No announcement yet.

Icht bin Binliner nicht mehr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind the font so much, but bloody hell, that homepage top menu. Fussbudget's spot on about it looking like a ten-year-old Telegraph site.

Is there any reason they're going tabloid? Although I note from ap's photo that The Times seemingly has done already. Does this leave the Telegraph as the only UK newspaper still published as a broadsheet? Seems like a fitting holdout for holding out's sake if so.

Comment

Is there any reason they're going tabloid?
      Cheaper to print.

Comment

To have a look at the new-look font, I scrolled down and clicked a story - by Barney Ronay, about the prospect of Alexis Sánchez moving to Manchester United. I was a bit irked that Ronay stated Sánchez has only won one league title in his career, so tweeted him to correct (it's four; three in South America, one in Europe). And his reply raises a point I hadn't even considered when asking why the paper would switch to tabloid format.

So, not just cheaper to print - cheaper to pay journalists who earn by the article, as well.

https://twitter.com/barneyronay/status/952983938988945408
        Last edited by Sam; 15-01-2018, 19:33.

Comment

It looks so dated and so fiddly.. reading onscreen gives me a headache. The guardian had such a great design. Was thinking about Google redesign, a shock that something familiar changed but soon one over by the simplicity, and the advantage of vector lettering. This is a step backwards in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
            It looks so dated and so fiddly.. reading onscreen gives me a headache. The guardian had such a great design. Was thinking about Google redesign, a shock that something familiar changed but soon one over by the simplicity, and the advantage of vector lettering. This is a step backwards in every way.
            Google still have that messed up shortcut bar across the top though, where the links keep moving about.

Google "flowers" and the shortcuts along the top are "All - Images - Maps - Shopping - Videos - More"

Google "North Korea" and it is "All - News - Images - Maps - Videos - More"

The order of the stuff changes. I've misclicked a bunch of times.

Comment

The font has now changed on the app, but none of the other changes on the website seem to have carried over.

Comment

No, my app had changed this morning. Everything looks as shitty as the website. Including the big G in a font usually favoured by neo-nazis as the idenitifier thingy.

Comment

Come now. It's a specially commissioned new font called "Guardian Illegible" or something.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                    Google still have that messed up shortcut bar across the top though, where the links keep moving about.
                    Google "flowers" and the shortcuts along the top are "All - Images - Maps - Shopping - Videos - More"
                    Google "North Korea" and it is "All - News - Images - Maps - Videos - More"
                    The order of the stuff changes. I've misclicked a bunch of times.
                    Interesting, AP – I think I'd noticed this sort of thing subliminally without ever consciously considering why the headings vary.

I presume it's a deliberate choice, or more specifically some kind of algorithm, 'prioritising' the shortcut headings most logically relevant to the subject at hand. No-one needs "News" about flowers, after all, but are more likely to be looking for images of them or where they can buy them. North Korea, on the other hand, is more likely to be searched for by people interested in news about the place, but not a hell of a lot by people wanting to shop for North Korea-related things.

It might well be that the headings simply rearrange themselves in order of most-clicked, left to right.

Comment

Or we are the lab rats in yet another A/B test.

Comment

Gosh, the new layout of the Weekend magazine hurts my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          Interesting, AP – I think I'd noticed this sort of thing subliminally without ever consciously considering why the headings vary.

I presume it's a deliberate choice, or more specifically some kind of algorithm, 'prioritising' the shortcut headings most logically relevant to the subject at hand. No-one needs "News" about flowers, after all, but are more likely to be looking for images of them or where they can buy them. North Korea, on the other hand, is more likely to be searched for by people interested in news about the place, but not a hell of a lot by people wanting to shop for North Korea-related things.

It might well be that the headings simply rearrange themselves in order of most-clicked, left to right.
                          Yes, I also think that's most likely what they've done and why.

But from a user interface point of view it is kind of similar to moving the brake, clutch and accelerator around based on a computer algorithm that decides which you are most likely to use next.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                            Gosh, the new layout of the Weekend magazine hurts my eyes.
                            If you're still conflicted between FOMO* and preserving your eyesight, upon viewing through the appropriate protective equipment it turns out to be the same old crap.

* - official OTF acronym of the week.

Comment

But the quiz!

Comment

3/15.

Far too difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                  But the quiz!
                                  True, but I've been feeling out of sympathy with The Graun in general and Weekend in particular since the fashion column made a disparaging reference to 'bridge-and-tunnellers' before Christmas. This seemed a bit rich in a publication that spends most of its time trying to hit up its readership for a loan until payday, but I may have missed the Holly Golightly fabulousness underlying it.

Comment

Got my first min-Graun on Saturday. Not too bad, but I don't like the booklet-ing of the Review; it doesn't fold into my back pocket properly...

Comment

Yes, it didn't sit right. The old Berliner used to fold nicely over the Saturday mags, and then you could almost roll it up for easy carriage. The new tabloid is too small to do that vis-a-vis the inserts. Deeply unsatisfying.

As is the fact that I'd read half the fucking articles on the website on a slow Friday afternoon.

Comment

Yes, the observer's shrunk to tabloid size yet the colour supplement has grown back to 1970s size. Not keen on the rebrand. It feels like I'm reading the times, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Am halfway through the sports section. 24 pages instead of the 18 or 20 pages it had as a broadsheet. And no article on the front page. More of a front cover.

Are the telegraph and the financial times the only true broadsheets left in the uk?

Comment

You can't do this with a tabloid newspaper.

Comment

Am I the only one who feels like the redesign has just made it look like the Evening Standard?

Comment

Nope

Comment

Working...
                                              X