Dolores O'Riordan Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    I saw them in the summer of '96 at a big outdoor theatre. I'm not entirely sure why, tbh. My GF at the time must have wanted to go. I've never owned anything by them, but never much minded them either.
    I can't see them being a great live band in big venues, but would probably do well in small ones. Aside from a few radio-friendly rockers, they were mostly sort of quiet and chill, often veering more into Thistle & Shamrock territory rather than the 120 Minutes audience they were mainly sold to.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
      I'm sure Snake didn't mean anything bad, my original post wasn't clear and indeed made it look like Butler was just an arrogant, temperamental sod. Anyway, thread diversion over.
      I wasn't talking about Snake!!!!!

Comment

Fucking Snake, man. Let's get 'im.

Comment

Absolutely nothing. That's why everyone thought it must be Snake.

Fucking Snake, man. etc.

Comment

I always was suspicious that Snake was offering to build this board to try and push his agenda like some NHS IT guy forming a Branch Davidian chapter.

Comment

heh, I wouldn't say offence as such. More it's important to allow a certain latitude for "unprofessional" Behaviour, as that's often a sign of some terrible trauma, rather than someone just being arsey.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Is there a parallel with Sinead O'Connor, who also makes cries for help?
                They knew each other, and Sinead's first husband (John Reynolds) worked with Dolores a bit.

Dolores on Sinead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCU7CYVt0GE

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                  I always was suspicious that Snake was offering to build this board to try and push his agenda like some NHS IT guy forming a Branch Davidian chapter.
                  Or we'd suddenly find it only ran properly using Plissken brand pixels for the True OTF Experience(R)

Comment

It's all a very sad story.

I absolutely fucking hated Zombie, obvs, but Linger remains one of my favourite pop hits of the early 90s, and there's a couple of others on their first album (Sunday, Wanted) that stand the test of time in that winsome, lovelorn way.

Comment

Linger is a beautiful song. 46 is too young to die. Leaving 3 children behind makes it even more tragic. That's all.

Comment

I never had a problem with Zombie as a record but the symbolism of the video is problematic.

There's also the truism that anyone who makes a record about the Troubles can be accused of exploiting them, unless their motives are seen to be absolutely above reproach.

OTOH can I, as an English male, tell an Irish band whether they are allowed to sing about their own island?

Comment

A Tweet from a Belfast-born-and-raised friend, yesterday

Comment

I thought the song was just saying "Shit's all fucked up there, you know, and its traumatizing the kids" in a kind of vague impressionist kinda way.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              I never had a problem with Zombie as a record but the symbolism of the video is problematic.

There's also the truism that anyone who makes a record about the Troubles can be accused of exploiting them, unless their motives are seen to be absolutely above reproach.

OTOH can I, as an English male, tell an Irish band whether they are allowed to sing about their own island?
                              if something offends or bothers you then say so. You're free to do so. Telling yourself to check your privilege is just as bad as telling someone else to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                I thought the song was just saying "Shit's all fucked up there, you know, and its traumatizing the kids" in a kind of vague impressionist kinda way.
                                It was specifically a response to the killing of 2 boys by an IRA bomb in Warrington. I don't think it's "patronising" to question the sort of mindset behind operations like that.

Comment

Huh. You'd think a political pop song could please everybody.

Comment

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-36493368.html

The father of one of the warrington victims liked it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                      Shut up and have a drink from this dispenser. Ignore the smell of petrol.

Comment

I think the video with soldiers in full battle dress advancing through a housing estate, (that looks an awful lot like the bits of Limerick in their other videos) like it was basra after the fall, with a song that is half about people not caring about it being half the problem, would have deftly skirted many of those criticisms tbh. That the whole thing ended within a year would seem to indicate that everyone was ready to agree with the proposition that this was fucking pointless.

The comment under that tweet would indicate that perhaps it wasn't that hard for someone from the south to patronize some people from the north. I am unconvinced about the idea that one has to live in northern Ireland to write a song about it. That's not a tenable position for someone from the nationalist community to hold. And it's not like Limerick didn't have a pretty active IRA set up centred around Patrickswell.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                          I am unconvinced about the idea that one has to live in northern Ireland to write a song about it
                                          Bully for you. You're right of course, we don't need any rank pulling here. But...

That's not a tenable position for someone from the nationalist community to hold
                                          ...nor any pretensions. Why would your opinion (or Dolores') be any more 'tenable' than those of Sting, Boney M or Johnny and the Self Abusers?

I don't mean to sneer, her death is obviously a tragedy but I always found her voice grating. I'd never before considered AP's point that other Irish people would be proudto hear it on FM Radio

Comment

Have you actually ever asked any Irish people then?

She was pretty talented, just leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                              It's been amusing to read how many music hacks have started their tributes with 'I never was a fan, but terrible shame etc...' Of course not, which music hack would dare admit they liked The Cranberries, for Christ's sake? But they have to get that bit in first, before they say what a terrible shame it is.

I enjoyed the first album one night when completely monged, but it never sounded as good when I wasn't. Saw them play a big venue in Offenbach in 1995, but I only really went because Dodgy were the support band. They sounded like they were tired and going through the motions already. It's funny how we forego the flippant thread titles when someone dies relatively young. What's the cut-off age for a black humour OTF tribute?
                                              No idea. What's the cut-off age for using expressions like 'monged'?

Comment

Grunge tribute song Zombie was a bit rubbish, but after to listening to their debut Everybody Else is Doing It, so Why Can't We? again, I am convinced that it is the best album to ever come out of the Republic of Ireland. It has aged extremely well.
                                                Last edited by anton pulisov; 17-01-2018, 10:22.

Comment

I've no idea how reliable the Santa Monica Observer is at all - not very, judging by some of the editing - but this has now emerged:

http://www.smobserved.com/story/2018...ndon/3287.html

Comment

I don't know if they could be sure if was suicide rather than an accidental OD, given that Fenanyl is such a ridiculously powerful drug. I sometimes wonder if people who sell this kind of the shit over the web (which is where I infer she obtained it) could be prosecuted for manslaughter.

Meanwhile this is a very decent cover:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-01-2018, 11:57.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X