No announcement yet.

Cyrille Regis RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That clip reminds me - were Stanley taking the fucking piss advertising at football matches in the 70s and 80s? Was there an actual team sponsored by Stanley?

Comment

I had it in mind that Southampton were, but on checking I found out it was actually one of Stanley's rivals (Draper Tools).

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
        That clip reminds me - were Stanley taking the fucking piss advertising at football matches in the 70s and 80s? Was there an actual team sponsored by Stanley?
        "Stanley?"

"... 'oo are they?"

Comment

Although I knew about this, it always shocks me to be reminded of it.

Comment

Winston White of The Forgotten Fifteen played in it. He's fairly pragmatic about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius
              Probably because he's "Jamaican Born" Raheem Sterling.

While we are at it, why does being Nigerian born have anything to do with him buying a £2.25 Million pound house?
              Nothing at all. The reason I mentioned it was as the key detail behind such a non-story making the news. Like Bordeaux Education I was baffled by that frame and when I searched for more info, the link that came up made reference his Nigerian roots.

If my post makes me look as bad as them then I'll consider editing it, but to me it wouldn't fully answer the question without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                Winston White of The Forgotten Fifteen played in it. He's fairly pragmatic about it.
                The BBC repeated Adrian Chiles' documentary about the game last night, so it's probably on the iplayer. The black players who appeared in that on the whole said that they had been enthusiastic about the game and really wanted to win it. (They may of course have been more willing to revisit it on screen than other members of the team.) It wasn't such a big thing for the white team. The documentary has as much grim stuff about the times as you'd expect and the fortitude of the players and their wives in handling it is astonishing. Bob Hazell talks most directly about just how painful the abuse was and remains in memory even now.

Comment

it's a very moving piece. And the story about George Berry is amazing.

I found the image of Tony Brown with his hands on Brendan Batson's shoulders compelling.

Comment

Haven’t ever heard John Giles talk about this.

Comment

"In five-a-sides we used to have the Jocks and the blacks versus the English," remembers Cyrille Regis, one of the stars of the black team. "I think the idea may have sprung naturally from that."

I wonder how many games of fives the Anglo-Saxons won against Regis, Cunningham, Batson, Ally Brown and Ally Robertson? Not very many would be my guess, Bryan Robson notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
                        Nothing at all. The reason I mentioned it was as the key detail behind such a non-story making the news. Like Bordeaux Education I was baffled by that frame and when I searched for more info, the link that came up made reference his Nigerian roots.

If my post makes me look as bad as them then I'll consider editing it, but to me it wouldn't fully answer the question without it.
                        No need to edit it. I wasn't sure if you were posting a reference or posting an opinion. I'll amend my post and thanks for your clarification.

Comment

Excellent post Sean, and this was the precise MO used for Sterling.

I’m sure if Harry Kane bought his Mum a house there’d be something about what a good lad he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                            I didn't think it was either. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say Tony Galvin.
                            Paul Miller

Comment

Who knows. All these white blokes look the same to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X