No announcement yet.

Footballing misconceptions which are never likely to be corrected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it can be, but it often isn't. The recent Newcastle Man City game was an example of bus parking, and also a complete bore for all and sundry. If a red card turns a game into that, well...
    For Walt's example to class as a misconception, it would need to be plain wrong rather than sometimes wrong and sometimes right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
      That everyone was disappointed when Middlesbrough equalised against Chesterfield in the last minute in that FA Cup Semi-Final.

Some of us were delighted...
      The other way around - Chesterfield equalised in the 119th minute.

Comment

Whatever. It was very upsetting...

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          Yes, it can be, but it often isn't. The recent Newcastle Man City game was an example of bus parking, and also a complete bore for all and sundry. If a red card turns a game into that, well...
          For Walt's example to class as a misconception, it would need to be plain wrong rather than sometimes wrong and sometimes right.
          That may occasionally be the case, but, whatever, it isn't 'the ref's fault' if a player earns himself a second yellow or straight red: he's transgressed the laws and got himself binned.

Comment

The disputed Ronaldo goal against the Ticos can be seen in this clip between about 0:40 and 1:35.. The letterboxing is extremely enervating, but the angles from behind the goal do create some doubt.

Note that it was originally recorded as an own goal. FIFA only credited it to Ronaldo more than 24 hours later.

Comment

In my (ten men behind the ball) defence I thought we'd wandered off strict definitions of misconceptions a while back. I was disputing the (commentator's) cliché that an 11 v 11 is automatically better than an 11 v 10 - granted sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Comment

Erm, yes, that would be why UE included it on this thread.
                Erm, no, his was a caustic rejoinder to the preceding exchange.

Comment

"That's a good decision by the ref not to book him there. A yellow card this early in the game could set a precedant and ruin things". Utter bollocks. If a foul deserves a booking then it deserves a booking; if its in the first minute or the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

The ball hit the back of the net (it's the front. It's the back of the goal).
                    Hang on, the net has sides which are further forward so the other bit is the back of it.

Comment

Uruguay won the 1950 world cup final

Comment

Given that the 'net' itself is made of, well, 'net' - does it really have a front, back or sides anyway?

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                        Erm, no, his was a caustic rejoinder to the preceding exchange.
                        I read it as Janik did. And it's absolutely the case in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          That everyone was disappointed when Middlesbrough equalised against Chesterfield in the last minute in that FA Cup Semi-Final.

Some of us were delighted...
                          Could have been us in that semi final:

1) Serves us right for wearing white when there was no colour clash and

2) Twenty one years on, I still don't know what the fuck Deryn Brace was thinking.

We met Boro a couple of years later in the Cup. We beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                            Sunderland are a big club/sleeping giant
                            See also Cardiff City.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              Similarly, the Graun piece on Amanda Staveley and Newcastle starts with "For supporters of Newcastle United, the great, underperforming north-east football institution"

Underperforming? Compared to when, exactly?
                              The 19 noughties and the 1950s. Though everybody was happy enough 1993-1997 without any trophies.

Comment

Aberdeen FC were saved from relegation in 2000 because Brockville wasn't up to the required standard for the SPL.

A common statement from journalists, fans of other Scottish clubs, and occasionally also our own fans, that by repetition appears to have passed into accepted truth. It is true that we stank up the joint and finished bottom in 1999/2000. However, had Brockville been up to standard, the the ruling in place from well before the start of the season was that we would have gone into a three team playoff with Falkirk and Dunfermline Athletic (the SPL was expanding from 10 to 12 teams), from which only one team would go down to / stay down in the First Division. It wasn't, so we stayed up and the Pars came up automatically. Strangely enough, one never hears much from the Scottish media about Dunfermline "cheating the system", only Aberdeen.

Comment

There’s nowhere in football like Anfield/Parkhead for European night atmosphere. Fuckin Besitkas man. Unless they are pricking around with the sound booms, I’ve never heard a sound like that coming from my telly before.

Comment

How bad was the football under Porterfield, shackleford? The first two pro games I ever saw were at Pittodrie, the season after Himself went South. I was bored off my tits with a defeat and a draw against (I think) Hearts and Dundee, but even during the recent World Cup I’d been able to play with LEGO or whatever when there was a lull in the action. And you only got a few minutes each game on Scotsport or Sportscene mostly.

