The Weakest Pair of Finalists since 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Weakest Pair of Finalists since 1945

Obviously we have to allow for improvements in fitness but I think it might be a toss-up between 1986 and 1990, weighting Argentina's decline between the two tournaments against West Germany's improvements. Italy and France in 2006 could be very dull but were undoubtedly solid, as were Brazil and Italy in 1994.

If it's down to which teams supplied the lowest entertainment, as in no great matches in either team's run, I'm not sure; maybe 1998 was a bit dull in that respect because France and Brazil were destined for the final from quite early on. No real suspense until Ronaldo's meltdown.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-01-2018, 00:31.

1986 is a contender. The best sides that year were Brazil and France. Even Germans don't rate that West-German side much, even if it featured a few world class players. West Germany's 1990 side was fantastic; bad as Argentina were, there was no pair of weak sides.

1994 was pretty dire. Italy smuggled themselves into the final, and for all the talent of Romario and Bebeto, Brazil were a side of technocrats.

France 1998 was a wonderful side.

I think a good case can be made for 2002. That German side was awful, and Brazil won their games in unspectacular style.

Comment

Working...
    X