No announcement yet.

2018 Copa Libertadores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deyverson giving some idea if you sniffed up a Tony Montana-sized mountain near the end of a game.

https://youtu.be/7MUTCCIJmpc

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      If the semi-finalists are two Brazilian and two Argentine clubs don't they fix the semi final draw to ensure just that?
      They don't shuffle the teams. There is a bracket in place so the bracket just plays out. It would be nice if they would shuffle to at least create a chance for different nations.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
        Deyverson giving some idea if you sniffed up a Tony Montana-sized mountain near the end of a game.

https://youtu.be/7MUTCCIJmpc
        Yep. What a fucking twat.

Comment

First matches for all four quarterfinals have finished. Independiente-River finished 0-0 and seems to be the only tie up for grabs. Realistically they're all up for grabs but I can't see Tucuman or Colo Colo coming back on the road. And Boca's late goal probably finished off Cruzeiro given how good Boca has been since their very narrow qualification into the knockout.

Since there was never a 2018 Sudamericana thread, I'll just add that there are a lot of Colombian and Brazilian sides still hanging around in that competition. Those numbers will shrink since Santa Fe-Millionarios (0-0 in leg 1) are facing each other and so are Bahia-Botafogo (I'm only 60 minutes into this one and Bahia just scored a second goal from a corner to go up 2-0).

Comment

Worth mentioning the controversial VAR sending off of Cruzeiro's Dedé when the score was just 1-0. It looked very much like an accidental, though very painful, collision to me. I suppose it could have been interpreted as a reckless and dangerous challenge but there certainly wasn't any intent on Dedé's part.

Another VAR decision, this one perfectly correct, helped Gręmio to a 2-0 win at Tucumán when Núnez was red-carded after stamping on Alisson's back. Alisson had already scored the first and newly-capped Everton doubled the lead in the second half.

Palmeiras maintained their 100% away record with a 2-0 win at Colo Colo and for obscure fact fans became the first ever team to win matches in six different countries in the Libertadores. It raises the terrible prospect of Felipăo winning a treble this season as they still have an outside chance of winning the Brasileirăo and the Copa do Brasil. I've already noted some of the various unpleasant characters in the team and Felipe Melo enhanced his reputation as a pantomime villain by dedicating his equaliser at Bahia on Sunday to presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro.

As for the four Brazilian teams left in the Sudamericana, probably the strongest are Atlético Paranaense who have been on a storming run in the league since the World Cup break and have a 2-0 away lead against Caracas. Bahia have had their moments this season but may struggle in the second leg against an admittedly poor Botafogo team and Fluminense, despite their 2-0 win at Deportivo Cuenca, have been struggling in the absence of the injured Pedro.

Comment

I think Big Phil's recent history of playing too defensively will bite the side. I picked Palmeiras as a favorite when the tournament began, which was certainly not a bold pick given the team's depth. But I don't trust Big Phil to take advantage of the talent and expect Boca to do the business (I'm a bit torn because I really can't stand him as a coach, but I don't like Boca at all either). I found the Palmeiras side fun to watch prior to the WC when I had time to watch both the state championship and the first few rounds of the league, so I guess I'd probably rather see them advance but then lose in the final. (BTW, all of this assume Cruzeiro and Colo Colo won't come back--I guess Cruzeiro could come back of Boca decides to play like La U in the group stage but Colo Colo has progressed well beyond their skill level).

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                Yep. What a fucking twat.
                Deyverson at it again against Sport yesterday.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZRo3NPPdVQ

Comment

At the beginning of the season I thought Palmeiras would win it all. At this point I can't see them getting 3 goals and holding Boca to none. So, it looks like we're set for a River-Boca final. I expect that should get some attention among football fans who tend not to pay attention to the Libertadores.

@cantagalo: I've been meaning to scan an excerpt from a piece about Tite from this past summer's Blizzard. I don't know if you sub to the Blizzard (hence the reason I've been meaning to scan), but there's an interesting paragraph about a rise of young Brazilian coaches. I'll be curious to hear from you if any of them are still in the same job since the piece was written (probably finished a few months+ before the publication date) and how many are still coaching in the top flight in Brazil. I'll try to scan that section on Thursday.

Comment

I take it the only way to see the final is via a stream?

Comment

I assume most folks coming to this thread know by now that we'll see the first superclasico between River and Boca played as a Libertadores final. It should be exciting. Personally, I really prefer not to see teams from the same nation play in any continental club competition but this should be interesting if both teams play (i.e., aren't afraid to lose).

Originally posted by torres View Post
                      I take it the only way to see the final is via a stream?
                      I don't know the broadcast rights in the UK. I know Premier Sports had rights a year or two back but don't know if they bothered to re-up. There will be a legal stream through Fanatiz. I think they do a free trial so it might be worth waiting but that free trial is only days, not weeks and the two legs have a week or two in between. Quality is excellent from Fanatiz if you have a Roku or Amazon Fire Device (TV) or you can watch on-line. Fanatiz also has rights to the Sudamericana, Argentina Superliga, Chilean League, and Bolivar home games. Then in some countries you can also get Peruvian league and Mexican league. The problem with Libertadores and Sudamericana is the rights are 24 hours only. But there are other options if you want to watch live and prefer English commentary, Bra Portuguese commentary, or something else. Fanatiz is all Latin American Spanish.

Comment

Thanks for that. Not bothered about commentary as long as I can see the game.

Comment

Fanatiz might be the way to go. Perhaps sign up for a free test and then cancel. The good thing about Fanatiz is a 24 hour on-demand window for Libertadores.

I finally got around to scanning that bit from The Baffler. @Cantagalo: What are your thoughts about these coaches?

Most uses of "he" are in reference to Tite.

Comment

Just seen this for those who wish to watch the game in the UK:

https://twitter.com/FreeSportsUK/status/1060479767613444096

Comment

BT Sport are streaming the final at 8pm tomorrow.

Comment

It's pissing down in BA and there are doubts whether the first leg can go ahead today as planned.

Comment

It's been cancelled until tomorrow night.

Comment

Can't find a channel showing this in the US. Any ideas?

Comment

Do you have access to Fox Deportes? There aren't any English-language networks carrying it here, stupidly.

If not, then someone might have some luck if they put "soccerstreams" and "reddit" into a search engine and did some looking around. Or so I've heard.

Comment

Got that. Thanks Inca.

Comment

1-0 Boca. Keeper could have done better.

Comment

That escalated quickly.

Comment

1-1 literally ten seconds later!

Comment

Wow! Two goals in a minute!

Ábila for Boca and Lucas Pratto equalises for River.

River the better team so far.

Comment

Sprang into life. That's about as straight from a kick off as you could see.

Comment

What a cracking header.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X