No announcement yet.

Battle of Attrition: Melbourne edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind you, I'm sure Zverev will win a slam eventually, as the field thins out. Only 4 of the top 25 players in the current ATP rankings are under 25. The average age of the top 25 men in the current *live* rankings (quicker to compute than for the current official top 25 as the live ranking site has the age data) is a quite extraordinary 28.9 years. (That's a decimal fraction, not a number of months, after the point.) [Edit: 12 of those 25 men - again, the live rankings list - are 30 or over.]
    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 20-01-2018, 12:42.

Comment

Predicted winners now we have the last 16 of each draw?
      I'll go for:
      Men's - Federer (uncontroversial)
      Women's - Keys (not sure why, just got a feeling)

Comment

Djokovic and Wozniacki

Comment

Must be a good chance that Sharapova will never win another slam. Limited player, whose record is not that great anyway.

Comment

Nadal and Svitolina

Comment

Edmund is getting regular breaks of the Seppi serve right now, three of the last five times the Italian has had the balls in his hand, and is a set away from the QFs.

Comment

Edmund into the QF

Comment

I know this is hardly news but Kyrgios is a dick

Comment

Cracking match, though.

Comment

Heart says Halep or Svitolina and Nadal. Head says Kerber and Dmitrov.

Cool choice of black Nike by Svitolina.

The Kontaveit - Suarez Navarro match was interesting. Overwhelming physical dominance against overwhelming mental strength. Brains won over brawn, just. But one of those games which makes women's tennis just as interesting as the men's.

Comment

Woohoo! Simona breezes through.

I'm a bit worried about Janik. It's not like him to be absent for so long during a grand slam tournament, though I now see that he did pop in for a short post yesterday morning. Hope all is OK Janik and it was just a busy weekend.

Comment

The Thiem Sandgren match seems like a bit of an epic. Just entered the fifth set after Thiem won the 4th set tie break 9-7 (and saved a match point in the process)

Comment

At the moment (though its still far from over in either match) a quarter final of Sandgren vs Chung looks a real possibility. Not something that anyone would have expected, I'll wager

Comment

Sandgren goes through, and the other match looks very tight. In the first set Chung raced out to a 4-0 lead before being broken back twice by Djokovic , and then winning the tie break. The second set he led 4-1 before Djokovic broke back and now it looks like we're heading for another tie break

Comment

No I was wrong, no tie break, Chung takes it 7-5 for a two sets to love lead.

Comment

Just turned this on and watched a brilliant pressure hold by Chung. Who the hell is this kid? Looks to have everything.

Poor old Djok sounds like he's in agony on every shot. I wish he wouldn't do that splits thing. It makes me worry for him.

Comment

Chung through in straight sets. Absolutely brilliant tennis.

Comment

And there it is, Chung wins 7-6, 7-5, 7-6 (but there are a lot of service breaks in there from both of them.)

Chung vs Sandgren it is then. Winner to play Federer or Berdych

Comment

Kia must be beside themselves with joy.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          Woohoo! Simona breezes through.

I'm a bit worried about Janik. It's not like him to be absent for so long during a grand slam tournament, though I now see that he did pop in for a short post yesterday morning. Hope all is OK Janik and it was just a busy weekend.
                                          No wifi for a couple of days. But I'm back now. My contribution will be limited by the lack of a proper keyboard this week, so no previews of the QFs etc. from me this tournament, I'm afraid. My random selections leave a lot if headroom for anyone else who wants to take it on to be more accurate.

Sandgren, Chung and Edmund in the Slam QF draw, though, eh? Well, everyone said it was the most open Men's draw for years...
                                          Last edited by Janik; 22-01-2018, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            And there it is, Chung wins 7-6, 7-5, 7-6 (but there are a lot of service breaks in there from both of them.)

Chung vs Sandgren it is then. Winner to play Federer or Berdych
                                            Will this be Federer's easiest route ever to a final?

Comment

Mr Sandgren sounds as if he may be a bit of an "interesting" character:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-open-twitter

Comment

Edmund has just gone 2-1 up. One set from a grand slam semi final...

In other news Svitolina surprisingly (to me) lost in straight sets to Mertens

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                                  Mr Sandgren sounds as if he may be a bit of an "interesting" character:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-open-twitter
                                                  Fucking hell, what a cunt. Come on, Chung!

Comment

Edmund breaks for 3-2 and then is immediately broken back. Nerves?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X