Cyrille Regis RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyrille Regis RIP

The West Brom former players association have announced Cyrille Regis died last night of a heart attack. He was 59.

Terrible news. Always loved him, and now players I grew up with who aren’t much older than me are dying.

Comment

Yes agreed - loved Cyrille, who'd been an electrician and played for Hayes I think until he was in his twenties . He seemed to have such zest on the pitch, And the shit he had to put up with...

a bullet through the post

Didnt see Giggler's thread

Comment

Oh shit.

Coventry were my local team at university and I used to go to probably on averega every other home game. Cyrille was an absolutely superb player, and the partnership between him and the diminutive Terry Gibson was fantastic. RIP

Comment

Very sad news. He played for Hayes in the year I was born - and only played one season at Church Road - but his achievements in the professional game, and just the feeling that he was a thoroughly decent bloke, mean that he has always been proudly regarded as 'one of ours'.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Oh shit.

Coventry were my local team at university and I used to go to probably on averega every other home game. Cyrille was an absolutely superb player, and the partnership between him and the diminutive Terry Gibson was fantastic. RIP
            nice interview about his time at Coventry (including winning the FA Cup) here

Comment

Oh man.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                nice interview about his time at Coventry (including winning the FA Cup) here
                Sadly he remembers Coventry beating Sheffield Utd in the Quarter final of the cup in 1987 in that interview, whereas in fact they beat us. Ogrizovic scored if I remember correctly

Comment

A great player and a great man.

https://youtu.be/0Pf0wHuw6AU

Comment

Amazing tributes on twitter, Baggies and Coventry fans, people who played with him, all of whom saying what a great player and great guy he was.

And more or less every black player in Britain paying tribute to his role as a trailblazer- like this from Mark Bright: "more than just a footballer, he blazed a trail for every black player who followed him, an inspiration to myself and many players of my era. A humble man and a great man."

Comment

Absolutely shocked to hear this. Always used to score against us (including the goal of the season in 82) but was still a favourite player of mine. Too young. So sad.

Might have to watch the famous 5-3 game again in homage to him.

Comment

RIP indeed - terrific player.

Comment

Ron Atkinson’s tribute

Comment

Oh no, so sad. Great player, top bloke, put up with a lot of persecution. RIP

Comment

I feel really sad about this news. 59. Shit.

Comment

Terrible news to lose such a genuinely iconic (an over-used terms but one Regis deserves) player so young. His importance to players and supporters alike has been clear from the reactions this morning.

His senior career actually started at my local club Molesey for a season prior to his time at Hayes. He returned there a couple of years ago for this portrait and, as I think I’ve said before on here, it captures the man so well :

Comment

New Year's Day 1979. West Brom vs. Bristol City at the Hawthorns. I was in the Bristol end that was happily throwing bananas at Laurie Cunningham when he took corners and singing "Regis, Regis, gimme dat banana". We felt like walking out, but hanging around waiting for the coach outside a 1970s away ground at our age was not a good idea at the time.

Anyway, it shows what these blokes had to put up with at the time. Albion stuffed us 3-1 and played some beautiful football. They really were a great team that year. I remember thinking that Derek Statham was going to a superstar, and with him and Batson piling forward they were beautiful to watch.

Cyrille always came over as a lovely man. A real Midlands hero. I heard even the Wolves fans loved and accepted him.

Comment

Yes, horrible news. Wonderful player in circumstances most of us cannot imagine.

Comment

Should have won more England caps.

1978–1982 England U21 6 (3)
                                      1978–1980 England B 3 (0)
                                      1982–1987 England 5 (0)

Comment

Thankyou very much for Cyrille Regis, thankyou very much, thankyou very very much.

Comment

Very sad. One of the most iconic footballers of my early teenage years, one of my mates is a Baggie so the big man was always someone we enjoyed watching, or pretending to be in kickabouts - cannot believe he's gone so young.

Comment

Shocking news indeed. RIP big man.

Comment

So just Brendon Batson left of the so-called Three Degrees.

Comment

Great player, particularly at WBA where I saw him a few times. People are praising him for being a powerful player and he certainly was, but when I saw him at Villa he was really clever. His bare goal stats don't tell anything like the full story about the player he was. Very sad.

Comment

RIP and thank you, Cyrille.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X