No announcement yet.

England's redemption Down Under? Aus ODIs & NZ Tour 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ends NZ's run of 9 ODI wins. Stokes was man of the match...

Comment

That was a finish

Comment

Some excellent bowling for Curran in that second last over. Loved that leg break he bowled.

Comment

Excellent batting so far from England as YJB gets his century from 91 balls. With Root batting serenely on, Eng 220/1, not 1/220, after 34 overs. Big score on a reasonably sized ground looking likely.

Comment

My feeling that Ben Stokes is an unreliable idiot wasn't changed by that shot. The idea that he's the guy who'll suddenly make England from a below average to a world beating team, and if only he'd been there for the Ashes we'd have had a chance, is just nuts.

Comment

This is quite something.

Comment

Yep exactly SB. After a big big stand you don't mind one batsman getting out cheaply chasing quick runs, but for the third of three to do the same is pretty brainless. Despite the claims, Stokes isn't a great cricketer just a bam bam player who appeals to the ignorant masses

Comment

Stokes is a proper Test player. He's played some patient, measured innings when the team is in a hole. I think he's an unusual allrounder in that there's more potential in his batting, which could make him into a formidable adversary than his bowling, which I think will just add the odd great spell here and there.

Of course ODIs perhaps a different matter

Fantastic game, I find it hard to be disappointed after that. And the game was just beautiful to watch, the setting and the spectacle.

Comment

Fair points DD, I'd forgotten about some of his Test innings (I'll blame a couple of medicinal drinks for that). Just hope that the hype around Stokes doesn't get to him and he feels that he has to conform to being a big hitter for every innings; something that Andrew Flintoff certainly struggled with until way too late in his career. Just that after Morgan and Buttler had got out so cheaply (and blame should also be aimed at them too), it needed a more mature performance from Stokes rather han just trying to batter a big score. The game was certainly England's to have won.

Agree with you about Dunedin, amongst some pretty high quality opposition, it's one of NZ's more beautiful grounds, and was an apt host to a beautiful innings from Ross Taylor.

Comment

That England innings reminded me of this Surrey collapse from 1993.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/c...e-2322496.html

(This was one of the first games with a TV umpire, but it didn't go particularly well)

Except 1993 Surrey didn't have Tom Curran coming in at 10. What a gem he played. Shots all round the ground.

Comment

Good Lord, what a game. Only just looked at the score.

Comment

And whilst it's a naturally small ground, there was none of this monkeying about with the boundary sizes either, as whilst I was watching, there were a couple of 3's scored.

Comment

What I saw was great. Bairstow had a 107m 6. At first glance, I thought it had landed in an industrial estate, but from the replay I could tell that the building was in the ground.

Comment

I sat up all night liveblogging the fucker –*an astonishing innings from Taylor, albeit with an outfield so small it reminded me of the time I saw Botham wallop 175 against Northants at Wellingborough School back in 1986. England's bowling, having been brilliant with the new ball, lacked variety but wasn't that wayward either.

England-New Zealand ODI series are about as good as it gets, at the moment.

Comment

Top work E10. And we'll get a proper decider tomorrow night an' all.

Comment

Really good bowling by England so far. Credit to Morgan for keeping on the opening bowler longer than he probably planned before.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                    saw Botham wallop 175 against Northants at Wellingborough School back in 1986.
                                    That's not one I know.

Who did he have at the other end? Peter Roebuck? If it had been Viv, Botham would have exploded and got out after about for about 18.

Comment

Colin de Grandhomme is Mr Six And Out.

Except, as Ray Illingworth would have said "I'll get him for less than six".

Comment

116/6 off 32 overs.

That's like a lunchtime score from an old Nat West Trophy games, if you ignore the 6 wickets.

Comment

Rather disappointingly one sided decider sees Bairstow destroy the NZ attack and England win by 7 wickets with 17+ overs to spare

Comment

After scoring a century on his debut in the 2-test series against the West Indies and keeping competently enough, Tom Blundell hits 131 retired against England and finds out that BJ Wating has been selected for the forthcoming test matches. With Watlings track record, you can see where the selectors are coming from, but still seems a bit rough.

If anyone can explain what the point, value or purpose of a 2-day game is over a proper 3 day match I'd appreciate it. A 3 day game gives both batsmen and bowlers a second chance assuming that a second innings is played, which, weather not withstanding, it often is. A 2 day match just looks like its one day of batting and one day of bowling, which if you get out to a snorter, doesn't give a batsmen another chance to get their eye in.

Comment

This isn’t going well for England at Eden Park

6 for 2, with Cook and Root gone

Comment

16 for 3

Comment

https://twitter.com/thecricketermag/status/976635847704563713?s=21

Comment

Thought the old 26 at Eden Park might be erased for a moment ... but no, England FIGHT BACK.

This is seriously strange shit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X