No announcement yet.

Personal Addictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee. Drinkable yogurt. I found a store that sells blue cheese which is really nice, so I will have to be careful. I would be stoned every day but I don't do it on a work day, which may be short, but are often.

(Hot sauce. In almost everything.)

Comment

I drink loads of coffee but don't consider it an addiction. I'd be mortified if I had to give up alcohol but I could say the same about anything I enjoy and I largely restrict it to weekends anyway. Tobacco will be the death of me though.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
        Genesis (the band, not the biblical stuff).
        I think I'd rather listen to the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
          Word.

Tea (Earl Grey or English Breakfast) and the Internet (smartphones, etc) for me.
          This, plus biscuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
            Statins (anti-cholesterol) in my case.

Dispensed almost as a matter of course these days - uses same enzyme pathways apparently - so leads to a build-up of the drug rather than allowing to combat the cholesterol
            Oh dear. I should check my instruction leaflets. Didn't realise statins were another one.

Comment

Iphone, chocolate and self loathing.

Comment

Lipitor is the one that all the geezers in my life are on, and have to avoid grapefruit. L's grandmother used to go off it for a week just so she could eat a grapefruit. She lived to 97.

Comment

Christ. You lot.

Comment

That's an exclamation, not a list of my addictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Oh dear. I should check my instruction leaflets. Didn't realise statins were another one.
                      Mine's now printed on the outside of the box.

(And I had to tell my GP that they were to be avoided - he hadn't known until he checked in his pharmacopoeia)

Comment

In addition to the coffee mentioned upthread:

Internet, obviously. Surely true for most of us. In my case, it's reading the news, almost obsessively, checking for updates and changes far more often than is healthy.

And, exercise. Exercise is an odd one because I generally don't enjoy it, and rarely want to go out and do it. But if I don't exercise I become a miserable, grumpy bastard. I don't even notice that I'm turning miserable and grumpy, and need people to tell me. I don't feel like I want to go for a run or a walk or a bike ride. But after I've been out, my mood changes like a switch has been flicked.

Comment

That's an exclamation, not a list of my addictions.
                          Nah it's not.

Comment

Bread, coats and CDs.

Comment

Lilt's less popular these days because they ruined it, surrepticiously replacing most of the sugar with artificial sweeteners.

As for my addiction - chips. Not through choice, you understand. Blame my mam's one note cooking - a women diametrically opposed to such radical ideas as flavour, freshness and basic nutritional value. She'd serve chips for pudding if she thought she could get away with it.

Comment

Crinkle cut, I trust?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                  Surprised to see all the grapefruit fans on here, at school we had to eat one weekly under duress and everyone used to smother theirs under half a pound of sugar to make the horrible bitter taste bearable. Can't think why anyone would willingly choose to eat one.

Anyway, chocolate for me.
                                  In a word — childhood. In my experience any food you were forced to eat at school will have a negative knock on effect into adulthood. Conversely grapefruit were a bit special when I was a kid, they weren't that common in English greengrocers in the 50s, post war scarcity I guess. So we'd only get them every few months.

Comment

Yeah, there are not many foodstuffs I actively dislike but grapefruit is one of them (others I can think of off the top of my head include marmalade, yoghurt and the good old-fashioned English cuppa).

Comment

Very, very, very loud guitar music. I'm 42 and - despite hearing problems in my youth - my hearing is sharp as a tack.

How do I repay the one part of my body which isn't being actively recalcitrant? I listen to very, very, very loud guitar music.

Oh, and I love beer, but I'm sworn off until June at least. Caffeine was jettisoned a couple of years ago.

I eat too much cheese. That, I fear, will be my downfall.

Comment

Coffee. Like Sam, I honestly can't remember the last time I went a day without it. Was probably when I was 16 or 17, so thirty years ago. I have been a daily smoker, but I quit almost ten years ago. I do like beer and other booze, but I go dry every January and have stopped drinking during the middle of the week. So coffee is really the one thing I'm truly addicted to.

Comment

Cigarettes.

I thought I was addicted to beer, but I haven't touched it (or any other alcohol) for four months, and the only drawback has been the realisation that I talk as much bollocks when sober as when inebriated.

Can't think of any food I couldn't do without. I eat what's available (unless it's beetroot or mustard, in which case I start gagging and/or crying).
                                          Last edited by treibeis; 19-01-2018, 19:16.

Comment

In this frivolous vein, an addiction, I assume, is something we can't go a day without which leaves some interesting deductions. Beer, cheese, chocolate, biscuits I can easily go a couple of days without, even the medication I am supposed to take every day I can go without for a day when I forget. So, I think that it must be caffeine in some shape or form. I stopped drinking coffee for a long weekend in Barcelona because they only serve bloody UHT and I suffered. Actually, in thinking about it, maybe it's the milk I am missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                              Crinkle cut, I trust?
                                              Crinkle cut Lilt?

Comment

Misreading things.

Comment

No you didn't.

Crinkle cut Lilt.

A 60s classic.

Sadly consigned to the dustbin of history alongside Spangles and Opal Mints.

Comment

Kiwi fruit. Eat at least one a day and always with the skin on.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X