Personal Addictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Addictions

Grapefruit juice. At least half a pint a day.

Yours?

Peanut butter. Daily. Without exception.

Comment

Boringly, coffee. I genuinely can't remember the last day I had no coffee (or, at least, caffeinated beverage which approximates to coffee). But I do remember the last time Mrs SB thought I could function without it. We were going into Istanbul airport early in the morning, but I'd been awake for two hours - which is pretty much the limit of how much I can function uncaffeinated. It took something like 4 attempts to get through the x-ray machine, me emptying my pockets one item at a time. I think at that point we both accepted that it was silly for me to go into the outside world without.

Comment

Chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          Peanut butter. Daily. Without exception.
          Cool. I'm not the only one.

Comment

Iced coffee, preferably mocha flavored. I drink it year round. I hardly ever drink hot coffee.

My other addiction would have to be sugar. I don't mean like a spoonful of sugar, I mean sweets, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. This is my dieting Achilles heel.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Yours?
              Visiting my parents this Christmas I discovered that grapefruit (which my mum used to eat for breakfast every day) has now become fruit non grata in their house as (apparently) the consumption of grapefruit is contraindicated with most blood pressure medication. As a result the consumption of grapefruit and grapefruit juice has gone through the floor in the UK. (it seems these days that the majority of people over about 45 are on blood pressure medication)

I looked this up and apparently grapefruit speeds the release of the medication into the system thereby heightening side effects. So as a grapefruit fan and a high blood pressure sufferer I can only eat/drink grapefruit from about lunchtime onwards

Comment

Caffeine, alcohol, managed to break nicotine 7 or 8 years ago, betting on Saturday football

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Visiting my parents this Christmas I discovered that grapefruit (which my mum used to eat for breakfast every day) has now become fruit non grata in their house as (apparently) the consumption of grapefruit is contraindicated with most blood pressure medication. As a result the consumption of grapefruit and grapefruit juice has gone through the floor in the UK. (it seems these days that the majority of people over about 45 are on blood pressure medication)

I looked this up and apparently grapefruit speeds the release of the medication into the system thereby heightening side effects. So as a grapefruit fan and a high blood pressure sufferer I can only eat/drink grapefruit from about lunchtime onwards
                  I didn't know that, and I should have. Not for me particularly — my blood pressure's fine [Touching wood as I write.] — but La Signora's been on blood pressure meds since her 30s, and she didn't know it either. Fortunately she's not big on grapefruit in any form, nevertheless it's essential information, for which many thanks.

Comment

There's a lot of medication that contraindicates with grapefruit. Beta blockers are the main ones. I think it's a reason Lilt is less popular these days.

I'm addicted to my phone. Less so checking Facebook these days. But looking at this forum, other blogs / comment threads, is something I do so often it's probably an addiction.

And caffeine. Mainly in many cups of tea throughout the day.

Comment

Tea, coffee, cheese, biscuits, food in general really.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Yours?
                        Not for me.

Verboten

Comment

Crisps. Two bags a day, every day.

Coffee, though if I'm travelling I can just about get by without.

Swearing. Internally, if I'm somewhere where vocalising it could be problematic.

Comment

Ceylon Tea. Cheese.

Comment

Diet Coke

Comment

Extensive shower session every morning. I don't feel like a person if I haven't had one.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  There's a lot of medication that contraindicates with grapefruit. Beta blockers are the main ones. I think it's a reason Lilt is less popular these days.

I'm addicted to my phone. Less so checking Facebook these days. But looking at this forum, other blogs / comment threads, is something I do so often it's probably an addiction.

And caffeine. Mainly in many cups of tea throughout the day.
                                  Statins (anti-cholesterol) in my case.

Dispensed almost as a matter of course these days - uses same enzyme pathways apparently - so leads to a build-up of the drug rather than allowing to combat the cholesterol

Comment

Earl Grey. Always the first drink of the day.

(Edit: Probably more habit than addiction.)
                                    Last edited by Jah Womble; 19-01-2018, 10:01.

Comment

No addiction, because I don't lose my mind if I don't have them and won't need rehab to wean me of it, but I always have a full supply of Katjes liquorice (the red and green packets) in my cupboard for consumption while I'm watching TV.

Comment

Beer. And tea. But not at the same time...

Comment

Grapefruit a no-no for me too. All sorts of meds which clash.

Comment

I consume a ton of caffeine (Coke, tea, coffee), but I did once give it up to see what would happen.

I was half-expecting headaches, drowsiness and suchlike, but after a couple of day's adjustment, it wasn't an issue at all.

Comment

Surprised to see all the grapefruit fans on here, at school we had to eat one weekly under duress and everyone used to smother theirs under half a pound of sugar to make the horrible bitter taste bearable. Can't think why anyone would willingly choose to eat one.

Anyway, chocolate for me.

Comment

Marijuana. Genesis (the band, not the biblical stuff). Sex. Politics.

They don't all go together though.

Comment

One of my Dad's go-to breakfasts was half a grapefruit, sprinkled generously with sugar, warmed and browned under the grill. Actually wasn't bad.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X