No announcement yet.

Footballing misconceptions which are never likely to be corrected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost every football manager, player and commentator (let alone fan) has never refereed a single game. So inevitably most know little about it and show their ignorance regularly. For young players at least this could be changed without any real cost.

On a similar theme, today's I paper contrasted the Bundesliga (many coaches under 40, 2 at present who never played professionally) with EPL, where most locals are ex pros often over 50. And where high-profile simpletons like Terry are able to claim without challenge that's it's unfair on his mates and should be fast-tracked for them. If you must, buy a training school, hire some Germans and learn their language

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
      The fans of this club are the most passionate/patient/supportive in the country.
      Likewise, the snarky comments from Bury's board about a negative element. If they'd gone to Chesterfield or Northampton or Mansfield and buggered about with things, their fans would be just as upset as we were.

Comment

"On a similar theme, today's I paper contrasted the Bundesliga (many coaches under 40, 2 at present who never played professionally) with EPL, where most locals are ex pros often over 50. And where high-profile simpletons like Terry are able to claim without challenge that's it's unfair on his mates and should be fast-tracked for them. If you must, buy a training school, hire some Germans and learn their language."

It's shocking that the English game hasn't figured this out yet. Even the NFL knows this.

Comment

British people call it football not soccer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
            I was getting at the same thing above, if a team getting beat 1-0 misses two sitters, it doesn't mean they would have won 2-1, the rest of the game would have been different if they'd scored the first.

There's also the team that loses 1-0 off a dubious penalty/offside decision, and says they would have won if it wasn't for that, despite not scoring at any point.
            Ah, my apologies - it's indeed pretty much the same premise.

Comment

Years ago, I was watching a game in the boozer when Manchester City missed a penalty. A Manchester City fan was then heard to say, "Doesn't matter. Sometimes it's better to miss a penalty than to score it."

I don't think this counts as a misconception, though. This bloke was a bloody idiot. I heard later that his opinion of away goals (regarding competitions in which away goals are significant) was, "Away goals? Over-rated. Over-fucking-rated."

Comment

There is a subset of saves a goalkeeper can make called 'reaction saves' which are somehow better.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                  Years ago, I was watching a game in the boozer when Manchester City missed a penalty. A Manchester City fan was then heard to say, "Doesn't matter. Sometimes it's better to miss a penalty than to score it."

I don't think this counts as a misconception, though. This bloke was a bloody idiot. I heard later that his opinion of away goals (regarding competitions in which away goals are significant) was, "Away goals? Over-rated. Over-fucking-rated."
                  Typical City...

Often hear that Sir Alf Ramsey was wrong to substitute Bobby Charlton in the 1970 World Cup quarter final in Leon. Charlton was on a run of three goals in nineteen internationals.

Comment

Brian Clough is the best manager England never had.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                      Something I think I've mentioned before is that a more in-form keeper than Jongbloed may very well have saved both West German goals - they're not the greatest strikes. Swings and roundabouts...
                      It’s a common argument in the Netherlands that had Jan van Beveren been in goal and not Jongbloed, they would have won. Van Beveren’s feud with Cruyff and van Hanegem stopped the Netherlands greatest goalkeeper ever appearing in a major championships including 74.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post

Sounds like he had a problem understanding basic logic rather than football per se.

Comment

In the public utterances of the club (if not their actual marketing), everyone who is a fan of this club is someone who was brought here by an elder male family member and is from the lcoal area (or used to be), and has never contemplated watching any other team, asoposed to the reality that every fanbae contains second-club people, [eople who've moved to the area, people slumming it refusing to pay higher prices further up the league etc.

Comment

Milan meant to sign John Barnes and signed Luther Blissett by mistake, this combines two favourite racisms of the 80s, foreigners are stupid and all black men look alike

Comment

A cold, rainy midweek evening match in Stoke-on-Trent provides the worst possible conditions in which one can play professional football.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                My favourite bugbear:

West Germany were lucky to win the 1974 final. Except that the foul on Hölzenbein was a foul (clumsy challenge and exaggerated fall, but Jansen brought him down); Taylor didn't give West Germany a penalty for a clear foul in the second half, and disallowed a Müller goal for off-side when there were three Dutch players in front of him. And Cruyff was lucky not to be sent off.
                                The first time I watched that match from beginning to end it was evident that the Dutch were played off the park.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                  Milan meant to sign John Barnes and signed Luther Blissett by mistake, this combines two favourite racisms of the 80s, foreigners are stupid and all black men look alike
                                  Likewise, Ian Rush thought Italy was like a foreign country.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                    It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he's an exceptionally clever man who's spent a considerable amount of time devising new tactics and strategies.
                                    Pep has yet to prove himself at a club where he isn't managing the greatest attacking trio in football history and/or the richest clubs in the history of football.

Comment

"There's no substitute for speed."

Not passing and shooting accurately then?

"It's their Cup Final." (about any non-league side coming up against Football League opposition.)

No it's not, they're playing in the County Cup Final against Cowpat United in a couple of weeks, where they'll get a real trophy, medals and bottles of cheap fizzy plonk poured over their heads. By then this match will be just a memory.

Comment

British players don't dive or cheat.

The ball hit the back of the nest (it's the front. It's the back of the goal).

Certain clothing and/or matchday customs have an effect on games.

Going along with Ray's Giggs playing for England myth, I have had the reverse about Michael Owen.

I think that Ray's wife has something against "He knows where the goal is". I seem to remember it is that it should be "He knows where he is in relation to the goal".

Also, you can't give '110%'

Comment

"You'll win nothing with kids" (albeit that got corrected pretty quickly"

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                            The first time I watched that match from beginning to end it was evident that the Dutch were played off the park.
                                            Agreed, apart from the first 15 or so minutes when instead of pressing for a second against a clearly rattled Germany, the Dutch proceeded to Showboat where Cryuff would run around the pitch playing one-twos with all his teammates.

Comment

Aston Villa won the 80-81 League Championship utilising only 10 players. This seems to be reduced by 1 every 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                "There's no substitute for speed."
                                                Well that's the lesson to be learned from the 1974 world cup final, and six consecutive european cup finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                  The ball hit the back of the nest (it's the front. It's the back of the goal).
                                                  The referee shouldn't be starting a game if there are birds roosting on any part of the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                                    Aston Villa won the 80-81 League Championship utilising only 10 players. This seems to be reduced by 1 every 5 years.
                                                    And Peter Withe used to eat ten chocolate eclairs un the dressing room before each match "to steady his nerves".

(All righr, I've only read that once, but still.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X