No announcement yet.

Hatfield of Sorrow? Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a physical specimen, Paul Pogba is soft as.

Comment

And a right dirty fucker too

Comment

I understand why Mourinho wants Sanchez. He’s nothing without buying the best players and hoping that they take an opportunity.

Comment

Well I played rugby and lost 19-12 in an absolute mud bath. It rained through most of the game and even though we lost, it was a great game of rugby, one of those days to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
            The name rung a bell, and on checking he was indeed at Cambridge last season. That I had to look up to confirm should tell you everything about that spell; anodyne and anonymous. He came from Charlton with a decent amount of positive talk as a talented kid, but quickly drifted out of the team and then the club. However Wimbledon have had success with underwhelming ex-Cambridge forward recently (T Elliott) so maybe...
            Dream debut really, came in in the 73rd minute with the Dons 1-0 lead coming under pressure and scored in the 77th with what might have been his first touch for the club and was definitely his first shot. Then held the ball up well to see out the remainder of the game, he was awarded man of the match which was a bit of a sentimental vote as Liam Trotter deserved it for his goal, assist, all round performance and the improvement he has made in recent weeks.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-01-2018, 20:03.

Comment

Rotherham 1-0 Portsmouth

Aston Villa were charging my cut off price of £30 and I knew* we were going to lose anyway so I took my youngest to watch one of his 'other' teams.

After an even first half Rotherham dominated the second and only desperate Portsmouth defending kept it 0-0. Then in injury time the Millers finally got the goal they deserved from a good cross and header, ensuring a miserable trip home for my ten year old.

*For the first season in my life I have perfected the art of knowing which away games we are going to do well in. In the four Barnsley aways I've been to, I've seen three wins and a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
                If you score more than one goal the you should be fine. We're developing a worrying trend of needing to create about twelve chances to get a single goal.
                Well your reverse psychology worked well today with Doncaster scoring 2 goals from 1 chance. Shrewsbury dominated the first half but only scored 1. Second half they doubled their lead only to just die on their feet after an hour. The West Ham game catching up with them was everyone's conclusion. Doncaster changed their shape at half time and added more pace. They scrambled 1 goal then were awarded a second that may or may not have been caught behind the goal line by the usually dependable Dean Henderson. By the end Shrewsbury were hanging on for the point and just about managed to.

There was a nice standing ovation on the 59th minute for Cyrille Regis although I would have preferred a minute's silence at the start.

Comment

They had a minutes applause before kick off at Rotherham today but messed it up.

The announcer said a few sentences about Regis and then everyone started applauding. After a few seconds though, the announcer started talking over the applause about Rodney Fern and the other ex player who died this week.

It was Barnsley match day experience levels of wrong.

Comment

In the days before the FA Cup had a settled final venue, two grounds in Manchester hosted the match. One, Old Trafford, is now well known around the world, whilst the other is now largely forgotten. Fallowfield Stadium held the 1893 Cup final ((Everton 0-1 Wolves), attracting a crowd of 45000, despite a capacity around a third of that. It also hosted rugby, holding the last Calcutta match in England played outside of London, a couple of years before the schism, and a few years later hosting a couple of rugby league Challenge Cup finals. However cycling was the main use for the stadium, most notably for the 1934 Empire Games (otherwise hosted by London). In the 1960s the stadium was bought by the University of Manchester and eventually demolished in 1994. Today the site is occupied by a hall of residence.

I spent the afternoon a couple of long kicks from the site of Fallowfield, at the Armitage Centre, which is one of the current sites of the University's sporting facilities. A large part of the site is occupied by half a dozen artificial pitches, mostly being used for,hockey, but my match was on grass, and survived the weather unlike a number of others in the area.

Old Boltonians entered this game top of the Lancashire Amateur League, but fell behind early against hosts Old Mancunians. This goal came from the penalty spot, awarded after a foul by one of the visiting defenders, trying to make up for mispassing a clearance to the feet of a home forward. Following the goal there was a lengthy delay, involving discussion between officials and both management teams. Eventually it transpired that the referee was unwell, and so he went home early, being replaced by one of his assistants.

Boltonians were poor for much of the first half but better in the second. Mancunians dropped back deeper and deeper, and it seemed inevitable that there would be an equaliser. However as time ticked by it just wouldn't come, until deep in injury time a cross found a Boltonians player unmarked on the edge of the penalty area and he was able to send it into the goal, much to the despair of the home side.

