Footballing misconceptions which are never likely to be corrected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you get the ball it's not a foul.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 18-01-2018, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Away goals count double.
      Aha! Interesting one, this, because that is actually how the EFL describe the operation of away goals as a tie-breaker in the Carabao Cup Semi Finals:

14.5 In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played. If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice. If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with procedures as approved by IFAB.
      https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-compet...--regulations/

Even though the 'proper' way of doing it (and probably how the score is recorded, though I haven't checked) is just to say Team X 'wins on the away goals rule.'

Comment

Which in itself is inconsistent with the rules the EFL use for the Playoffs:

2.4 In the Semi-Finals, the first leg shall be of 90 (ninety) minutes duration. If the aggregate scores are level at the end of 90 (ninety) minutes in the second leg, extra time will be played. If the scores remain level at the end of extra time the tie will be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark, in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.
        They are a funny lot, that Football League, aren't they.
        Last edited by Kevin S; 18-01-2018, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          Aha! Interesting one, this, because that is actually how the EFL describe the operation of away goals as a tie-breaker in the Carabao Cup Semi Finals:

Even though the 'proper' way of doing it (and probably how the score is recorded, though I haven't checked) is just to say Team X 'wins on the away goals rule.'
          On American TV coverage of the 1990 World Cup, when say West Germany beat England on penalties (to pick the example that unfortunately I remember most clearly), they showed the final score as 2-1.

Comment

kicker still do that, as evidenced by their report on last night’s FA Cup tie

Comment

England beat Germany in the 1966 World Cup Final

Comment

What I meant was they counted the entire penalty shoot out win as a single goal - so in that example again it would have been shown as Chelsea 2-1 Norwich.

Comment

Players hanging in the air.

Comment

Sorry about that, WFD.

That is even more barmy than the kicker method.

Comment

Doesnt that US thing come from the way ice hockey (the "big" North American sport that has a sort of penalty shoot out decider) is reported?

Comment

We didn't have shootouts in ice hockey in 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          England beat Germany in the 1966 World Cup Final
                          Ha! Yeah, Hurst's three goals all shouldn't have stood. But, fair play to the Germans, they might have queried the third goal, but never claimed a "moral victory".

Comment

Oddly, away goals "count double" is in the FIFA laws but not UEFA's competition rules. See footnotes 1 and 7: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_goals_rule

Comment

If away goals do count double then should, let's say, Ray Kennedy's in 1981 against Bayern Munich count as 2 not 1?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                We didn't have shootouts in ice hockey in 1990.
                                Ah. Are they a relatively recent thing then? Or have they come and gone a few times?

Comment

That A striker who needs five chances to score a goal, is in some way deficient, rather than operating at the cutting edge of accuracy and efficiency

Comment

The NHL introduced the shootout for regular season games in the mid-2000s, having previously introduced a 5 minute overtime in the mid 80s. When I was a kid, there was no overtime and draws/ties were as acceptable a result as they are in football. The idea was/is that they are less acceptable in the non-traditional hockey markets in the south and west that the NHL was targeting.

Playoff games still go to sudden death overtime, with a theoretically unlimited number of periods possible.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                      Ha! Yeah, Hurst's three goals all shouldn't have stood. But, fair play to the Germans, they might have queried the third goal, but never claimed a "moral victory".
                                      I think you misread my post. England didn’t beat the whole of Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

FUCKING TOTTENHAM.

Comment

Mickey Thomas scored the winner against Arsenal.

No, that was the equaliser - Steve Watkin made it 2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            FUCKING TOTTENHAM.
                                            Agree - stupid ruling. Having scored at WHL, Burnley should've gone through on ninety minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              Certainly seems to be, yes – I refer you to your own post of exactly this in the magnificent OTF Football Dictionary thread, Bored.
                                              Bloody hell, at least, I attributed t'lovely Mrs De Galles this time.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                Seriously, how many germans would know anything about the 1966 world cup final? it was a long time ago, and german teams have been in half the world cup finals since. I mean it must be difficult to keep them all straight in their heads at this point. This one will probably be remembered as the one in black and white that they didn't win.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                                  Everyone in Scotland's favourite second team is Partick Thistle. (It's their reserve team, if they have one.)
                                                  Kevin Keegan's Newcastle team (Mk 1) were everyone's favourite team.

Newcastle's supporters are/were the best in the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                    Bloody hell, at least, I attributed t'lovely Mrs De Galles this time.
                                                    Heheh. Her royalty cheque's in the post, I trust?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X