African Nations Championship on global scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

African Nations Championship on global scale

The African Nations Championship, starting today in Morocco, is for teams made of of players who play in their own domestic league. Quite a nice idea, I think. Got me wondering what a World Cup would look like on the same basis. England's team would be totally unchanged, but most other countries, even Spain and Germany, would lose some key players, wouldn't they? And Belgium and Brazil would be unrecognisable?

We'd be fucked.

Comment

It would be won by the country whose league pays the highest wages.

Comment

Is it a representative team of that nations league or a national team made up solely of home based players (like england and nz rugby)?

Comment

National teams picked solely on the basis they play 'at home', yes. Like I said, England's would be untouched.

Comment

Argentina might be good for a group stage shock, but that'd probably be about it.

Are the managers home-based as well, or do the bosses of the full international teams take charge?

Comment

Germany would win it at a canter at the moment. Though if they were well-managed and we were not restricting ourselves to the qualified 32 I think Italy should be strong.

Comment

So the 'home players only' African Championships isn't something I'd heard about (I rely on OTF for that kind of thing- where WERE you?).

Assuming it is 99% 'spare the poor European clubs' in motivation?

Comment

Mexico would still be quite strong I'd guess? And the Saudis like England would be unchanged.

I see DR Congo have won two out of the four championships so far- Tunisia and Libya the others. You'd expect South Africa to be strong, but they've never even made the semi-finals.

Comment

I'm guessing DR Congo basically bung TP Mazembe in. Egypt appear to have withdrawn from this, not sure why but you'd think they'd be strong. Zamalek and Al -Ahly are the Real and Barca of African football.

Comment

All the more curious that DR Congo failed to qualify this time.

Comment

It's worth noting that

a) this is not the African Cup of Nations, it's the African Nations Championship

b) it is the fifth edition of the tournament (DR Congo have won it twice)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Argentina might be good for a group stage shock, but that'd probably be about it.

Are the managers home-based as well, or do the bosses of the full international teams take charge?
                          It's a mixture of both Sam. BBC Sport had a preview but I can't find it at the moment.

Comment

Interesting. Argentina managed by Marcelo Gallardo could punch above their weight. His River Plate have shown an annoying disregard for the league, but he seems to get how to do knockout football very effectively.

Comment

2018 African Nations Championship: Group-by-group guide - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42603601

This is the preview I saw, not much info on the players but does name the managers.

Comment

I see I'm on ursus' ignore list.

(my respect for the man's judgement has only increased)

Comment

Can't believe I didn't know Sudan's nickname was the Nile Crocodiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                    So the 'home players only' African Championships isn't something I'd heard about (I rely on OTF for that kind of thing- where WERE you?).

Assuming it is 99% 'spare the poor European clubs' in motivation?
                                    I think the motivation is more to promote interest in local leagues.

Comment

Working...
                                    X