Footballing misconceptions which are never likely to be corrected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footballing misconceptions which are never likely to be corrected

On the day Manchester United changed from grey shirts at half-time against Southampton, the Saints won 6-3.

The shirt-change happened in the 1995-96 season, with Southampton winning 3-0 at half-time and United pulling a goal back in the second half. It was 1996-97, when United wore blue and white for the whole game, that Southampton won 6-3.

Ryan Giggs could have played for England.

Comment

Give any manager a comfortably huge length of time to 'build' a squad and set-up in his image and he'll become a raging success, just like Alex Ferguson.

Comment

There was contact, he had a right to go down.

Comment

That shouldn't have been a penalty, the was only limited contact.

Comment

"If it's not a foul, then why isn't he booking him for diving?"

Comment

Sam Allardyce has never been relegated as a manager

(Except that time when he was Notts County manager in 1997 when they got relegated that everyone, including Sam, seems to conveniently have forgotten about)

Comment

'x is surprisingly quick for a big man' - no, you're thinking of Usain Bolt, or maybe Carl Lewis.
                Football is the only sport that is continually surprised by this.

Comment

A team that lost a game 1-0 would have won 2-1 if they hadn't have had those two goals disallowed, those two penalties turned down, and/or missed those two sitters (perm any combination within).

And a more specific example (not related to the above), Denis Law relegated Man United in 1974.
                  Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 17-01-2018, 14:32.

Comment

"The ball picked up pace on the greasy surface " not one you hear as much as before, maybe someone in Sky and the BBC explained basic physics to their commentators

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                      "The ball picked up pace on the greasy surface " not one you hear as much as before, maybe someone in Sky and the BBC explained basic physics to their commentators
                      Damn. I was about to post this one, but the ball didn't come down quickly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                        A team that lost a game 1-0 would have won 2-1 if they hadn't have had those two goals disallowed, those two penalties turned down, and/or missed those two sitters (perm any combination within).

And a more specific example (not related to the above), Denis Law relegated Man United in 1974.
                        In March 2011 I went to Shrewsbury versus Bury as a guest of my uncle in the new ground's hospitality suite. Bury were storming towards promotion at the time so it wasn't surprising that we found ourselves comfortably 3-0 up, though I had to sit on my hands in the middle of the home support when Steven Schumacher scored a tremendous free kick.

The fella next to me picked up on the fact I wasn't local though, and at the end claimed that it should have been 3-2 because they hit the post twice. I had to gently explain that this counts for nothing; there isn't a 'number of times hit the woodwork' column in the league table, next to goals for and goals against.
                        Last edited by Giggler; 17-01-2018, 16:33. Reason: Wrong year

Comment

"We've got the players."

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                            In March 2009 I went to Shrewsbury versus Bury as a guest of my uncle in the new ground's hospitality suite. Bury were storming towards promotion at the time so it wasn't surprising that we found ourselves comfortably 3-0 up, though I had to sit on my hands in the middle of the home support when Steven Schumacher scored a tremendous free kick.

The fella next to me picked up on the fact I wasn't local though, and at the end claimed that it should have been 3-2 because they hit the post twice. I had to gently explain that this counts for nothing; there isn't a 'number of times hit the woodwork' column in the league table, next to goals for and goals against.

This is one of my bugbears too, what’s even worse is that managers frequently cite hitting the frame of the goal as evidence of bad luck or having deserved more from a game. IF IT HITS THE POST IT’S A BLOODY OFF-TARGET SHOT, NO MORE!

Comment

Sir Bobby should have brought Dave Beasant on for Peter Shilton in the penalty shoot out at the Italia 90 semi final. Chris Woods was the named substitute goalkeeper that game.

Comment

Apart from the three goals, the keeper had nothing to do................ except saving the three goals...............

Comment

My favourite bugbear:

West Germany were lucky to win the 1974 final. Except that the foul on Hölzenbein was a foul (clumsy challenge and exaggerated fall, but Jansen brought him down); Taylor didn't give West Germany a penalty for a clear foul in the second half, and disallowed a Müller goal for off-side when there were three Dutch players in front of him. And Cruyff was lucky not to be sent off.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                    That's because Brian Moore is long gone.

(See also his obsession with "purchase" - something else that doesn't exist)

Comment

Originally posted by The-Reverend View Post
                                      Sir Bobby should have brought Dave Beasant on for Peter Shilton in the penalty shoot out at the Italia 90 semi final. Chris Woods was the named substitute goalkeeper that game.
                                      Well summarised here.

Comment

"He should really have had a hat-trick, having hit the post just before getting his two goals."

Nope, history would've been changed completely: for a start, the shot that hit the post must either have seen continued play or a goal-kick to the opposition, whereas a first 'goal' would've resulted in another kick-off, thereby altering everything that happened thereafter.

Comment

Burnley survived as a League club by beating Orient 2-1

Also needed Torquay or Lincoln to lose.

Comment

You can't really understand the game unless you've played it at the highest level.

Comment

The fans of this club are the most passionate/patient/supportive in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                "He should really have had a hat-trick, having hit the post just before getting his two goals."

Nope, history would've been changed completely: for a start, the shot that hit the post must either have seen continued play or a goal-kick to the opposition, whereas a first 'goal' would've resulted in another kick-off, thereby altering everything that happened thereafter.
                                                I was getting at the same thing above, if a team getting beat 1-0 misses two sitters, it doesn't mean they would have won 2-1, the rest of the game would have been different if they'd scored the first.

There's also the team that loses 1-0 off a dubious penalty/offside decision, and says they would have won if it wasn't for that, despite not scoring at any point.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                  My favourite bugbear:

West Germany were lucky to win the 1974 final. Except that the foul on Hölzenbein was a foul (clumsy challenge and exaggerated fall, but Jansen brought him down); Taylor didn't give West Germany a penalty for a clear foul in the second half, and disallowed a Müller goal for off-side when there were three Dutch players in front of him. And Cruyff was lucky not to be sent off.
                                                  Something I think I've mentioned before is that a more in-form keeper than Jongbloed may very well have saved both West German goals - they're not the greatest strikes. Swings and roundabouts...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X