Comment

Charlton 3 - Walsall 1

More enjoyable game than I anticipated but crappy weather. Charlton deserved their win and looked fairly handy, but Walsall made a good game of it, particularly in the second half with Tyler and Liam Roberts both playing particularly well. Liked The Valley as a stadium too.

Only thing to add is that a certain proportion of Walsall fans really, really like a moan. Ironic chants ("we've got the ball!") at 0-0, general anti-Whitney constant groupthink and moaning. I think if you were to ask most supporters where Walsall's natural league position is it'd average out to roughly where they are at present. Magazines were predicting them as strong possibilities for relegation at the start of the season. Yeah, they're only a few points away from that but some people need to get a bit of perspective. Of course, you can always find teams of similar size that are doing better ("Why can't we do what Shrewsbury are doing?") but there seems to me probably more teams of roughly Walsall's size or bigger that are doing considerably worse in the league structure (Tranmere, Stockport, Coventry, Grimsby, Chesterfield etc)...

Comment

Zilina 2 Banik Ostrava 0. For the first 30 minutes, this didn't feel like a friendly. Both teams looked keen and full of pace, and Zilina scored a superbly-worked goal. Then the game slowed down and later, with the usual wholesale substitutions, fell apart completely.

Banik brought 200+ fans with them, the sort of away turnout you almost never see in Slovak league matches. Just for a while, I was questioning the wisdom of free entry, of only opening one stand, and not having formal segregation. It turned out all right though, other than one dickhead throwing a flare onto the 4G surface. That was kicked away and extinguished before it could start burning a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                          Don't do it, Burnham is a terrible place to watch football. That said the train ride out there is good fun and the town is wonderful down by the waterfront. But the football ground, tick it off and don't go there again.
                          Didn't go in the end, SRA. Stev9e wanted me to take her to Beckton retail park. Clapton won 0-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            The West Ham game catching up with them was everyone's conclusion.
                            Which ignores the very real problem of Shrewsbury failing to score more than once while dominating for 45 minutes. It should have been a Bristol Rovers situation, but never mind, it's hard to be critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              ...the Elliot/Akinfenwa mould.
                              I'd of thought Akinfenwa broke the mould.

Comment

Went to Skelmersdale this afternoon and stood in the rain to watch Burscough Dynamo v Liverpool Marshalls Feds in the semi final of the Liverpool Womens Cup. Feds are near the top of Northern Division One (fourth tier) whilst Burscough are bottom of North West Division One North (sixth tier), so I expected a one sided match. That was exactly what I got - it was 3-0 after fifteen minutes, 5-0 at half time and 13-0 by the end. As I was leaving the Feds keeper ran past me to get into the dry - it would have made little difference if she had stayed inside for the whole second half.

Had I wanted to I could have stayed on to watch the under 21 game between Southport and Burscough, but as I couldn't feel my fingers I decided to go home instead.

Comment

Cardiff Devils 4-1 Fife Flyers

It’s been a couple of years since I was in Cardiff, and on walking into the pub up the road from the Ice Arena Wales I was greeted by a couple of women having a robust argument with two police officers, which included the phrase “Well arrest me then if you want, but I’ve got two young kids in there...”

Ah Cardiff, how I’ve missed you.

Anyway - first visit to the Devils’ new home and what an excellent venue it is - the benefits of building a venue with hockey in mind, rather than squeezing it into a public rink as an afterthought, I guess. Good facilities, great sight lines, comfortable seats - top notch.

Devils began well, going 2-0 up in the first period as Fife passed up a couple of half decent chances themselves. The visitors pulled one back in the second period, but fell further behind in the third, with Cardiff scoring a fourth to put matters beyond doubt, despite a long video review of a Flyers goal that was eventually ruled out, just as most people were beginning to give the officials a slow hand clap.

So Cardiff stay top of the EIHL, and Fife have a fuck of a long bus trip home. Game was very close to a sell out crowd too, which was pleasing.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
                                    Only thing to add is that a certain proportion of Walsall fans really, really like a moan.
                                    Have you ever been to Walsall? The moany fans represent the top 3% of the population for positivity and optimism just by dint of having got themselves up and onto the bus, rather than staying safely within the borough limits and saying, 'Shit, ay it,' about something there.

