Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Lennon - Cruzeiro

Comment

I suspect we've moved one from "unimpressive" to " a bit weird" now, so I'll offer up Pikachu, Mahatma Gandhi* and Marlon Brandão

(*Direct quote from wikipedia "Not to be confused with Mohandas K. Gandhi, the nonviolence practitioner.")

Comment

Oh and then there's Pitbull too of course

Comment

And I've just discovered possibly the best of them all

Comment

Here’s Michael Jackson with an assist for John Lennon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3jsn_ja-3c

Comment

And while we’re here we might as well start on the obscene names:

Rafael Scheidt
              Argel Fucks

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                With Arsenal and Liverpool reportedly chasing Malcom
                The Guardian was close to a decent headline here - opportunity missed. Malcom is stuck in the middle of a crisis at Bordeaux

Comment

Getting back to the unimpressive, when Brazilian Dede Anderson signed for Swedish club Kalmar, there were already about five other Andersons in the squad.

Comment

Strictly on topic (unusual for me, I know), I'm guessing that that the former Man City and Everton "striker" Jo was so unimpressive we all just forgot about him... apart from me, obviously.

Comment

Oh my goodness. I did indeed forget Jô. Hidden in plain sight.

Last year not only did he win the title with Corinthians but he was also the league’s joint leading scorer and was, to much amusement, voted player of the year. This tells you a lot about the current state of Brazilian club football.

Comment

Bryan - Cruzeiro

Bryan is on the left.

Comment

And, having been desperate for him to miss his penalty against Norwich just now, there is of course Sideshow Bob

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            And I've just discovered possibly the best of them all
                            Famous for the "Don't Look Now" pass

Comment

During the close season in Brazil, the Copinha youth tournament is held and it’s always a good opportunity to discover some up and coming Brazilian names.

This year is no exception. Keep a look-out for the following who might soon make it into senior football:

Einstein
                              Mickey
                              Wandrerrilson

But my favourite has to be this young man:

Last edited by cantagalo; 03-01-2019, 00:33.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                Oh, for fuck's sake.

That's a hell of a name in the screenshot though, cantagalo. I hope he becomes the biggest player in the world, and refuses to be known by another name when he gets older. Just to piss the commentators off, like.

Comment

Going back to the original names, Salzburg had a Brazilian called Alan.

He once won man of the match in a UEFA Cup game at City as the deadpan announcement of “Alan” coming on as a substitute provided the only entertainment in a painful game and the fans picked up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                    Oh, for fuck's sake.

That's a hell of a name in the screenshot though, cantagalo. I hope he becomes the biggest player in the world, and refuses to be known by another name when he gets older. Just to piss the commentators off, like.
                                    Indeed. It would be a travesty if he became known as something like Petros. He’s already shortened his full name by more than a half.

Anyway, it’s a family tradition. He has three older siblings:

Pollyanna Navratilova
                                    Pollystheyvison Wandeckerkof
                                    Polloscovick Wandeckerkof

As you may have guessed, his father is somewhat obsessed by the Van der Kerkhof brothers, René and Willy, who played for the Netherlands in Argentina 1978.

Comment

As opposed to the Van der Kerkhof brothers, Bob and Stan, who nicked the lead off your dyke in 1941.

'Avatar' is stunning, and made me do a little wee.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                                        Going back to the original names, Salzburg had a Brazilian called Alan.
                                        There are lots of Alans playing in Brazilian football. The one you refer to is Alan Douglas Borges de Carvalho, formerly of Fluminense and currently in China with Guangzhou Evergrande.

Another famous Alan is Alan Ruschel, one of the four survivors of the Chapecoense aircrash, who heroically made a brief comeback last year.

Comment

If you get really bored, why not make your own!

I am of course, Geiro. (If I were going full on Brasilian Glaswegian, that would be Giro.)

Comment

Somewhat disappointingly, I got Gardina - which is my surname ending in an A instead of ER

Comment

Hocklimo

(or if I use ad hoc, the rather disappointing, but textspeaktastic "imo")

Comment

Ad, that would work if you were a suitably aged import to the Japanese League.

Comment

Robildo if I use the forename I'm generally known by. Which would probably earn me a further nickname.

If I use my actual first name I get Smão.

Comment

Smão is fantastic.

I'd get that on the back of a shirt.

Robildo is one letter away from ... someone I used to know.
                                                    Last edited by Gerontophile; 03-01-2019, 09:56.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X