Unimpressive Brazilian names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unimpressive Brazilian names

With Arsenal and Liverpool reportedly chasing Malcom, a player who sounds like he should be working in the accounts department of a minor provincial law firm what other unimpressively named Brazilian footballers are our there? Fred springs to mind, and Lyon had an Alan for a while, any others?

All the way from the Isle of Man, it's...

Comment

Bernard.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
        Fred springs to mind
        Is that Shakhtar Fred or Cruzeiro Fred? I'm surprised to learn there is a third Fred who currently plays in something called the Major Arena Soccer League but has previously appeared in MLS and the A-League.

Oscar?

Comment

Bill

Comment

Arthur

Comment

Felix

Comment

Gum

Comment

Alison.

Comment

The 1938 squad had Tim, Martin and Walter.

Comment

Plenty of Arthurs including the Grêmio star on his way to Barcelona. A few more off the top of my head - Jonathan of Atlético-PR, Erik of Atlético-MG and for the women there’s Muriel, late of Internacional and now at Belenenses.

My favourite has to be Walter of Atlético-GO who not only sounds like but also looks like he could play for your pub team.

Comment

There seems to be a (minor) thing to name your kids after US presidents in Brazil. Is there a Bush coming through anywhere (or even in a few years Bushinho)? We'll have reached the end times when Trump scores the winning goal in the World Cup Final

Comment

Here’s a checklist of footballing US presidents in Brazil:

Washington
                          Jefferson
                          Jackson
                          Lincoln
                          Arthur
                          Wilson
                          Kenedy
                          Nixon

No sign of any Bushes or Trumps but I wouldn’t bet against a few Obamas emerging in about 10 years’ time.

Comment

And I suppose if Kenedy is allowed, we should also include Madson.

Comment

I know he wasn't a president, but in a similar not-quite-spelling-it-right theme, wasn't Pelé named after Thomas Edison?

Comment

The opening scorer for Marseille tonight had 'Clinton' on his shirt. However I think he is African rather than Brazilian, and he has opted to have his first name rather than surname there.

Comment

Nixon? Really? They couldn't think of a better president?

Comment

Nilmar

As he was known in our house during THAT World Cup

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                      Nixon? Really? They couldn't think of a better president?
                                      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixo...o_Reis_Cardoso

Unimpressive as a footballer but I’m sure he’s a much better person than his namesake.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                          The opening scorer for Marseille tonight had 'Clinton' on his shirt. However I think he is African rather than Brazilian, and he has opted to have his first name rather than surname there.
                                          I suspect that is ex spurs player Clinton Njie who is of African extraction.
                                          We replaced him in the summer with Nkudu who servers the same purpose i.e none at all.
                                          We are not sure how good or bad either were as they never really got a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                            With Arsenal and Liverpool reportedly chasing Malcom, a player who sounds like he should be working in the accounts department of a minor provincial law firm what other unimpressively named Brazilian footballers are our there? Fred springs to mind, and Lyon had an Alan for a while, any others?
                                            He spells his bloody name wrong. the whole point of that name is that it means servant of Colm.

Comment

Wamberto.

When Belgian journeyman striker Bob Peeters was asked about Wamberto declaring for Belgium, he responded, "Why not? When I couldn't get a game for Belgium I tried to declare for Brazil."

Comment

I'm not sure Wamberto belongs on this thread. That's an amazing name, if you ask me.

Comment

Anglophone bias here, of course, but the name Miranda sounds like he should be playing with Marta. As does Rafinha.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X