No announcement yet.

Dolores O'Riordan Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what can I say instead of 'stoned', which sounds too old even for me? [Probably should be a different thread altogether given the way poor Dolores died.]

Comment

I'd suggest it's also worthwhile to remember that one particular cultural context is not the universal one. It's not uncommon to hear/read UK-based people using terms like Oriental or South Sea Islander, even if they are impeccably sensitive about other labels. Different environments, different prominence of different minorities (e.g. nobody in the NZ media would add a plural "s" to Maori - and some would insist on the macron too - but I don't take umbrage at different usage in a different context). Norms are learned and variable, not stone tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
        So what can I say instead of 'stoned', which sounds too old even for me? [Probably should be a different thread altogether given the way poor Dolores died.]
        Mashed, blitzed, cooked, wrecked?

Comment

I think that imp is right that we should take this fascinating discussion off the Dolores O Riordain thread. Perhaps we can start a dedicated etymology thread or etymology and abuse. thread.

"beyond the pale" comes from the English occupation of ireland. The Pale was the fenced area around Dublin where English law applied. The rest of Ireland was therefore "beyond the Pale".

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            Mashed, blitzed, cooked, wrecked?
            Baked?

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
              Also Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                Where does it come from, out of interest?
                The Dublin area was the area of Ireland that was traditionally under constant English control. The area was known as "The Pale." Anything outside of this area was considered as being inhabited by uncivilised, savage Gaels.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  I think a few of these terms are like that, and the key is to let people know when they use them (as here). I've called a few people out on using "gypped" for "conned", for example, and I 100% believe that they had no idea where the term came from. Indeed it was on OTF that I learned where the expression "beyond the pale" came from.
                  I didn’t know that about Pale either until just now.

Comment

I never heard “mong” before and if I did, I thought it related to “monger” as in “fishmonger.”

Comment

I've only heard it in the offensive sense, though I don't smoke so... It does remind me of a line which I think can be attributed to Stewart Lee.

"If Ricky Gervais says the word 'mong' in a forest and no-one can hear it, do Americans still think he is a genius?"

Comment

Coroner's verdict - death by drowning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45434898

Comment

Michael Carrick once tweeted the hashtag 'get amongst it'. He had to apologise and point out he didn't tweet 'get a mongs tit'.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                            Coroner's verdict - death by drowning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45434898
                            It's not clear from the report whether the coroner thinks she took a risk that led to the death (hence misadventure).

I initially thought it sounded like Whitney Houston's death but upon looking that up it seems that Whitney was so stoned that she fell in while checking the temperature.

All very grim, obviously. Are there any stats on the prevalence of drowning at home while intoxicated?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              Are there any stats on the prevalence of drowning at home while intoxicated?
                              1 person a day in the USA apparently.

There's an epidemiology study from Japan because it happens so frequently there, apparently. Most at risk group are male, heavy habitual drinkers aged over 50.

Comment

Working...
                              X