Dolores O'Riordan Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolores O'Riordan Dead

Aged 46 and leaves behind three children.

Was not expecting this. RIP.

Blimey this and Cyrille Regis.

Comment

Fucking hell.

Comment

Poor woman. that's no age.

they had some right clunkers, but after fucking U2, it was nice to hear an irish act singing in their own idiosyncratic accent, and fuck the world. and Dreams was about as good as pop songs got in 1993.

Comment

That's a fuck of a shock. Harry and I went to see one of their early gigs at the Camden Underworld in, I have just found out, 1993. They weren't particularly my type of thing - sort of reminded me of an Irish Catatonia - but she had a great voice but was very self-effacing and shy. She obviously went onto become more comfortable with fame. As everyone said, no age at all and terrible for her family.

Comment

Props to her from me as well for singing in her Limerick accent. I was an Irish kid outside of Ireland and there was this megagroup all over MTV with a singer singing in an accent not to dissimilar from my own.

46 is much too young.

and Dreams was about as good as pop songs got in 1993.
            Second that as well.

Their best song. Props to Stephen Street to for the production as well.

edit: The video would appear to be the most 1993 thing you could think of as well.
            Last edited by anton pulisov; 15-01-2018, 18:41.

Comment

Feel very shocked by this.

Comment

I couldn't claim to be a fan either - and have certainly stuck it to some of her songwriting on these pages - but I did quite enjoy Linger and the aforementioned Dreams at the time.

But, holy cow, that is very sad news indeed.

Comment

I was visiting Ireland when Linger broke into the UK charts and the sense of pride that brought to the Republic was something I didn't understand at the time. RIP.

Comment

Sorry to hear this R.I.P, a friend of mine's brother in law dated her in their teens (true ) and claimed to be the inspiration for LINGER (says a lot about his ego ),as a few people have said already it was great to hear an Irish band do well in the States

Comment

Zombie is a great track and video - have played it to my students. The most recent album was only a year ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someth...berries_album)

Comment

Was quite obsessed with Linger when it came out, and thought they would go on to be massive. Saw them supporting REM in 1995. I'm quite shocked really, I'm the same age.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Zombie is a great track and video - have played it to my students. The most recent album was only a year ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someth...berries_album)
                          I agree. It's the one most reviled, but it's a perfect 90s - soft-loud-soft-loud song.

I jumped off their bandwagon after the third album, which I just didn't like as much as the first two. I knew they still played together sometimes, but can't recall hearing any of their recent stuff.

It's shocking and awful. She's a year older than me. Fuck.

Comment

Her and her ex had a place on Big Bald Lake, just outside of Buckhorn, ON. It's about a kilometer, as the crow flies, from my family's place (since sold). The cover photo on her last solo album is shot on the lake in winter.

Comment

God almighty, her poor family. RIP.

Comment

I've ambivalent about her work as an artist, but that is really not relevant, is it? 46 is no age. And kids are left without their mother. Extremely sad. RIP.

Comment

Was never a fan to say the least but bloody hell thats horrible. 46 man.

Comment

Is there a parallel with Sinead O'Connor, who also makes cries for help?

Comment

It's been amusing to read how many music hacks have started their tributes with 'I never was a fan, but terrible shame etc...' Of course not, which music hack would dare admit they liked The Cranberries, for Christ's sake? But they have to get that bit in first, before they say what a terrible shame it is.

I enjoyed the first album one night when completely monged, but it never sounded as good when I wasn't. Saw them play a big venue in Offenbach in 1995, but I only really went because Dodgy were the support band. They sounded like they were tired and going through the motions already. It's funny how we forego the flippant thread titles when someone dies relatively young. What's the cut-off age for a black humour OTF tribute?

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                        I won't lie, for a second there I was considering doing such a thing.
                                        What were you thinking? "Didn't Linger" or .... ?

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                          It's been amusing to read how many music hacks have started their tributes with 'I never was a fan, but terrible shame etc...' Of course not, which music hack would dare admit they liked The Cranberries, for Christ's sake? But they have to get that bit in first, before they say what a terrible shame it is.

I enjoyed the first album one night when completely monged, but it never sounded as good when I wasn't. Saw them play a big venue in Offenbach in 1995, but I only really went because Dodgy were the support band. They sounded like they were tired and going through the motions already. It's funny how we forego the flippant thread titles when someone dies relatively young. What's the cut-off age for a black humour OTF tribute?
                                          I listened to their catalog last-night on shuffle on Spotify. Yeah, as it turns out, most of their non-hits, especially after first two albums was a bit, ummm, tuneless and dirgey. Just not my thing. And that one about not doing drugs was a bit on the nose, though I'm usually fine with that. But I liked her as a vocalist, regardless. I'd like to hear what she made with different bands with different writers.

Comment

I saw them in the summer of '96 at a big outdoor theatre. I'm not entirely sure why, tbh. My GF at the time must have wanted to go. I've never owned anything by them, but never much minded them either.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              Is there a parallel with Sinead O'Connor, who also makes cries for help?
                                              w
                                              Well both struggled with Bipolar disorder. Both had a pretty grim time of it growing up, in broadly similar, and all too common ways. One was intensely private though and had the money to live in that privacy, and revealed what happened to her, primarily as a means of explaining unfortunate incidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                                One interesting thing to note is that The Cranberries' American success began to take root during their 1994 tour supporting Suede. This was the tour where Bernard Butler grew sick of being in the band and would often not turn up for shows, leaving The Cranberries' guitarist to cover for him! By the end of the tour, in what must have felt like a complete humiliation for Suede, The Cranberries were the headline act.
                                                That should be a lesson for every pretentious up their own backside "artist" who thinks that turning up and putting the effort in for the punters is beneath them.

Comment

I'm not sure that that's a great line to follow, on a thread about a performer who took a hammering for not being all that communicative in interviews, for reasons that weren't apparent at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X