer.

Comment

Letter From America - Proclaimers

Comment

You want something that cuts through the bluster and pomposity, something that everyone knows, something with a positive message that breaks down barriers of discrimination and prejudice... it can only be YMCA, really.

Comment

Will you please stand for the national anthem of the Republic of Threecoloursredland!

Comment

Heroes by David Bowie

And what a boost it would give the Team GB swimmers at the Olympics.

Comment

One Nation Under A Groove.

Comment

Almost everyone I know thinks this should be the national anthem, so any dictator would win himself major brownie points by choosing it

And the same dictator wouldn't need the aggro that Québec represents so, naturellement they'd have their own anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                                        Heroes by David Bowie

And what a boost it would give the Team GB swimmers at the Olympics.
                                        "I, I wish you could swim"

The ones wearing water wings?

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                          Will you please stand for the national anthem of the Republic of Threecoloursredland!

Well, I'd stand up and salute to that!

I'm surprised none of our Irish contingent have suggested Ghost Town yet... I would link to a clip but Channel 4's blocked them all.

Comment

I used to thin the best US anthem would be the Monday Night Football theme - the proper one, not the redneck one - but MNF isn't as important as it used to be.

Comment

can you see this?

Comment

I can on firefox but chrome isn't letting me open youtube links for some weird reason.
                                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 22-01-2018, 18:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  Almost everyone I know thinks this should be the national anthem, so any dictator would win himself major brownie points by choosing it

Oh yes, I can hear that as a national anthem.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X