No announcement yet.

Personal Addictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you'd be surprised how many people don't know that 'private browsing' is a thing.

Comment

Three:

1) Tea – not a problem terms of caffeine, as with a small child, getting to sleep is never a problem, but I suppose not great for the teeth
      2) Social media – like many or most of us, and I certainly find myself getting twitchy if I'm away for it for ages, though I still enjoy those breaks, so I think-hope I'm fine
      3) Washing my hands – not I think in an pathological kind of way, as I'm not really bothered about the odd germ, but I find myself doing loads of food preparation at home, and then doing stuff in the bathroom, and faffing around with dirty clothes, and somehow or another I find myself seemingly having to wash them all the time. I need a better system.
      Last edited by diggedy derek; 05-02-2018, 10:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
        Caffeine, alcohol, managed to break nicotine 7 or 8 years ago, betting on Saturday football
        Glad it’s not just me. All of the above the latter sometimes too much. The second not so much. Caffeine too,too much

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          Technophobes, ironic hipsters and the urban Amish.
          I thought these were your addictions. Dang page breaks!

Comment

Haha, I thought that too PT.

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
            Washing my hands – not I think in an pathological kind of way, as I'm not really bothered about the odd germ, but I find myself doing loads of food preparation at home, and then doing stuff in the bathroom, and faffing around with dirty clothes, and somehow or another I find myself seemingly having to wash them all the time. I need a better system.
            I'm the same Derek, have been like that since I was an early teenager at least. I don't mind getting dirty per se, or shaking hands, and I love animals, cooking, gardening, etc., but I can't touch an animal, or soil, or uncooked meat, or certain bathroom things, and then use the same hand to touch my phone or computer or clean clothes or food or my own face, for example. I try to structure some sequences of activities so they progress from 'clean' to 'dirty', but like you say I still seem to end up washing my hands loads.

I find it's best to try to overlook other peoples' different attitudes towards such things for the sake of my own sanity. My dad, for instance, is the type to chop up raw chicken breasts for a recipe, then without cleaning his hands grab the pepper grinder to add seasoning and leave sticky meat residues all over it, without apparently considering anything wrong with this – so it's all for the best if I don't know just how much he does this sort of thing.

Otherwise: chocolate, which I'm again trying to cut down on currently. OTF. Xpert Eleven. Self-doubt and -loathing. I've also developed an eBay browsing habit lately ever since I got a reasonably up-to-date phone and downloaded the app, and I need to keep reminding myself that whilst each individual thing I've bought indeed constitutes a bargain, if I buy enough of them this tends to get cancelled out overall.

Comment

I have a relatively new addiction to Bruce Cost Ginger Ale. I'm already worrying about not having it at my mom's house, but while getting that link, I saw a link to Amazon where I can buy a case of it (and have it shipped to my mom's house). Result.

Comment

I'm in therapy for my addiction, and while talking about it helps, and I've avoided relapsing for nearly three months now, I find the whole experience profoundly depressing. My mental health is all over the shop, and my attempts to exercise to help it saw me get sent off at 5 a side tonight for throwing a punch. What a silly dickhead. I've been recommended a mindfulness course, which I'd previously have written off as a load of middle class hippy shite, but I'm happy to try anything as I feel like I don't have a coping mechanism any more and I can't flush out this knot of stress and anxiety. Om, motherfuckers.

I was also briefly addicted to Stick Cricket, but I broke that habit by basically completing it. It's been replaced by a compulsive need to play Lego xbox games until I 100% them. Five hour stints of Lego Superheroes is preferable to my previous habits, but there's a whole world out there beyond Iron Man and Black Panther fighting the evil Krang over Lego Manhattan. Maybe I'll take up Spanish instead?

Wish I'd got into ginger ale. I really like ginger ale.

Comment

I know mindfulness does sound very "woo" and I was sceptical. But whilst I'm not sure I ever fully "got it" just the process was really calming. I attempted meditation - with the aim of mindfulness - for quite a while a few years back, and again never really thought I was doing it properly, but still gained a lot of inner peace.

So give it a go if you can.

Best of luck mate.

Comment

My woman did a mindfulness course but complained that it was somewhat disrupted by another attendee who kept rushing out of the room to take phone calls.

Comment

Originally posted by The Inner Light View Post
                      Glad it’s not just me. All of the above the latter sometimes too much. The second not so much. Caffeine too,too much
                      The Inner Light.

Just saw that episode a few weeks ago.

He's some actor.

Comment

Mark Lewisohn tweeted recently about the studio where George Harrison recorded the song of that title 50 years ago.

Comment

Caffeine is a problem because it is interfering with my moods and sleep. Beer and wine just make me sleep, as does a heavy meal.

Reading can be addictive, feeling that I have wasted a day if I've not read anything edifying, instead of just time sinking stuff on the web.

Comment

Working...
                          X