Comment

About five years ago a tournament was held in memory of a rugby player. Six sides were invited but on the day only four turned up due to heavy snow. The tournament was played anyway and everyone had such a good time the Snowflake Cup came into being before it became a term of abuse. Last year it was a round robin tournament, this year it was a straight game between two old boys sides which we on 19-17. About a hour before kick off it started to snow and rather appropriately the snowflake cup was played in snow. We agreed to have a break every 20 minutes to change the sides round but after 60 minutes we abandoned the game because I had lost contact with m fingers and toes. So had all the players, the subs, the referee and linesman and most off the crowd had long since departed for the warmth of the clubhouse. In the showers I wanted to scream such was the pain in my fingers as they warmed up. We had a curry and raffle and raised lots of money for charity but I was cold.

It just shows what you can do for charity when you try. I was cold, wet and shivering but we still played. It's not often I have a cup of tea after a game rather than a pint but today was one of them. Brrrr......

Comment

Bath City 2 Concorde Rangers 0

The first goals we have seen at Twerton Park since 11th November and the first home win in 5 games. Cult hero Ross Stearn is back on loan from Sutton United and has defied expectations (from me mainly) by scoring last week and by being instrumental in today's midfield. We also have two young lads on loan until the end of the season - Tom Smith from Swindon and James Morton from Bristol City - who were also excellent in midfield; Morton getting deserved MOTM. With our defence being generally excellent, especially our excellent keeper Luke Southwood who has to be future EPL material, we aren't having too many problems at the back and midfield seems to be shaping up but we still have been shot-weary upfront. Yesterday saw much more shooting on sight and Jack Compton's goal was an a great run finished by a lovely shot.

The celebrations after suggest some rancour between Compton anf the Concorde bench but I know not what. The two managers squared up to each other after and there was some trouble in the tunnel apparently. I have to say that Concorde Rangers were yet another team who have come down who were good value as well. Sometimes, we make teams look better than they are but I thought they deserve to be higher than their league position. Nice concept for their kit as well if not quite as well executed.
                                        Last edited by Bored Of Education; 22-01-2018, 18:19.

Comment

Went to The Hive for Barnet v Lincoln, along with over 1,800 City fans. Played like shit for the first half, couldn't handle Akinde at all and Barnet easily bypassed our midfield. Big call from DC subbing Luke Waterfall at half time and replacing him with new signing James Wilson. Instant impact though, as Wilson headed our equaliser and looked really comfortable on the ball and dealt with Barnet's aerial threat. City improved immensely and looked liked only team winning it in second half, playing with the level of intensity that we've come to expect. Just wish we'd start like that away from home more often. Slipped down to 8th now I think, so really have to beat Swindon at home.
                                          Was reports of trouble within the away crowd, people arguing over allocated seats and wanting to sit with their mates. Sounds like the stewards were enjoying themselves too at half time, being particularly heavy-handed. Seemed to be a lot of twats just out for getting pissed in London who'd never watched a game of football before, including one bellend who ran onto the pitch towards the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            Rayners Lane v Hatfield Town. Unless the pitch freezes over...
                                            It didn't freeze, it was waterlogged...

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                                              They had a minutes applause before kick off at Rotherham today but messed it up.

The announcer said a few sentences about Regis and then everyone started applauding. After a few seconds though, the announcer started talking over the applause about Rodney Fern and the other ex player who died this week.

It was Barnsley match day experience levels of wrong.
                                              It was the designated Rotherham Remembers match for the season, which possibly confused things.

Also, I'm not sure that we should celebrate a player whose main relationship with the club was scoring on his debut against us...

Comment

You might want to sort out that post upthread, Bored.

Comment

Yes, trying to sort that out and the laptop battery gave up and I had to go to work. Couldn't work out how to put in the pic form Saturday so you will have to put up with the ropey kit launch photo.

Comment

Swansea 1-0 Liverpool

Best bit of the first half was watching a number of wagtails (pied, I think) doing some fluttery aerobatics around inside the stadium. The second half wasn’t much better. Found a lovely pub down the Mumbles beforehand though, so it wasn’t a complete write-off of a day.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X