I remember the stadium seemed well modren, at least when viewing from inside the rickety old “family stand” (looking back, I guess a concession to casuals madness, just like Everton had their vaguely sinister “family enclosure”.

And fucking freezing.
                                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-01-2018, 22:14.

Comment

Players hanging in the air.
                                      There is science to back something like this up. It’s just an inarticulate choice of words.

Once someone has jumped into the air, the only force acting on them is gravity. Therefore their centre of gravity must be accelerating in the direction of the ground at a constant speed.

However, just because their centre of gravity is being pulled towards the ground doesn’t mean every part of their body is neccesarily moving downwards. If a player jumps in the air, and manages to thrust their hands and legs down at the right time, their head and shoulders can remain at the same point in the air - their body (or at least torso) effectively hangs in the air, even though its centre of gravity is always moving down, along with the legs and arms.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          How bad was the football under Porterfield, shackleford?
                                          I'd just turned eight when he left the club, so my analysis of what I was watching may have been rather basic....

The generally accepted position from Dons fans is that Porterfield brought in sub-standard players from the English leagues, but the remnants of Fergie's team were still there, and his W/D/L record is reasonable. Certainly my chief memories from Pittodrie 1986-88 are of regular victories. My first trip to Hampden was the 1987 Wee Cup final which we lost on penalties to Them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_S...ague_Cup_Final

That's still a strong Dons team. Porterfield was a disappointment after Ferguson, but a long way from some of the shite that got served to Dons fans between c.1995 and 2013. In addition to the McGhee era (taking 9 [NINE] at Parkhead) and the 2003/04 team, the 1999/00 team mentioned above was one of the worst. Weirdly enough, we reached both cup finals that season (inevitably getting pumped rotten by Celtic and Rangers).

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            There’s nowhere in football like Anfield/Parkhead for European night atmosphere. Fuckin Besitkas man. Unless they are pricking around with the sound booms, I’ve never heard a sound like that coming from my telly before.
                                            Seconded. When it's more vibration than anything you can actually hear, you know it's serious.

And the "Welcome to Hell" stereotyping from these parts ignores the bouzouki music coming over the Besiktas PA as they pumped Olympiakos in last season's Europa League - the very stuff that qualifies as side-splitting rapscallion wit when coming from the venues cited. Even though it's about thirty years since a rapscallion could afford a ticket for either.

Comment

After the 1990 World Cup, in a friendly versus Switzerland in Stuttgart, West Germany and East Germany "re-united" - or even just "united".

Or is this now as old as "it's not Holland - it's the Netherlands"?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                                After the 1990 World Cup, in a friendly versus Switzerland in Stuttgart, West Germany and East Germany "re-united" - or even just "united".

Or is this now as old as "it's not Holland - it's the Netherlands"?
                                                Just caught up on this thread. And this last comment ... oh God.

After the last World Cup final, having been live tweeting it (as an Argentina correspondent for several publications, like), I wished Germany congratulations on their fourth World Cup win.

I had youngsters filling up my mentions for what felt like days afterwards informing me that it was the first World Cup Germany had won. Some of them reacted to my reply (which was, basically, 'read a fucking book') by saying, 'ah okay, fair enough,' or words to that effect. Some of them got really really really argumentative and kept absolutely insisting that West Germany and Germany are two totally separate national teams.

One thing I'm not looking forward to about this year's World Cup is the obligation to be on Twitter during certain games. It's an event that seems to bring out the morons, even compared with normal football games.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                  Kevin Keegan's Newcastle team (Mk 1) were everyone's favourite team.

Newcastle's supporters are/were the best in the land.
                                                  I went to SJP once in the Keegan era. The visitors, West Ham, took a surprise early lead and held it until the last 10 minutes. In those 70+ minutes they were behind there was barely a peep out of the famous geordie choir, so I'd definitely second that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                    This is one of my bugbears too, what’s even worse is that managers frequently cite hitting the frame of the goal as evidence of bad luck or having deserved more from a game. IF IT HITS THE POST IT’S A BLOODY OFF-TARGET SHOT, NO MORE!
                                                    Further to this I'd add commentators/pundits describing such as scenarios as the shooter having been "denied by the post/bar". The goal frame does not prevent shots from entering the goal; if anything, the circular design surely aids the ball on its way if you catch it at the right angle!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X