No announcement yet.

Footballing misconceptions which are never likely to be corrected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 1-0* win in the away first leg of a European tie is particularly useful because 'they have got an away goal'. In this situation there is only one side that can possibly progress on away goals. And it isn't the one leading 1-0 from the first game.

* - or indeed any to nil, but it only gets wheeled out for 1-0 because a side that wins 3-0 in an opening away leg is assumed to just be way better than their opponents.
    Last edited by Janik; 17-01-2018, 19:02.

Comment

“We hope to come away with a result.”

That’s a given, considering how the scoring system works.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
        I think that Ray's wife has something against "He knows where the goal is". I seem to remember it is that it should be "He knows where he is in relation to the goal".
        Certainly seems to be, yes – I refer you to your own post of exactly this in the magnificent OTF Football Dictionary thread, Bored.

Comment

A local one: that Workington lost their league place in 1977 because Carlisle United voted against them.

Actually, while we're there, that Workington are called Workington Town. Or Workington Reds, come to that.

Comment

"The best team lost"

Unless it's Dynamo Berlin pre-wall fall, or any other kind of actual fix, they can't.

"We were unlucky"

Nope. Life is random. A football match is about how well you can overcome that randomness.

Comment

The Old Firm would be a great addition to the English football pyramid

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                Something I think I've mentioned before is that a more in-form keeper than Jongbloed may very well have saved both West German goals - they're not the greatest strikes. Swings and roundabouts...
                Sorry, 3 Colours. Breitner's penalty was about sending the keeper the wrong way and slotting the ball home decisively. And "They're not the greatest strikes" could apply to half the 68 goals Gerd Mueller scored for Germany and the other 600 he managed in his first class career: The connection only had to be sufficient - it was the speed with which he made the connection and the timing of it that counted.

Check out his brace v Italy in the 1970 semi. Scuffed, glanced trundlers - but imparting the only touch which could have got the ball into the net at those moments. Der Bomber was a nickname which invited misconceptions about what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  The Old Firm would be a great addition to the English football pyramid
                  That Old Firm fans would enjoy any kind of set up where they're not guaranteed a couple of trophies each season.
                  Last edited by Alex Anderson; 17-01-2018, 20:00. Reason: Sorry - that's only a misconception among Old Firm fans. And "there is an Old Firm" should be cited soon enough ...

Comment

Penalty shoot-outs are a lottery.

Comment

The Tartan Army are cuddly, harmless japesters.

Comment

There is an 'Old Firm'.

Goalkeepers are crazy.

Celtic fans don't support Scotland.

Everyone in Scotland's favourite second team is Partick Thistle. (It's their reserve team, if they have one.)
                        Last edited by Gerontophile; 17-01-2018, 20:30. Reason: 29 minutes, for those of you doing the sweep.

Comment

The Gordon Banks save against Brazil, is the best save ever.

Comment

Attend a game and you're likely to hear great examples of side-splitting wit and amusing comments or chants...

Comment

Goalkeepers can make themselves bigger.

Comment

That, apart from the goal line between the posts, the ball is out of play as soon as it touches (rather than fully crosses) the line.

I'm convinced that lots of throw ins, corners and goal kicks are given without the ball actually going out of play.

Comment

The English Football League play-offs are a "lottery", but the Champions League from semi-finals on is not.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
                                    Attend a game and you're likely to hear great examples of side-splitting wit and amusing comments or chants...
                                    Nick Hancock referred to the mag on Fantasy Football in a clip that made a compilation video.

"There used to be that thing in When Saturday Comes, 'The Man Behind Me Says...' and it's always something like, 'The Man Behind Me Says... When you're tired of London you're tired of life,' but that's not what the bloke behind me says. He's usually saying, 'YOU FUCKING BASTARDS! I DON'T KNOW WHY I PAY MY MONEY!'"

14.40 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXy5a2L9ySM
                                    Last edited by Giggler; 17-01-2018, 22:18.

Comment

Players trolling their rivals in public or on social media is just 'good-natured banter'.

Leave that sh*t to the supporters.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                        Often hear that Sir Alf Ramsey was wrong to substitute Bobby Charlton in the 1970 World Cup quarter final in Leon. Charlton was on a run of three goals in nineteen internationals.
                                        The timing of the substitutions is a classic example of the kind of misconception Denis Hurley presumably had in mind (i.e. known "facts" that aren't, as opposed to the general football bollocks in most of the thread). Beckenbauer had already scored.

Comment

Spot-on, tee rex!

Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira in the tunnel at Highbury in 2005 is another - the conventional wisdom is that Vieira was cowed and Arsenal were beaten before the game started, but Vieira actually put Arsenal ahead after seven or eight minutes before United twice came from behind to win 4-2.

Comment

Pelé scored over 1000 goals

Comment

England getting knocked out of the world cup in 1970 made the slightest difference to the result of the UK general election a few days later.

Comment

Away goals count double.

You need a calculator to work out group permutations in the World Cup.
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-01-2018, 11:51.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                                  ... a classic example of the kind of misconception Denis Hurley presumably had in mind (i.e. known "facts" that aren't, as opposed to the general football bollocks in most of the thread) ...
                                                  Sorry. My misconception.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                    Away goals count double.

You need a calculator to work out group permutations in the World Cup.
                                                    Or a slide rule to work out promotion and relegation scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X